iceroll

American Idol Season 11 (And the winner is...)

The only WGWG from Idol that is successful didn't even win... Chris Daughtry. I don't count David Cook or Kris Allen, they both had one quasi-"hit" and that is all. Hell, the guys that each of them beat in the finals (David Archuleta and Adam Lambert) have had more success.The reason this happens is that none of them are anywhere near being special enough to stand out in the music industry. We already have John Mayer, Jason Mraz, Matt Nathanson, Jack Johnson, etc. And all of them are light years better than any WGWG the American Idol winners have been.The best season of Idol had to be Season 5. Even though the winner (Taylor Hicks) was one big WTF and has done nothing but play the dream guy in the traveling company of Grease. It had Katharine McPhee, Chris Daughtry, Elliott Yamin and Kellie Pickler. All of whom have been more successful than all of the last few WGWG winners, save maybe Scotty, who may become bigger because it's country and frankly a hell of a lot easier to break out into.

Edited by Cozmees Everdeen
  • Like 2

The only WGWG from Idol that is successful didn't even win... Chris Daughtry. I don't count David Cook or Kris Allen, they both had one quasi-"hit" and that is all. Hell, the guys that each of them beat in the finals (David Archuleta and Adam Lambert) have had more success.

The reason this happens is that none of them are anywhere near being special enough to stand out in the music industry. We already have John Mayer, Jason Mraz, Matt Nathanson, Jack Johnson, etc. And all of them are light years better than any WGWG the American Idol winners have been.

The best season of Idol had to be Season 3. Even though the winner (Taylor Hicks) was one big WTF and has done nothing but play the dream guy in the traveling company of Grease. It had Katharine McPhee, Chris Daughtry, Elliott Yamin and Kellie Pickler. All of whom have been more successful than all of the last few WGWG winners, save maybe Scotty, who may become bigger because it's country and frankly a hell of a lot easier to break out into.

So damn true. I actually voted for Cook cause I thought he had the stronger performances that season since I thought Archuleta peaked really early and got worse as it went on, but after him these other WGWG have been practically useless. And yeah they've all been so unsuccessful, save for maybe Scotty and like you said the Country audience is a lot easier to make it with. Although the season you're referring to where Hicks won is season 5, not 3. ;) 3 was my 2nd least least favorite season of all of em after the season with Lee, 3 only had Fantasia and J Hud who were worth anything. Edited by MovieMan89

Jessica had a pretty weak (for her) night last night. I don't know what the judges were smoking with the praise they gave her for "My All." That was just ... no.Phillip was good in his first, not bad but boring in the 2nd, and VERY good in the 3rd.Josh seemed the most consistent the whole night for me. Loved "Imagine." Why do people think he screams? Because his voice is a little bit of a higher register? I was (huge mistake here) reading the comments in response to the AI post on People.com and I was ready to punch my screen.NO idea who will go home tonight though. Jessica has a great voice, but I kinda think she's not ready. As far as Phillip goes, I just am weary of yet another WGWG winning, and he's a bit inconsistent. Though the past couple weeks he's been much better. Josh, I'd like to see him sing something very understated kind of like what Phillip did with the Seger song last night.I wouldn't be mad at any of them winning. Though I do get kind of annoyed at the hormonal girls who always vote for the cute guy, even if he sucks (not saying PP sucks.)

Jessica had a sore throat. Imagine if she didn't.

Did she? Usually they mention this sort of thing. But it's not really fair to cut someone too much slack for being sick. Phillip's been sick this whole time with his kidney thing.

It was all over the news here in the Philippines. We Filipinos follow all these stories since she might be the first American idol with Filipino blood. Also the youngest winner, first idol with Asian ancestry and the only "saved" idol to win the finals.

It was all over the news here in the Philippines. We Filipinos follow all these stories since she might be the first American idol with Filipino blood. Also the youngest winner, first idol with Asian ancestry and the only "saved" idol to win the finals.

She'd probably win for sure if Filipinos were allowed to vote :P

Wow Jessica completely blew Philip out of the water with the first two songs, but her last song was pretty poorly written. I really liked Philip's single but Jessica should definitely win for her performances this show and throughout the season.

Assuming Jessica had little say in her final song choice (which I highly doubt she did) she got screwed majorly. Phillip was obviously all set up to win with that infinitely superior song, while Jessica gets straddled with some awful pop ballad. I really hope people see past that and vote for who the most talented as, not who got the better winner's single. But I'm not counting on it. WGWG5 will probably win.

Jessica has been so off the last couple of weeks. I voted for Phillip. I was rooting for Jessica most of the season, but looking back, I don't care for any of her performances. Phillip left me with a lot of bad, but two bright spots in Volcano and that last song. Jessica left me with nothing.But I really don't care who wins. Boring season...

Edited by TheLombax