CJohn

Weekend Estimates | TF4 - 100M (Paramount sticking to 100M for the Wknd Est)| More Numbers on Page 1

It's pretty annoying the way the term "rape" gets tossed around (not just here, but in almost all Internet communities). Find a different word.

Rape

noun

an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation

verb

to plunder (a place); despoil.

Jesus. I hope Corpus Christi is an outlier.Transformers - 2732Cap only did 1910 on it's opening day.

I wonder if the Texas side of it helped, it was bigger here as well.

• Like 1

Well, I mean, it's not like he's misusing the word.

It's a word we prefer not be used in this context. It's a cheap metaphor and it devalues the meaning, plus we've had sexual abuse survivors complain about its usage.Edit: you can post the definitions if you like, but I repeat: we don't allow it to be used in this context here. Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 5

Really enjoyed TF4-will do a report as soon as I find the thread. (Critics always seem to dislike these type of films, I be more disappointed if they liked it. I mean they even hated films like ID4 and Top Gun as much as I hate to say it)

• Like 3

Yes, i did a post about this other day...if was filmed using Imax digital camera, but no 15/70 films versions were made, so everyones running digital imax which as you probably know has smaller footprint in the proper Imax theatres, however ratio for this one was suppose to make screen size a bit bigger but nothing like full screen if 15/70 print was showing.

In all honestly, it felt like the screen was bigger for Godzilla(which I assume was converted).How is this possible?
  • Like 1

What was wrong with it  in your opinion vs part 3 and part I  Jim?

Kal, I might be in the minority, but I rank the movies  II, I and then III.   AoE is just explosion after explosion and nothing more.  Nothing else made sense.

• Like 2

Rape

noun

verb

Its just in poor taste...

The word means more then violence towards women, however considering the issue these days the word should not be used in such a nonchalant manner. 

Just got out of the movie. Was thoroughly entertained, plenty of plot holes, plenty of contrivances, but the length didn't grate. Audience applauded at the end. It is like 3movies in 1. More later once home.Way better than part 3 and 2 for sure.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3

Rape

noun

verb

Don't care, the word carries a truly heinous connotation. Go with "ruin" or "destroy" or the words mentioned in that definition instead.

I think what filmlover is getting at, is the fact that rape connotes so much more, that to use it for a director mishandling a cartoon franchise rather devalues the word and meaning. They are not on the same level at all. It's trivializing the word since who really cares or is affected by a Transformers movie being bad? No one.

• Like 8

What do you mean, converted IMAX? Anamorphic widescreen films are 2.35:1. 15/70 film is much squarer, around 1.33:1. Since the native IMAX screens are designed for that 1.33:1 image, projecting anything wider means you're not using space at the top and bottom of the screen. I think when they do the conversions, they'll usually crop some off the sides to make it a bit squarer (to fill the screen more).1.9:1 means the Image will basically fill a LieMAX screen (which is closer to a 1.85:1 ratio), but it won't be as impressive as 15/70 film projected on a 15/70-native screen.

Yeah I was told they were going to make 15/70 print version but  time restrain to get the film to theatres meant they couldn't but the claim was that had they the scenes shot with the Imax camera would have still be made to fill the screen, however I was skeptical about that given the new digital cameras and ratio but I never queried it further.

• Like 1

What do you mean, converted IMAX? Anamorphic widescreen films are 2.35:1. 15/70 film is much squarer, around 1.33:1. Since the native IMAX screens are designed for that 1.33:1 image, projecting anything wider means you're not using space at the top and bottom of the screen. I think when they do the conversions, they'll usually crop some off the sides to make it a bit squarer (to fill the screen more).1.9:1 means the Image will basically fill a LieMAX screen (which is closer to a 1.85:1 ratio), but it won't be as impressive as 15/70 film projected on a 15/70-native screen.

I mean when movies are converted into "IMAX 3D" and not filmed using "IMAX 3D Cameras".In this case, Godzilla most definetly had a wider screen than TF4.

In all honestly, it felt like the screen was bigger for Godzilla(which I assume was converted).How is this possible?

I assume GODZILLA was also digital projection, since it was a 3D film too. It may just come down to how they chose to convert GODZILLA.... you could basically crop more off the sides to create a squarer presentation, even if you had to enlarge it somewhat to fill the screen.

Rape

noun

verb

Like if you just want to be a potty-mouth, just say a million other words. 

• Like 1

I think what filmlover is getting at, is the fact that rape connotes so much more, that to use it for a director mishandling a cartoon franchise rather devalues the word and meaning. They are not on the same level at all. It's trivializing the word since who really cares or is affected by a Transformers movie being bad? No one.

You, sir, get the first "like" I have given out.

Yeah I was told they were going to make 15/70 print version but  time restrain to get the film to theatres meant they couldn't but the claim was that had they the scenes shot with the Imax camera would have still be made to fill the screen, however I was skeptical about that given the new digital cameras and ratio but I never queried it further.

Rth, does IMAX even offer film projection for 3D movies? I thought everything these days (IMAX included) was digital projection for 3D (to allow for perfect sync for each projector).

I mean when movies are converted into "IMAX 3D" and not filmed using "IMAX 3D Cameras".In this case, Godzilla most definetly had a wider screen than TF4.

The movie never filled the full screen, but the aspect ratios did keep changing.

What? I don't understand... so when a movie you like underperforms that means that other movies should too? I'd rather not be in another slump, this reminds me of summer 2010 all over again.  Everything disappoints and it's so boring to track. At least TF4 opening to 100m+ would be slightly interesting.

No not me silly. But that seems to be the consensus around here from quite a few people. You've read the posts. Good movies fail while crap movies succeed.