Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Having your neck exposed is fine by NASA?

I could care less if space didn't bother him and he could fly around all day in it. It bothered me that it only effected him when it was necessary to the plot. 

Yes apparently so. Gunn had this confirmed by their scientists. Apparently it will take around 30 seconds until you lose consciousness. Ill take NASA's word over ours. Also you're forgetting that he's not entirely human, so he can do whatever the fuck he wants and we can't moan.

• Like 3

The movie gets a mild thumbs up B-  

C+ is a thumbs down. B = Good B+ = Great 

It's not that.  It's that in 3 consecutive sentences you said the following:

But I did like it. 

B- mean I mildly liked it. It was very disappointing though. 

If you asked three different people what they thought of a movie and they gave you these answers:

"I liked it."

"I mildly liked it."

"It was very disappointing."

You wouldn't think for a second that they all thought the exact same thing about it.  Would you?  You're ratings are confusing as hell!

• Like 1

It's not that. It's that in 3 consecutive sentences you said the following:If you asked three different people what they thought of a movie and they gave you these answers:"I liked it.""I mildly liked it.""It was very disappointing."You wouldn't think for a second that they all thought the exact same thing about it. Would you? You're ratings are confusing as hell!

Yes and that's why it's B-... I liked it mildly, and found it disappointing. You can like something and be disappointed.I can see a band I've seen before and love but the show itself can be underwhelming but it doenst mean it wasn't fun or worth my time. Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

Yes apparently so. Gunn had this confirmed by their scientists. Apparently it will take around 30 seconds until you lose consciousness. Ill take NASA's word over ours. Also you're forgetting that he's not entirely human, so he can do whatever the fuck he wants and we can't moan.

No I'm sorry but that can't be what Gunn meant. Having your neck exposed in space and your hands wearing regular clothes is NOT survivable.Hes half *human...... Well if he's half human why does he freeze up in 30 seconds like a human with his mask off?Movies are about tone, sticking within the guidelines you set up for yourself. That's why in some movies a hero falling out of 20 story building makes us moan and some it makes us cheer... You can't tell me what I can and can not believe. He set up a world where star lord can fly in space and be 100% ok then we he needed to for the sake of the story it now effects him. That bothers ME. Again me, not everyone maybe or to most people it seems. But to me it was too much.Again back to my TDKR example, it all depends on your taste/investment. Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

Second viewing did more for me. The plot is boring and the film has a huge women problem but it tells character through humor in really fun ways.

Care to explain? I don't really see a 'huge women problem'.

Gamora, a lead character may not be as popular as Rocket or Groot but is probably the most important character in the film. She drives the film. First by interfering with Quill and Orb to make sure it doesn't go to anyone dangerous. She is the one who knows the Collector so she takes them all there taking the story forward. She then sacrifices herself in order to get the Orb away from Ronan. Then she is the one who knows about Ronan and his ship, thus the reason their plan works. 

Also the character with the strongest conflict. Betraying her father and sister, trying to do what's right instead of blindly following him. 

Then you have Nebula, who doesn't get much to do (probs saving more for sequel) and similar to Gamora despises her father but out of jealousy. But she takes the wrong route and sides with Ronan. 

Nova Prime next, not much to say but she is pretty much is control of her Planet's force. 

Minor characters next. You have Carina for her short role her actions were strong in a sense as she was trying to break free of the Collector's oppression. You also the women stuck in Quill's ship but she was there as a character trait for Peter, where along with the kicking of space rats, show that he doesn't care for many things but himself and money. He then changes through the course of the film. 

Edited by Breakspear

No I'm sorry but that can't be what Gunn meant. Having your neck exposed in space and your hands wearing regular clothes is NOT survivable.Hes half *human...... Well if he's half human why does he freeze up in 30 seconds like a human with his mask off?Movies are about tone, sticking within the guidelines you set up for yourself.That's why in some movies a hero falling out of 20 story building makes us moan and some it makes us cheer... You can't tell me what I can and can not believe. He set up a world where star lord can fly in space and be 100% ok then we he needed to for the sake of the story it now effects him. That bothers ME. Again me, not everyone maybe or to most people it seems. But to me it was too much.Again back to my TDKR example, it all depends on your taste/investment.

