stripe

Monday Numbers: 22J 6.9,HTTYD2 5.1,Malef 2.2

Wow fantastic hold for the fault in our starsGREAT IT DESREVES IT. IT'S AN AMAIZNG AND FANTASTIC MOVIE

Once again...looking solely at dailies rather than the big picture. -55% from last Monday. Only "fantastic" when compared to the near 70% drop on its 2nd weekend and its miniscule budget. We'll see how it hold up during the week since we now know this is not a weekend film. Regardless, it's a great return on investment for Fox.

Everything has disappointed, audiences are looking for an event film, TF4 definitely has a good shot at the June OW. It's positioned perfectly

It looked like HTTYD2 was positioned perfectly as well.

• Like 5

It looked like HTTYD2 was positioned perfectly as well.

Well I posted a few weeks back that I was beginning to get a KFP2 vibe from Dragon, so I wasn't as shocked as most were. And we knew Maleficent took the female demographic the weekend before and broke out bigger then most had thought. So there were signs, we just let our love for Dragon blind us.TF4 has ZERO warning signs as of this moment. It's being marketed heavily, social media is abuzz with activity, tracking puts it at 100m with a couple weeks to go and the ads have been effective pretty much the opposite of Dragon in every way. The only reason people think TF won't hit 100 is blind hatred for the films. The 3rd was well-received, the summer has disappointed so far and people are ready for the event of the summer.

The only reason people think TF won't hit 100 is blind hatred for the films. The 3rd was well-received, the summer has disappointed so far and people are ready for the event of the summer.

I actually like the Transformers films a lot (well except the second one) but I don't think this will do $100 million either. It's a narrow possibility but I'm expecting $90-95 million.

Honestly I hope I am wrong. 

Well I posted a few weeks back that I was beginning to get a KFP2 vibe from Dragon, so I wasn't as shocked as most were. And we knew Maleficent took the female demographic the weekend before and broke out bigger then most had thought. So there were signs, we just let our love for Dragon blind us.TF4 has ZERO warning signs as of this moment. It's being marketed heavily, social media is abuzz with activity, tracking puts it at 100m with a couple weeks to go and the ads have been effective pretty much the opposite of Dragon in every way.The only reason people think TF won't hit 100 is blind hatred for the films. The 3rd was well-received, the summer has disappointed so far and people are ready for the event of the summer.

To say the only reason people think Transformers won't make 100 million OW is blind hatred is a bit silly.

Maybe people think the 4th installment is going to lose some steam from a box office standpoint.  There is quite a bit of precedent with Pirates, and Shrek.  They both had 2nd and third films open over 100 mill and the 4th came crashing down.

I see under 100 much more likely than unlikely and it certainly isn't blind hatred.  I really enjoy the films, especially the first one.

Well I posted a few weeks back that I was beginning to get a KFP2 vibe from Dragon, so I wasn't as shocked as most were. And we knew Maleficent took the female demographic the weekend before and broke out bigger then most had thought. So there were signs, we just let our love for Dragon blind us.TF4 has ZERO warning signs as of this moment. It's being marketed heavily, social media is abuzz with activity, tracking puts it at 100m with a couple weeks to go and the ads have been effective pretty much the opposite of Dragon in every way.The only reason people think TF won't hit 100 is blind hatred for the films. The 3rd was well-received, the summer has disappointed so far and people are ready for the event of the summer.

You have to be fucking kidding me. So now because someone predicts less than 100M OW for TF4 is a hater? I can't wait to see this damn thing in IMAX 3D and have my mind blown and I love TF1 and TF3. It is the event movie of the Summer to me. Right now, I just don't think it will open over 100M. So I am a hater. Whatever. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

agreed, even though TF4 looks enjoyable it looks like more of the same and the new lead actors I think are a step down (Wahlberg is a good actor but looks to be in his Planet of the Apes/Happening mode here) I think 100m should happen though

Well I posted a few weeks back that I was beginning to get a KFP2 vibe from Dragon, so I wasn't as shocked as most were. And we knew Maleficent took the female demographic the weekend before and broke out bigger then most had thought. So there were signs, we just let our love for Dragon blind us.

