Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

NOOOI brought this up in the classic convo thread and everyone seemed to understand.Its like any other chocie a director makes. For some movies it works better then others.Her for examples I'm glad was shot digitally, it worked for the story.Blockbusters/period pieces are the ones that usually bother me.If you can talk about vfx, cinematography, lighting, editing, acting, sound mixing.... You can talk about what camera you use.Do movies look different depending on what camera they shot on.... YES!Why is it so hard to understand.

Hey don't be mad at me, bro. I didn't venture nor keep up with the conversation thread lately so I didn't know that topic was being brought up elsewhere so I'm just asking here because I stumbled on your beef against digital use vs film for the first time in this GOTG convo.

Now I understand. You must loath Public Enemies then.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Hey don't be mad at me, bro. I didn't venture nor keep up with the conversation thread lately so I didn't know that topic was being brought up elsewhere so I'm just asking here because I stumbled on your beef against digital use vs film for the first time in this GOTG convo.Now I understand. You must loath Public Enemies then.

Haha it's ok <3It's just yesterday I went on a rant about people arguing with me saying my stance on film/digital is invalid.Now this morning I see 3 or so posts again questioning me haha it's like nooo not again
  • Like 1

Docking a film 1 point for being in digital or being in film shows exactly what's wrong with 100-point scales.

It's not an exact system, it may not even be a point. I used the term 1 point to show how Small of a quirp it is. It's a personal thing but it adds that slightest layer of fantasy for me.If I like the the look a bit more shouldn't the score be a bit more too?An 88 compared to an 89 is still a B+ to me
  • Like 1

I also have a letterboxd and I score everysingle movie I've ever watched with an exact grade it's just pure for fun to me and makes me think about each movie more. I can look back 5 years from now and name every movie I have given an 82.... I think that's cool.I spent a very long time developing my rating system it's for me and me only. As long as I can understand it then it's ok with me. It would be impossible for me to type every thing and moment that a movie gets judged by and explain it to you.I took the time where I know 82 is not only a B- but a 3/5 stars 6/10 grade as well.

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

I don't have an issue with grades. I grade everything too, and I find it really fun. Plus, it's a good shorthand way of figuring out a movie's worth. But to try to figure out the difference between an 83 and 82 is just too ridiculous imo.

That's why we have parameters... 83 is the lowest B... 82 is the highest B- Trust me I know deep down in my own thoughts exactly why a movie deserves 1 point more.If you say B- I wonder is it barley a B-? Almost a C+? Or is it almost a solid B but just not quite there? The rating system allows me to answer those questions. Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

If you say B- I wonder is it barley a B-? Almost a C+? Or is it almost a solid B but just not quite there? The rating system allows me to answer those questions.

And I say, does it really matter that much?  You do what you gotta do, more power to you.  But, micromanaging scores like that doesn't sound like fun to me.

What it really boils down to for me, is did I enjoy it and would I recommend the movie to someone else?  

I enjoyed the hell out of it and have recommended the movie to anyone that has asked me.  So it gets a high score from me.

Edited by Boner Omega

And I say, does it really matter that much? You do what you gotta do, more power to you. But, micromanaging scores like that doesn't sound like fun to me. What it really boils down to for me, is did I enjoy it and would I recommend the movie to someone else? I enjoyed the hell out of it and have recommended the movie to anyone that has asked me. So it gets a high score from me.

Yes it does matter that much. Movies are my life, I can't expect you to understand.
  • Like 2

Yes it does matter that much. Movies are my life, I can't expect you to understand.

Oh come on, we're on a movie website, it's totally unfair to pull that card. Everyone here sees movies as a large part of their life. Perhaps, they don't love them as much as you, but we all love movies.But even then, it doesn't matter. Film Crit Hulk loves films as much as you do, but he thinks that giving out grades is a dumb idea.Me personally: I think they are fun, but I think when you start getting so specific, you sometimes become too concerned with the number and not with the film or the criticism. I also dislike the numbers thing because I feel like grades are more of an impression than an exact science. Yes, a B might be close to a B- or a B+ so you could create some scale that says that this is a low B, a mid B, or a high B, but the truth is when I watch a film that I give a B, that usually means that at different points, it existed in all 3 stages. Hell, it probably means that at certain moments, the film was even a B- or a B+. It's more of an impression/rough average of everything, as opposed to something that is so exact.
  • Like 3

I loved it.The mcguffin plot and the villain were both pretty standard and there was nothing notable about them and the first 10 minutes on earth were kind of bizarre but I didn't care because the movie was such a delight.