It is survivable, im sorry but im going to take NASA's scientists word over some movie geeks lol.

But that is what he meant, his quote was 'im sticking to my Guns on this one' because he knew it was possible. The only thing you could argue is he probably wouldn't have been in the state to be making jokes shortly after but then again, even this article speaks of tests done on dogs in which they were walking within 15 minutes. You can survive without your mask but only if you have no oxygen in your lungs. This was a shock to me to when I watched it, but after looking it up, it was quite interesting to learn this stuff.

I understand that it bothers you and that's your opinion, but its only bothering you due to your lack of knowledge so its not the films fault ;). The amount of films where people take bullets or big hits yet are 100% functional after and this one pisses you off? In TDKR the guy gets stabbed, gets blown up by a nuke (I don't care what people say, the editing showed he was still in his ship when the nuke went off) and he breaks his back and it just gets brushed over like its nothing lol. If anything, GOTG's outer space scenes were far more realistic than these TDKR scenarios lol.

Read this, there's plenty more articles like it on the internet.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/03/how-long-could-you-survive-unprotected-in-outer-space/

Edited by jessie
  • Like 2

It is survivable, im sorry but im going to take NASA's scientists word over some movie geeks lol.

But that is what he meant, his quote was 'im sticking to my Guns on this one' because he knew it was possible. The only thing you could argue is he probably wouldn't have been in the state to be making jokes shortly after but then again, even this article speaks of tests done on dogs in which they were walking within 15 minutes. You can survive without your mask but only if you have no oxygen in your lungs. This was a shock to me to when I watched it, but after looking it up, it was quite interesting to learn this stuff.

I understand that it bothers you and that's your opinion, but its only bothering you due to your lack of knowledge so its not the films fault ;). The amount of films where people take bullets or big hits yet are 100% functional after and this one pisses you off? In TDKR the guy gets stabbed, gets blown up by a nuke (I don't care what people say, the editing showed he was still in his ship when the nuke went off) and he breaks his back and it just gets brushed over like its nothing lol. If anything, GOTG's outer space scenes were far more realistic than these TDKR scenarios lol.

Read this, there's plenty more articles like it on the internet.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/03/how-long-could-you-survive-unprotected-in-outer-space/

The article states you would only be conscious for about 15 seconds. The test subjects "dogs" shit themselves and vomited the whole time.... Again you opinion  is your opinion but this article does absolutely nothing to prove anything. 

It does give a couple reasoning t how "possibly" he could have survived, but no proof, facts or info from NASA.

Again this is not the reason the movie got a B- this is one of many things. This part of the movie really only affects like half a grade point number to me anyways.

I could easily list 20 things things that bothered me. 

• Like 2

The article states you would only be conscious for about 15 seconds. The test subjects "dogs" shit themselves and vomited the whole time.... Again you opinion is your opinion but this article does absolutely nothing to prove anything. It does give a couple reasoning t how "possibly" he could have survived, but no proof, facts or info from NASA.Again this is not the reason the movie got a B- this is one of many things. This part of the movie really only affects like half a grade point number to me anyways.I could easily list 20 things things that bothered me.

Yeah but you said it isn't survivable, im merely pointing out that it is. Sure he probably wouldn't have been joking around, like I said in my earlier post but you're forgetting the fact he's half alien, we don't even know what capabilities he has, that's the mystery. Also when Gamora was floating away unconscious Rocket even said she would be able to survive a minute tops due to something in her suit, what's to say his mask didn't have some sort of mechanism like that when he flew out of the prison? Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

