Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

I think GOTG would be a risk with any other studio but lets remember that Disney is the company that can churn out stuff like John Carter and The Lone Ranger every year and not be hurt by it.

Guardian's was never a sure fire hit, but that $170 million it was made for and the $100 million-ish or whatever it was marketed for is pocket change for Disney. If it were Marvel on their own, it would be a huge risk.

• Like 2

It wasn't a risk since Marvel and especially Disney have so much money that they could have afford a bomb.

Yeah, the risk was negligible when you consider how much Disney could potentially make from a successful GotG trilogy including the DVDs, tv rights and merchandise.
  • Like 1

Yeah, the risk was negligible when you consider how much Disney could potentially make from a successful GotG trilogy including the DVDs, tv rights and merchandise.

They are going to make shitloads of money with Star Wars, Pixar, other Marvel movies and so on. They don't need money from Guardians.

Edited by miketheavenger
  • Like 1

"Let's make a SW-esque movie featuring a band of lovable ne'er-do-wells." How is that a big risk? It's only a risk compared to something like TA2 or SW7.

That wasnt guaranteed to connect. You saw how outlandish it looked and sounded back in 2012. I dont see why everyone needs to compare this to Star Wars. This was an even bigger risk than Thor. Remember when everyone was saying "a Marvel space movie? I dont know about that one...", but now that Thors a hit, of course those comments have changed. I had no interest in Guardians 8 months ago, but I was slowly pulled by what I saw. My brother didnt even want to go at first until I used the "you need to hang out with me before I go back to college" card. He likes it now. Guardians was never going to automatically connect, and Marvel knew that, but they had a vision and Disney went with it.

It wasn't a risk since Marvel and especially Disney have so much money that they could have afford a bomb.

It was. Thats what everyone has said up until yesterday. If Guardians had opened to $60M like expected, people would be like "well it was a risk for Marvel, but looks like itll pay off on the long run." Now that Guardians did $90, people want to say "Guardians was never really a risk, it was bound to connect with audiences with its Star Wars imagery and fluffy raccoon."No.Thats revisionism and a scapegoat. Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 9

I think GOTG would be a risk with any other studio but lets remember that Disney is the company that can churn out stuff like John Carter and The Lone Ranger every year and not be hurt by it. Guardian's was never a sure fire hit, but that $170 million it was made for and the $100 million-ish or whatever it was marketed for is pocket change for Disney. If it were Marvel on their own, it would be a huge risk.

I think preserving the Marvel brand is more important than yearly receipts. If the brand becomes unpopular the Marvel purchase would become dead weight instead of a mega-cash cow.
  • Like 1

They are going to make shitloads of money with Star Wars, Pixar, other Marvel movies and so on. They don't need money from Guardians.

They are planting as many seeds as they can.and they expect a healthy return from every single one.
  • Like 1

Disney just seems to be printing money with the MCU. They put out a movie (after the Avengers of course ) and BAM 200DOM and 500+WW. 

How long will this last though? Ant-Man seems like a risk, but hopefully Marvel will make it a-okay. They've got films lined up through 2019, and guaranteed they'll make a profit

• Like 2

they are basically giving it a 20 percent increase today without the previews. I think that is a bit high of a jump for august but in order for to hit 95 million it means to jump 20 percent today in fall 20 percent tomorrow. I guess it is possible

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Guys, this post is the real story of the weekend

SHAWN LIKED IT

:o

I feel like people want a BW movie just so we can say we have a Marvel female movie. She really doesnt need one, at all. Ms Marvel does.

I want Widow and Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk.

• Like 2