Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Yeah, that's actually a really nice thing about GOTG. It's got all these crazy ass aliens and outer space and backstory and whatever, but the story is extremely simple and unconfusing when you get down to it. The window-dressing is beautiful and all, but the story is very straightforward.

That's the type of thing that should make the GA enjoy it.

And what makes it so kid-friendly.  Well that and some heavy-handed exposition.

its gonna be in a tight race with the turtles

Doubtful. Turtles lack appeal to the female audience, so they might just convince the boyfriends, husbands, kids to go see GOTG instead.

I'm still thinking no more than 40 million for TMNT.

• Like 1

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing that, but ASM2 was actively horrible & a total mess from beginning to end (maybe the opening robbery scene and one or two Peter/Gwen moments excepted). 

GL makes ASM2 look like TDK

• Like 7

I have a source...a very reliable one, who says that the budget is way higher.  Closer to 250 mill.

It doesn't matter how much this makes now, the point of this film was not to make a profit, although it obviously will, but to set up future films and future revenue streams.  Mission accomplished.

I'd heard a few months ago that it around $200m but yeah definitely buzz that it was much higher than $170m. Agree, mission accomplished in opening op the Marvel universe and more $$.

• Like 1

Depends on if it still has territories left to open. If not, then likely no chance for 1.1 billion since it slowed down considerably overseas.

Japan and Spain.

• Like 1

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing that, but ASM2 was actively horrible & a total mess from beginning to end (maybe the opening robbery scene and one or two Peter/Gwen moments excepted). 

It pretty much sucks and I love the comics.

I liked TASM2, and didn't find it to be horrible at all, but each to his own I suppose.

Edited by Pokearcher

Unlikely. Its run in China is over. DOM isn't going to see much more than another $5m and most other territories are similarly late in their run.

It only has Spain, Japan, and Venezuela to open in. While Japan was quite good for Dark of the Moon ($54m), TF4 is probably going to come in under that mark. Spain earned about $11m, and Venezuela between $2 and $3m. (Though for all of them, exchange rates may have varied significantly since 2011.) So even if it matched TF3's grosses for those three countries, that's still less than $70m. The remaining 25m or so would need to come from elsewhere in the world.

While I don't think it will get to 1.1, it is still performing very well in South America.  1.1 is not out of the question.

• Like 1

It only has Spain, Japan, and Venezuela to open in. While Japan was quite good for Dark of the Moon ($54m), TF4 is probably going to come in under that mark. Spain earned about $11m, and Venezuela between $2 and $3m.

Venezuela should be much higher - most blockbusters this summer have done between $8-11m.  Paramount stopped distributing films there during the summer of 2011 when they weren't getting their money. When that was finally resolved it was months later, dvds screeners had leaked for movies like T3 and Cap 1 and voila - theatrical under performance.

• Like 1

The spidey factor has more to do with the fact that we've had 5 of them in the last 12 years. Some have had their fill, where as Guardians looked fresh and original.

Or maybe, people like me who grew up on the Raimi Spider-Man films were just completely turned off with the new one. The new Spider-Man is a complete douche, the new Harry is uncharismatic and fugly (compared to James Franco, yeah, he is) and the new love interest was blah! What's the point of getting excited for a movie when I just simply did not give a shit about anyone in the first movie?

• Like 2

Why wouldn't you?  It's got the same scale as Marvel movies.

Scale, as in budget...maybe, but it won't have the quality level(I know this is a subjective thing, but I guarantee the reception won't be as good) or interest. It just has a lot of baggage. The zietgeist was hit for this franchise decades ago.

• Like 1