Here is my giant rant, sorry in advance. It's just random thoughts not well organized or even everything I wanted to say but I'm done talking about this movie now, you'll get the point.I watch the first scene with Star Lord and I don't think wow how cool, I think mmmmm how would have shot it? I'd prefer instead of getting 8 wide shots and a couple of money shots before approaching the temple on the planet. I would have shot the whole scene closer tighter never reveling a full wide (besides one to open the scene) no large music cue until later that way when we get that nice epic pull up shot of the temple the music cue really hits me. It has no weight to me after already getting 8 money shots and grand music cues. The first shot of the Island Jurassic Park is a pull up shot and we get that amazing music cue. But what if we saw the island before the pull up shot?or got countless sweeping shots of the helicopter flying before approaching the island, that sense of suspense and awe would be gone. That's a small quip I have.- I liked the soundtrack of course but it was too much... 25% less pop music 25% more score would be nice.- the score wasn't great though- I made it clear I think the movie has again %25 to many jokes- they run the Drak joke into the ground I thought- the action was ok at best, not a single sequence stands out in my head, yet I can remember my favorite action shots from all other blockbusters this year.- 0 stakes what so ever. I never knew what was going on. What makes the ending of Star Wars so great is WE know what Luke needs to do WE know what the empires plan is.What did ronin want to do? Destroy the planet? how? We never knew? Does he have to drill a whole in the earth and shoot his hammer there? Does he have to just touch the ground? We are never told, and we are also never told how the team plans to stop him not even in the slightest. I never knew what they have to do to stop him hense no suspense. So I'm watch the 3rd act and I know they are saving the day but I'm not sure how. I never feel like I'm a member of the team like I'm there for the ride. - the movie points out all the typical cliches blockbuster do but then does them all itself mediocrely.- It looses 1 point for not being shot on film. It distracted me. And before you say I can't argue this point, I can. If you can argue acting, shots, color, music, why can't I argue camera? It can still be a great movie it's just that film to me is a "special effect" an effect that can sometimes help transport me to another universe quicker.- No clear villain, it can happen but it's usually pretty damn hard to make an A movie like this without a commanding villain. - thanos was very disappointing sorry - Everyone dies so fucking annoying! All 5 lead have a near death experience. That's too much, I started to groan every time it happened.Thing is I'm not against bringing characters back. But 5? Again no stakes. My buddy was saying how touching Groots come back was but I was annoyed because well the other 4 leads already had a near death moment.You change one thing in a movie it can change everything. I can't know for sure but had the other 4 leads not all almost died and then Groot dies at the end then it may have hit me. It would have touched me. But when I see him thinking about sacrificing himself annoyed because I already know he is going to live so the thought isn't even touching.Even the John C's other police buddy guy says he is going to die but ends up being alive at the end.Also doesn't Yondu say he's going to die and this is the end then live too, UGHHHHHHGrow some balls. Kill people. - do I need to see John C hug his family at the end, no.- no real twists or turn in the movie. Was there a twist?- very very shaky first act. It was all over the place. Way way to many locations/characters thrown at you. Today movies try to show scope and scale by throwing a lot at you. You don't need too.Take ESB for example, that movie in a away had 4 big scenes/locationsAct 1 - all on HothAct 2 - Lukes with Yoda and The rest are being chased by the Empire.Act 3 - all at Cloud CityWe don't need 15 locations. Fight scenes can drag when you go from a to b to c to D (STID) But in Empire Luke/Vader fight in 3 different locations although it's all locations inside a central location. Making you feel the movie is more expansive then it is. But also making you feel a better sense of place.- The whole mom thing with Star lord felt forcedish to me. - also with the ending wtf was going in they all touch this stone which they have no idea what it's going to do, It felt pretty anti climatic.I guess the movie was good but at the same time just average to me. It didn't really bring anything new to the table nothing wowed me nothing made me feel 8 again.I don't think the movie is terrible by any means it's just no where close to an A movie. If you take it as a comedy I guess it's really good but it should be much much more than that. It's easier to point out the bad then good. I DONT HATE the movie A big problem is I'm now writing this a month later, I've watched 40 movies since I've seen this. My mind is scattered. When I buy it in blu-ray I'll let you know if my mind changes.I believe the true grade of a film comes at it's second viewing away from hype away from expectations and already knowing the plot let's you focus on so many other aspects yet the movie still feels fresh.So I'm really excited for my second viewing. I'm sorry for wasting your time. I'm sitting here waiting for 2TB to transfer entertaining myself haha love all of you guys though

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 5

Please not the Guardians/Star Wars again, Jay. Kcost.gif.Kcost.gif.

