CJohn

Weeknd Official Est: Apes 2 - 73M | Friday Numbers and Saturday Numbers on Page 1

Even i want to do it 300, but seeing around the grosses in this summer it has chances around $240 if great legs then $270M

A 3 multiplier would be great legs in this day an age for an opener this size that's a non comedy, non family film -  and that would be $219.  $240m would a 3.3 multiplier and would be fantastic legs.

• Like 1

Is the WOM for Apes2 really better than Cap2 and DOFP?

I think it could. The movies every bit as good as Captain America the Winter Soldier.and I have never seen an X Men movie so I wouldn't know about that.

A 3 multiplier would be great legs in this day an age for an opener this size that's a non comedy, non family film - and that would be $219. $240m would a 3.3 multiplier and would be fantastic legs.

Given limitted competition over the weeks, plus a smaller opening, plus great WoM, Dawn should be able to break a 3.3-3.5ish multiplier.
  • Like 1

Is the WOM for Apes2 really better than Cap2 and DOFP?

WOM might be on par but with DOFP and Cap 2 both by nature should be far more frontloaded than something like Apes 2 so similar WOM would mean better legs than both of them. 

• Like 1

I'll say you really missed out, two of the only movies where I felt like a 3D viewing was essential for the full experience.

I have seen Gravity in 3D it's good.. I really enjoyed it! But it was best with the Transformers, probably it's because of the theater Projection

WOM might be on par but with DOFP and Cap 2 both by nature should be far more frontloaded than something like Apes 2 so similar WOM would mean better legs than both of them.

Also remember that Apes skews to an older demo than Cap or DOFP, just as rise did, it's the reason it wasn't frontloaded with its previews nor did it sell many advanced tickets or was overly high on twitter buzz.A movie that hits well with the older demo has great legs, I wouldn't be surprised if its legs are on par with Rise.
  • Like 2

I have seen Gravity in 3D it's good.. I really enjoyed it! But it was best with the Transformers, probably it's because of the theater Projection

I waited for DVD to see gravity I really didn't like the movie all that much I mean it was okay but it wasn't very suspenseful andI couldn't stand Sandra Bullock panting for an hour

Given limitted competition over the weeks, plus a smaller opening, plus great WoM, Dawn should be able to break a 3.3-3.5ish multiplier.

Competition though hasn't been the reason why legs have been so poor to mediocre this summer though.  Far bigger films have co-existed and had much better multipliers.  And it's not as if as well regarded as Apes2 is that it's been the only quality film released this summer or marketed to this demographic.  If it was I'd be more inclined to it having a run so much better than all others this summer except for Mal which hit pay dirt appealing to a very under-served demographic.  

This is also a sequel which older skewing or not are predominantly more front loaded The first had great legs of 3.2 and I could see it possible with better WOM and less competition matching that but a 3.5 seems rather unlikely.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Did someone said you were dead :lol: ? So I see you still have some time.

A week left, but we were put on Alert because it could have happen before.

Deadline:

8th UPDATE, Sunday, 7:30 AM:Fantastic debut for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes which, by all accounts this AM, grabbed another $25.78M last night and could land anywhere between $73M and $74M+, depending on the percentage drop that Sunday moviegoing brings. If it drops only 20% today, it will hit $74.2M but if it drops 25% it will be around $72.85M. That’s the math behind the determination. It’ll likely fall somewhere in between.

The only fly in the ointment is the World Cup final today that might affect business slightly. To that point, Fox has been careful opening this picture internationally with just a few territories this weekend — the biggest being South Korea — and Latin America and the rest of Europe will come after the World Cup gets out of the way. Stay tuned for those numbers when my colleague Nancy Tartaglione files her international report later this AM; she’ll have some interesting news on Japan, too.

We knew that Apes would do better business than it was tracking, having seen the want to see figures earlier in the week and, as we reported Friday, thought it might go over $70M. So glad it did for all involved. The Fox film studio is usually pretty honest in its reporting (sometimes somewhat conservative — isn’t everything over there). Gotta give kudos to whomever did the early one-sheet teaser for this film with the striking image of Caesar which launched the first impression of the film. It was arresting and powerful and set the tone of the film.

The other one we’ve been watching is the Oscar-worthy Boyhood which debuted this weekend in five theaters, courtesy of IFC Films, a division of AMC Networks (which bankrolled the Richard Linklater coming-of-age film over its 12 years). It has been doing gangbusters this weekend and its new estimate is $400K to bring its per screen average up to around $76,900K. Excellent news for everyone involved this AM.

Also worth noting is that TWC’s Begin Again, which expanded this weekend into 939 theaters, ended up breaking into the Top Ten this weekend and will bring in about $2.9M for a respectable per screen of $3,126. TWC has one of the best distribution teams around so kudos there. Also, remember Jon Favreau’s audience favorite Chef? It’s now up to $24M+ thanks, in part, to the team at Open Road. Much more to come, but that’s a snapshot while you drink your morning coffee.

Edited by Sky™
  • Like 2