CJohn

Weekend Estimates | TF4 - 100M (Paramount sticking to 100M for the Wknd Est)| More Numbers on Page 1

Usually that kind of comment sounds like a whiny and pretentious complaint from someone who can't enjoy a fun Summer blockbuster. But every once in a while it's true. This is one of those times. 

No, it's not. It's yet another whiny, pretentious complaint. Transformers 4 is another in a line of big, fat, fun blockbusters that AUDIENCES respond to, to the chagrin of vocal, self-enamored internet denizens who see themselves as film scholars or something. The whole "OMG! This is what's wrong with Hollywood!!!!!" mentality is ridiculous. People like these movies. General audiences don't give a flying f*ck about "depth." Whether a film is good or bad, according to the narrow standards of film critics, most people will respond to a film emotionally and viscerally more than intellectually. That's what's "wrong in Hollywood."  Of course there are times in which purportedly "good" films will actually connect with a large audience, and that is great, but I don't adhere to the pretentious whining of the "Michael Bay is a Hack That's Destroying Cinema!" troll brigade.

• Like 7

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Continues to have great hold. It has more or less passed Godzilla and TASM2 on Sunday. With continued great holds 230M+ is quite likely which would put it striking distance of DOFP for biggest movie in May.  :D

It was just a comment. You are having your sequel anyway. Hell, I hated the first and I will likely see the 2nd on the big screen anyway.

It was just a comment calling one movie shit while another did great.  No one was even talking about Pacific Rim.  You brought it up all by yourself to stir up some shit.

TD YD Title (Click to View) Studio Daily Gross % +/- YD / LW Theaters / Avg Gross To-Date Day
1 - Transformers: Age of Extinction Par. $41,600,000 - - 4,233 $9,828 $41,600,000 1
2 2 22 Jump Street Sony $5,000,000 +71% -46% 3,426 $1,459 $129,437,000 15
3 1 How to Train Your Dragon 2 Fox $4,100,000 +31% -46% 3,750 $1,093 $112,815,000 15
4 4 Think Like a Man Too SGem $3,400,000 +109% -72% 2,225 $1,528 $41,168,000 8
5 3 Maleficent BV $2,593,000 +48% -35% 3,073 $844 $196,226,000 29
6 5 Jersey Boys WB $2,250,000 +60% -52% 2,905 $775 $21,982,000 8
7 6 The Fault in our Stars Fox $1,850,000 +37% -41% 2,845 $650 $106,595,000 22
8 7 Edge of Tomorrow WB $1,565,000 +64% -48% 2,535 $617 $80,510,000 22
9 8 X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox $950,000 +39% -49% 2,014 $472 $221,043,000 36
10 9 Chef ORF $435,000 +89% -9% 801 $543 $18,191,000 50
11 12 Neighbors Uni. $245,000 +58% -45% 510 $480 $146,700,000 50
12 10 Godzilla (2014) WB $230,000 +3% -59% 750 $307 $196,315,000 43
- - Begin Again Wein. $43,300 - - 5 $8,660 $43,300 1

No, it's not. It's yet another whiny, pretentious complaint. Transformers 4 is another in a line of big, fat, fun blockbusters that AUDIENCES respond to, to the chagrin of vocal, self-enamored internet denizens who see themselves as film scholars or something. The whole "OMG! This is what's wrong with Hollywood!!!!!" mentality is ridiculous. People like these movies. General audiences don't give a flying f*ck about "depth." Whether a film is good or bad, according to the narrow standards of film critics, most people will respond to a film emotionally and viscerally more than intellectually. That's what's "wrong in Hollywood." Of course there are times in which purportedly "good" films will actually connect with a large audience, and that is great, but I don't adhere to the pretentious whining of the "Michael Bay is a Hack That's Destroying Cinema!" troll brigade.

To say anyone isn't allowed to rip this movie & director is comical. You are in the minority, thanks for the laugh though. Can always count on a few in the weekend thread.

It was just a comment calling one movie shit while another did great.  No one was even talking about Pacific Rim.  You brought it up all by yourself to stir up some shit.

I kinda love to trash on PR. I am sorry, I shouldn't have done it  :ph34r:

It's totally fair considering Asians are driving the business right now in terms of interest. The fact it was premiered in China & had that kind of opening validates my theory.

Had ROTF flopped or underperformed domestically TF3&4 wouldn't have happened.

Don't blame others for catching up.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>THINK LIKE A MAN TOO took in an estimated $3.4M on Friday. Domestic total now stands at $41.17M. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ThinkLikeAManToo?src=hash">#ThinkLikeAManToo</a></p>&mdash; BoxOffice (@BoxOffice) <a href="

28, 2014</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hello. Been lurking for a while and decided to join. 

Transformers always makes money but I'm not a fan. Certain formulas sell, but there are good popcorn movies and there are bad ones. I like Bay and I get a kick out of how many critics despise him, but truthfully these films are always on autopilot. Liked the first one and that's about it. Although on the downside it managed to convince people that LaBeouf and Fox were movie stars for a while. 

So far X-Men is the best movie I have seen this year. 

• Like 5

Hello. Been lurking for a while and decided to join. Transformers always makes money but I'm not a fan. Certain formulas sell, but there are good popcorn movies and there are bad ones. I like Bay and I get a kick out of how many critics despise him, but truthfully these films are always on autopilot. Liked the first one and that's about it. Although on the downside it managed to convince people that LaBeouf and Fox were movie stars for a while. So far X-Men is the best movie I have seen this year.

Welcome to the Box Office Forums.I agree, DOFP has been the best film of 2014 thus far.

Had ROTF flopped or underperformed domestically TF3&4 wouldn't have happened.Don't blame others for catching up.

Blame others? Don't know wtf this means but the reason TF4 was green lit for a massive budget is because of overseas. Again why they decided to open it in China, how is this hard to understand? Has nothing to do w/ ROTF domestic performance, if anything the domestic drop off compared to international hold in TF3 validates my point.
  • Like 1

Well I guess Michael Bay saved the summer box office. First $100 million opener of the year and definitely the last until Mockingjay. 

Still, it's hard to see the movie hitting $300 million from here. The only reason TF2 and TF3 look like they had good legs is because the opening weekend was deflated by burning off two days worth of demand before. I think this will end up in a 3-way battle for #1 for the year with CA2 and Lego.

Welcome to the boards, straggler! Don't worry, every weekend won't be as negative as some people are this weekend.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 4