Do people even read my posts on this site? The examples about locations can be said about lots of movies.... X2 the last 50 minutes all take place at the dam yet you have 8 different locations in the damn. I just use Star Wars as an example a lot because everyone has seen it and everyone agrees it's good Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

I haven't seen the film in a while too just wanted to reply to things that I felt are unjust (in bold), left out parts that were opinion and that's fine since everyone has their own.

- they run the Drak joke into the ground I thought

I don't get this. If you're referring to him taking everything literally, it's not a joke. They can just stop him doing that since it's his character and would be odd if he did.

- 0 stakes what so ever. I never knew what was going on. What makes the ending of Star Wars so great is WE know what Luke needs to do WE know what the empires plan is.

How does no stakes = not knowing what's going on? Stakes - the death of the planet. Star-Lord - Stop it. Ronan - Destroy it. 

What did ronin want to do? Destroy the planet? how? We never knew? Does he have to drill a whole in the earth and shoot his hammer there? Does he have to just touch the ground? We are never told, and we are also never told how the team plans to stop him not even in the slightest. I never knew what they have to do to stop him hense no suspense. So I'm watch the 3rd act and I know they are saving the day but I'm not sure how. I never feel like I'm a member of the team like I'm there for the ride.

From the beginning of the film we know he hates Xandar and if he get's the Orb for Thanos, he will destroy the Planet for Ronan. Star Lord mentions that all Ronan has to do is touch the stone to the ground and their plan is to stop him from reaching the surface. It's not films fault if you don't pay attention to that dialogue. 

- It looses 1 point for not being shot on film. It distracted me. And before you say I can't argue this point, I can. If you can argue acting, shots, color, music, why can't I argue camera? It can still be a great movie it's just that film to me is a "special effect" an effect that can sometimes help transport me to another universe quicker.

I think this is just stupid. 

- No clear villain, it can happen but it's usually pretty damn hard to make an A movie like this without a commanding villain.

Ronan kills someone in the first 10 minutes. Characters always talked of him and feared him. Beat the shit out of Drax. 

- thanos was very disappointing sorry

He was in the film for what like 2mins? He clearly frightened Ronan. 

- Everyone dies so fucking annoying! All 5 lead have a near death experience. That's too much, I started to groan every time it happened.

Thing is I'm not against bringing characters back. But 5? Again no stakes. My buddy was saying how touching Groots come back was but I was annoyed because well the other 4 leads already had a near death moment.

You missed the point. Yes all characters had near death experiences. What was important is that they were saved by someone else in the team. Gamora by Star Lord.  Drax by Groot. Rocket by Star-Lord. Whole group by Groot. Star-Lord by the whole group ( - Groot). These characters didn't have friends that would do that before. Theme = Friendship.

I can't know for sure but had the other 4 leads not all almost died and then Groot dies at the end then it may have hit me. It would have touched me. But when I see him thinking about sacrificing himself annoyed because I already know he is going to live so the thought isn't even touching.

You don't know he's going to live. Rocket believes he will die. And is upset when he does only find twigs. I believe he plants a twig out of hope. 

Grow some balls. Kill people.

This is a major franchise in a connected universe they can't just kill the main cast and even important supporting roles in the first film. Deaths don't make films better. 

- do I need to see John C hug his family at the end, no.

To show they actually saved people. The mother and daughter were saved by Rocket. 

- no real twists or turn in the movie. Was there a twist?

Does there need to a twist?

- very very shaky first act. It was all over the place. Way way to many locations/characters thrown at you.

It was easy to follow though, since they gave the titles of the places and the names of the people. 

We don't need 15 locations. Fight scenes can drag when you go from a to b to c to D (STID)

3 main action sequences. Prison Scene - only in the prison. Knowhere - on Knowhere and the bit of space outside it. Then Xandar - Only on Xandar.

- also with the ending wtf was going in they all touch this stone which they have no idea what it's going to do, It felt pretty anti climatic.

Again the theme of Friendship they all had to split the power of the stone together then be able to use it's power. The ending actually goes again the cliches you mentioned. 

Edited by Breakspear
  • Like 5