CJohn

Weeknd Official Est: Apes 2 - 73M | Friday Numbers and Saturday Numbers on Page 1

Apes is a very interesting case of a sequel to a well-regarded movie that doesn't have a huge fan base and also skews much older and wealthier than most other summer films.  The only comp we should be using here is Rise.  This film shouldn't be acting like a sequel that we're used to.

A highly praised sequel at that.

DOFP had 10pm showings as well and did $8.1n. Godzilla started at 9pm and did $9.3m. And yes there were midnight showings.The film has been tracking at $60-65m so I don't see where the surprise is. It was never tracked to be a $90m+ or even $80m+ opener.

No suprise its were it was expected to be and yes 60-65 is what it was gauged at, on Sunday i was saying i hope it would do 70 ,guess well see how Friday tracks
  • Like 6

A highly praised sequel at that.

Aside from Rise, the only other good comp would be Ghost Protocol in terms of demographic and the type of sequel but sadly we can't use it since it opened in December AND had a bizarre release schedule.  

• Like 1

good thing is dawn is having stronger reception than Rise. That should be enough for stronger legs than even rise. plus early july release means longer summer weekdays compared to rise.

Rise had a multiplier of 3.22.

If CA2 is same as CA1's 2.71x and HTTYD2's 3.45x(with a 170m total) is way less than HTTYD1's 5x, why would Dawn improve over the original which itself unlike say CA1, had a high multiplier.

It's not going to have a multiplier better than Rise.

• Like 2

If CA2 is same as CA1's 2.71x and HTTYD2's 3.45x(with a 170m total) is way less than HTTYD1's 5x, why would Dawn improve over the original which itself unlike say CA1, had a high multiplier.

Yes it well. 

Aside from Rise, the only other good comp would be Ghost Protocol in terms of demographic and the type of sequel but sadly we can't use it since it opened in December AND had a bizarre release schedule.

Posted Image
  • Like 5

Lolololo15 mill od!49 mill ow!

Who is this and why does he speak using enraging internet syntax?  That terribly redundant internet acronym at the beginning hurts my feelings and makes me sad.  

Edited by spatulashack
  • Like 9

Who is this and why does he speak using enraging internet syntax?  That terribly redundant internet acronym at the beginning hurts my feelings and makes me sad.

The MTA makes me sad.
  • Like 1

CA2 opened in April and so weekdays were not great compared to july opening of CA1. Still with stronger reception and much bigger OW, it did similar multi.

I am seeing something similar to to CF. OW not that different but much better multi bcos reception is better.

Dragon 2 and Panda 2 just showed audience did not want a sequel. 

• Like 1