stripe

Monday Numbers: 22J 6.9,HTTYD2 5.1,Malef 2.2

When all hope for the summer relies on late franchise sequel that has had major changes in cast, you know you're in trouble...

Drops in grosses for later editions of franchises with major changes in cast(within five years, and not including reboots/prequels):

Batman & Robin(-41%)

The Bourne Legacy (-50%)

F&F: Tokyo Drift(-51%)

OHMSS(-47%)

The Next Karate Kid(-77%)

POTC:OST(-22%)

Smokey and the Bandit III(-91%)

The only instance I can find where a cast had major changes and the sequel increased in gross was ST: Generations. But we all know why that was, and that does not apply with TF4. But, even with the advantage of a built-in audience, Generations actually dropped in attendance from Undiscovered Country.

So best case scenario for TF4 would be OST, which would mean 275m.

Transformers deserves 10 million (just a lot of explositions in movies that don't make amy sense). But audience loved the others, Variety says tracking is for 100 million +, then is almost assured 100+.

• Like 1

When all hope for the summer relies on late franchise sequel that has had major changes in cast, you know you're in trouble...Drops in grosses for later editions of franchises with major changes in cast(within five years, and not including reboots/prequels):Batman & Robin(-41%)The Bourne Legacy (-50%)F&F: Tokyo Drift(-51%)OHMSS(-47%)The Next Karate Kid(-77%)POTC:OST(-22%)Smokey and the Bandit III(-91%)The only instance I can find where a cast had major changes and the sequel increased in gross was ST: Generations. But we all know why that was, and that does not apply with TF4. But, even with the advantage of a built-in audience, Generations actually dropped in attendance from Undiscovered Country.So best case scenario for TF4 would be OST, which would mean 275m.

I'm talking about OW only. TF4 may cross 300m, but that's about as far as I think it will go.

Everything has disappointed, audiences are looking for an event film, TF4 definitely has a good shot at the June OW. It's positioned perfectly

Dragon sure as hell wasn't an event film. I was getting tired of people calling it the breakout hit of the year.

I'm talking about OW only. TF4 may cross 300m, but that's about as far as I think it will go.

Remember that all the other TF films opened mid week. So, these tracking estimates of 90-100m will not cut it for a 250m finish, let alone 300m. TF4 needs something more like 115m+ to aspire to the higher 200ms to 300m.

• Like 2

Dragon sure as hell wasn't an event film. I was getting tired of people calling it the breakout hit of the year.

It could've easily been had it been marketed towards kids instead of young adults, marketed more heavily and not had Maleficent breakout. Had those 3 things happened we would be talking about a 250-300 million dollar film.

TF4 will probably do 1 bilion worldwide.Don't deserve, but it'll do.

I hate the Bayformers movies, but even I know those movies will always make a shit load of money. 

:ph34r:

Edited by Mojoguy

It could've easily been had it been marketed towards kids instead of young adults, marketed more heavily and not had Maleficent breakout. Had those 3 things happened we would be talking about a 250-300 million dollar film.

Yeah, well it won't. Blame DW for the bad marketing.

Remember that all the other TF films opened mid week. So, these tracking estimates of 90-100m will not cut it for a 250m finish, let alone 300m. TF4 needs something more like 115m+ to aspire to the higher 200ms to 300m.

I would ordinarily agree, but with the lack of competition I see much stronger legs then the previous installments had. That plus the fact that the action is "on a whole other level" (according to Robert) will spread good WOM IF the movie is decently entertaining.

TF4 will probably do 1 bilion worldwide.Don't deserve, but it'll do.

1B is a cakewalk, 1.2B is what it's aiming for. I really wish I could change my WW prediction for TF4 right now in the BSG.

I hate Transformers too, obviously.And Michael Bay is one of worst film directors ever.His movies are only about big explosions.But he gives what people Want, cause his movies made a lot of money.

Yeah, well it won't. Blame DW for the bad marketing.

I know it won't. At this point I'm anticipating a 150m finish so I can get the grief over with as quick as possible and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Transformers 4 is gonna have a big increase in Asian markets but have a significant decrease in almost all of the developed markets - guaranteed.1.1b IMO

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 3