#ED

Wknd Est: TLM2 - 30M, 22JS - 29M, HTTYD - 25.3M, JB - 13.5, [DOFP - 6.2M]

However if TF4 opens sub 90m next weekend I'm officially blaming Dragon and several other movie's performance on a new box office slump.

Blame it on Spidey. Fuck, we can blame pretty much anything on him.

• Like 1

sorry, I can't stand any spin for this movie. It was supposed to be the top grossing or second top grossing of the summer and it won't even reach 200m at the box office. It is a disappointment. Plain and simple

Not spinning - I am simply stating the statistical evidence for its performance past OW. The gross I could care less about at this point.
  • Like 1

I'm passing out guys.I love you all.Tele, Pink, E, Sam, Empire, Claire, CJohn, AA, Baumer, Neo, chewy, Grim, Mulder, Mango, Jay H, J Andrew,, water bottle, dragon, K1, Marston, Blank, red devil, Damienroc, Jack, MGS, Tawasal, Dex/Jesus, BKB, RTH, Spaghetti and everyone !Peace and love!

Edited by #ED
  • Like 13

Nope. Those are all the BSG predictions, they had to be in before the first weekend in May.

Yikes. Well, I think we can all agree that perhaps Dreamworks should stop making sequels. First Panda 2, now this. 

• Like 1

Eh - after 10+ years I get tired of seeing the same "world is coming to an end" when a film supposedly under performs. Course since we live in an age where under 90% on RT is a bad film it's not wonder people can't accept the BO for what it is. You would think that Dragon was Cleopatra or The Golden Compass the way people are throwing doom and gloom around and have been for a week.

I love that we feel the same way, considering that you and I both go so far back when it comes to following box office (and are among the few "originals" that remain). :D But really, it's baffling how people let their expectations color everything else. Judging by the reactions of some here, you'd think it was the release of Cutthroat Island, not friggin' How to Train Your Dragon 2. Geez!

• Like 2

However if TF4 opens sub 90m next weekend I'm officially blaming Dragon and several other movie's performance on a new box office slump.

With a 165 minute runtime, it just might. I can see some people not deciding to go watch it just based on word of mouth which says "The movie was good, action was good, but it was almost 3 hours long".

The biggest advantage TF4 has is the fact that July 4th weekend is its second weekend. Will help early legs.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Madagascar 3 had an 85% second Friday jump the same time of year with a higher first Thursday. If HTTYD2 can't even match that then I'm totally out of ideas for what on earth went so wrong with it.

Again up or down a week on the schedule this time of year makes a difference - post FD is always weaker than the weekend prior. And Mad3 had a higher point to work off of than Dragon so your comment about the Thursday number is void.
  • Like 1

Do you guys realize if TF4 doesn't have at least a 95m OW or so DOFP could be the highest grossing movie of the summer with a whopping 230m or so? :blink:  I mean holy fuck that would be awful for the #1 summer movie.

Could be. I'd like to think Apes will break out. 

• Like 1

It's gonna be a long night of baseball folks.

Never give up, never surrender!

It's really not that impossible. As much as Transformers might hurt, keep in mind Superman Returns came out right around this time for X3 followed by Dead Man's Chest whereas DOFP will have Transformers which will hurt but it might even see a small boost legs-wise with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes due to double features. It lands within a few million IMO.

• Like 3

Yikes. Well, I think we can all agree that perhaps Dreamworks should stop making sequels. First Panda 2, now this. 

I can't agree, since those were 2 sequels that I quite liked (Dragon 2 was fantastic).

They may have not preformed that well at the box office, but I can't agree that they shouldn't be making anymore sequels.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Adjusted for inflation, Who Framed Roger Rabbit looks to be the lowest grossing #1 summer movie since 1980. Comes out to $302m or so. Yeah, I don't think TF4 is beating that. And it would have to beat it by like 50m+ to sell  more tickets with 3d and IMAX.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1