TF4 has ZERO warning signs as of this moment. It's being marketed heavily, social media is abuzz with activity, tracking puts it at 100m with a couple weeks to go and the ads have been effective pretty much the opposite of Dragon in every way.

The only reason people think TF won't hit 100 is blind hatred for the films. The 3rd was well-received, the summer has disappointed so far and people are ready for the event of the summer.

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2014-06-17-transformers-age-of-extinction

'Transformers: Age Of Extinction': Tracking, Social Media Trends Point To Yet Another $90 Million+ Opener; How High Will Overseas Go?

Transformers: Age of Extinction is set for its June 27 domestic bow as Michael Bay's fourth effort in the franchise aims to rekindle excitement with a new star in Mark Wahlberg, new heroes in the Dinobots, and a new logo to coincide with a slight shift in tone.

Audience tracking has so far indicated the sequel could open in the $90 million range (a recurring theme with four films having done so since April). Unfortunately, online enthusiasm is building at a slow pace. Extinction's Twitter activity is running 36 percent behind Godzilla at the same point before release, as well as 51 percent behind X-Men: Days of Future Past, and 63 percent behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Those are concerning signs for this kind of fan-heavy series. 

Flixster anticipation is on par with the latter two films, while the movie's official Facebook page is adding new "likes" at a slower rate than any of those comparisons. On the plus side, Transformers boasts an incredible 31.7 million Facebook fans entering Tuesday, ranking among the highest of any franchise. However, that figure represents the overall brand's health rather than strict interest in this particular movie.

While May delivered a streak of strong openings from tip to toe, none of those films have sprouted notable legs outside of Maleficent and Neighbors. This could be an advantage for Age of Extinction as it looks to capitalize on what's been an atypical summer market. Still, franchise fatigue has recently proven its unfavorable effects on multiple series going beyond the three-movie mark as ticket buyers grow weary of sequel overload. The same looks to be the case for Transformers as the saga has shed some of the 2007 original's audience goodwill following sequels in 2009 and 2011. The glut of action movies this April and May is also softening upfront demand.

• Like 1

Because it's incessantly repeating the same thing and just finding more ways to berate it. Plus, I don't think he or she has even seen the movie yet. At least the Maleficent haters have been burned by that movie. I wasn't around for Godzilla or XM to know who or what is trolling them.

I've already blocked him, so no big deal, I just don't want to keep going into topics wanting to read about people's opinion about the movie, good or bad, or numbers, just to see the same person posting the same thing about Dragon failing to make $200m/$400m/Madagascar 3/1 billion/OW sucks/meant to be biggest summer film etc. Most people post once. Anyway, it's done.

I've blocked you too. :)

I am not sure if this is anything to worry about because unlike X-Men this should appeal way more to kids and families. 

Yeah, Transformers 4 is going to be a big family movie. X-Men and Godzilla both skew older, I think.

To say the only reason people think Transformers won't make 100 million OW is blind hatred is a bit silly.Maybe people think the 4th installment is going to lose some steam from a box office standpoint. There is quite a bit of precedent with Pirates, and Shrek. They both had 2nd and third films open over 100 mill and the 4th came crashing down.I see under 100 much more likely than unlikely and it certainly isn't blind hatred. I really enjoy the films, especially the first one.

The 4th installments also came out in crowded summers with big breakouts. Nothing has broken out this summer except maybe Maleficent, Godzilla by a bit and Neighbors/Jump Street. Most films have disappointed, which pretty much cancels out any drop it could've had thanks to franchise fatigue. I'm not arguing about gross. It should make less then the 3rd domestically, but OW the GA will show up, because they're desperate for an event film.