Olive

Weekend Numbers...pg 29 (Lucy 44M, Herc 29...big drops for most holdovers)

FRIDAY 12:45PM UPDATE: Full analysis later. But writer/director Luc Besson’s Lucy (3,172 theaters) starring Scarlett Johansson for Universal is targeting a $12M to $14M opening today and a $32M-$35M weekend start as an easy #1. That includes $2.746M from 2,386 Thursday late shows (following an early AMC theaters reporting glitch). Pic is outmuscling #2 Paramount/MGM’s Brett Ratner-directed Hercules (opening at 3,590 theaters including IMAX) starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as the ancient Greek strongman opening with $9M to $11M today and $26M

• Like 3

I want The Rock to be succesful, and I hate when media pre-anoints a film as a bomb prior to the actual release (read: Maleficent), so I hope Hercules manages that solid $11m OD.

I agree. He is among the few of the modern day badass action heroes.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1

3rd UPDATE, 12:50PM and 1:10 PM: The Scarlett Johansson sci-fi actioner is expected to pull in over $30M (low to mid) and Hercules right under $30M (maybe $27M to $29M) as it looks now. More numbers will come as the day progresses but expecting Lucy to nab around $13M tonight (includes the late night number of $2.746M) and Herculestaking in around $10M to $12M tonight (includes the $2.1M late night numbers).

The Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson starrer also launched yesterday in 11 international markets, including Australia and Russia to gross an estimated total of $5M. The breakdown? $2.6M in Russia, which Paramount says is 40% higher than G.I. Joe Retaliation and marks the third best opening day of the year. The studio says that its Malaysian gross of $335K is also 10% above Joe. In Australia,Hercules opened to No. 1 with a $590K take (and Par says it nearly doubled the #2 film in the marketplace).

It doesn’t hurt that Johnson was considered the No. 1 international star of last year both with Joe and Fast and the Furious in the marketplace. For those of you wondering, earlier this year, Lionsgate’s The Legend of Hercules took in only $42.6M internationally with Kellan Lutz starring. Johnson obviously has a much bigger imprint internationally so we expect this one to do much better business. Lionsgate’s version of the film also only opened to $8.8M and went on to gross around $18M and (yawn) change domestically.

In matinees in the states, And So it Goes — Rob Reiner’s film starring Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton — may gross anywhere from $4.5M to $6M for the three day domestically based on an expected $1.8M to $2M Friday tally. While Gabriel Iglesias’ concert film The Fluffy Movie (in 432 locales) may bring in anywhere from $750K to $1M Friday- and that includes late shows of $75K. That’s how it looks for the moment. More updates as the numbers roll in.

Surprisingly good #s for Hercules. As a fan of The Rock I am happy to see it doing better than expected. :)

Everybody going to see Interstellar trailer but getting Trailer #1 me thinks.

• Like 1