All the characters made an impression, even Gomorra who gets no real arc by the script is not just a generic chick, she has a personality and a sense of humor. Drax and Groot were also great and it amazed me how much humor they managed to get out of supposedly one-joke characters and still kept it fresh. But the thing that was the biggest surprise for me was the way rocket racoon was operating in the movie. From all the pre-release hype I was amongst those who expected rocket to be RDJ as a rodent spitting 25 one-liners per minute but he was nothing like that. He is funny  but the movie doesn't pimp him as the "FUNNY SIDEKICK", he's just one member of the team. I also loved Chris Pratt and his Star-Lord, he was so winning and likable throughout the movie and his character was what kept the whole movie together. 

I read the filmcritichulk article someone posted in previous pages and I agree that with this movie it all comes down to the humor, it's the most integral factor to how much you 're gonna like it. If you find it just midlly amusing or even hit-or-miss of course you 're gonna start to pick apart its weaknesses. But if you connect fully with the humor you won't give a shit about how generic the villain is etc.

A.                  "We are all Kevin Bacon"

• Like 2

Just flat out didn't like it.  I didn't like the characters, didn't find it humourous, find it to be cliched and basically it's Spaceballs but without Mel Brook's humour.  The Orb is basically a pocket sized Deathstar, Groot is Chewy and Raccoon is Han.  The scene where Groot continues to say "I am Groot," and Rocket interprets what he is saying as things like, "yes we should go after them" and so on, is exactly what Han does with Chewy.  It had the generic Marvel air battles with the generic space ship fight and then you had Thanos, who is supposed to be the greatest warrior in the galaxy, or so I have been told, and yet in this he comes off as a pussy.  And every scene I have seen with Thanos, (two films now), all he does is sit on his floating throne and talk nonsense.  

I realize I'm in the minority on this so I won't go any further but it's just a silly and derived film and one that did nothing for me.

5/10

I agree very much with you, baumer (and even in the short time I am registred here we already had bitter disagreements).

Wanted to give it a 5 at first, too. But gave an extra one for trying "something" different.

Humour simply didn't work often enough... a lot of the action was generic... it was different but certainly not "clever" but in a rather obvious and "in your face" kind of way.

The villains were the weakest link... though Pace good have given them a great one had they more concentrated on him. But that other un-interesting sister... the big boss who seemed ridiculous on hi throne... or completely forgettable stuff such as The Collector.

Also, the mix of melodramatic stuff and humour is way off... it pretends to be all "cool" and not melodramatic... and then ends up somehow doing both and it doesn't work often enough.

This is fun to some extent... but not in a good movie kind of way.

Don't get the hype. Finale battle saves it, as well as some of the moments where the humour actually works.

Grew on me during the last act but don't see why I would ever watch it again.

C

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 1

Just rewatched this. Didn't find it as bad as the first time. It has it's moments. The best scene in the whole movie was Quill saving Gomora. It was unrealistic as fuck, but it had good music and visuals, plus a bit of emotional punch.

But I still stand by my opinion: it's trying too much to be humorous and most of the time it fails. The tone is just too childish. Another problem I had was the soundtrack: it's a space epic for fuck's sake, use some epic music. There are a lot of great composers out there. 

The most cringeworthy scene of all was the dancing scene at the end. It is embarassing how out of place that is.

And finally, the villain... Jesus! He has an Infinity Stone, it's supposed o give him the power of a God and a he's defeated that easily. It's just annoying. Anyway, it improved a little:

c+ / B-

• Like 1

Just rewatched this. Didn't find it as bad as the first time. It has it's moments. The best scene in the whole movie was Quill saving Gomora. It was unrealistic as fuck, but it had good music and visuals, plus a bit of emotional punch.

But I still stand by my opinion: it's trying too much to be humorous and most of the time it fails. The tone is just too childish. Another problem I had was the soundtrack: it's a space epic for fuck's sake, use some epic music. There are a lot of great composers out there. 

The most cringeworthy scene of all was the dancing scene at the end. It is embarassing how out of place that is.

And finally, the villain... Jesus! He has an Infinity Stone, it's supposed o give him the power of a God and a he's defeated that easily. It's just annoying. Anyway, it improved a little:

c+ / B-

Hey Hey, Whats the matter with your head?

• Like 1

c+ / B-

How can you say that about the distraction/dancing scene... That was the best scene from any movie I seen all year long. It was so WTF and so beautiful at the same time. I thought it was more interesting then if they were to defeat in some generic fashion.

• Like 1

How can you say that about the distraction/dancing scene... That was the best scene from any movie I seen all year long. It was so WTF and so beautiful at the same time. I thought it was more interesting then if they were to defeat in some generic fashion.

UH?

• Like 1