Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Do you see people drifting in Space on a daily basis ?

Ok, you're just dumb.

Gravity is like Apollo 13, what happen when shit happens on an actual space shuttle while repairing Hubble telescope. That doesn't mean shit happens every single day of the week 24/7. It's the setting, the environment, the backdrop, the actual science/technology in the movie that are based on an everyday basis and that makes a difference between a scifi movie and a thriller set in space as we know it today.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 5

Anyway so Inception is not sci-fi because everbody dreams everyday.

I think I get it.

No you don't get it at all. Technological device that can put you in each other's dreams and build them from scratch to manipulate your subconcious don't exist. It's scifi.

Edited by dashrendar44

Apollo 13 can't be sci-fi because it's a retelling of a historical event. There's no actual fiction beyond liberties taken with the characters.

Those liberties taken makes it fiction. It is based on a historical event but it's still fiction. And it's irrelevant anyway because sci-fi is not defined by whether the story is fictional. Gravity is not sci-fi because the setting is real, the technology is real. If Gravity would have taken place in deep space and they would have used technology that isn't available today, that would have made it sci-fi.

• Like 2

No you don't get it at all. Technological device that can put you in each other's dreams and build them from scratch to manipulate your subconcious don't exist. It's scifi.

There is a theory that Inception, the whole movie, happens in someone's dream. Those devices only exist in the guy's dream but not the real world of the movie or ours. So not sci-fi.

Ok, you're just dumb.

Gravity is like Apollo 13, what happen when shit happens on an actual space shuttle while repairing Hubble telescope. That doesn't mean shit happens every single day of the week 24/7. It's the setting, the environment, the backdrop, the actual science/technology in the movie that are based on an everyday basis and that makes a difference between a scifi movie and a thriller set in space as we know it today.

Yeah I think I am just as dumb as most of industry and movie sites out there that happens to list Gravity as a sci-fi film including IMDb, boxofficemojo, THR, Variety, Vulture .... 

How smart you guys are that undoubetably believe Gravity is not sci-fi at all.

There is a theory that Inception, the whole movie, happens in someone's dream. Those devices only exist in the guy's dream but not the real world of the movie or ours. So not sci-fi.

There is a theory that proves everything was in real life. You might want to look it up... The Wedding Ring Theory.

So yes Sci-Fi.

Edited by ChD
  • Like 1

The closest movie that resembles GRAVITY is APOLLO 13

A13 is a hour-by-hour depiction of disaster in outer space full

of technical jargons and hard science. It earned $172M in 1995

but that movie has a high dose of all American flag-waving.

GRAVITY seems to have similar elements and if it is as good

as the reviews are saying, I could see this doing $120M or so...

3D doesn't hurt..

There is a theory that proves everything was in real life. You might want to look it up... The Wedding Ring Theory.

So yes Sci-Fi.

I of course know it is .... was just trying to show how ridiculous it would be to call Gravity not sci-fi in the other way. The nasayers think Gravity is not sci-fi because all the techs in it do exist in our world. So in their theory, Inception wouldnt be sci-fi as well if the whole movie is just someguy's dream, since anything can happen and exist in dreams and everybody dreams everyday.

There may be nothing beyond human technology in Gravity. But that wouldnt disqualify it as a sci-fi movie. 

Like ChD said, the wedding ring put all of this in "fanboy fantasy" realm theories.

(IMO, it would be lame if "all the movie is just a dream, folks!" because that's the lowest twist anyone can do while doing a movie about dreams. And yes, if the movie is just a dream from beginning to end, it's not scifi, it's a fantastical thriller.)

And the "dumb" part is your reply: "people don't drift in outer space on a daily basis ergo that's scifi." People can drift in orbital space if shit happens while working on a space shuttle. Can you see the difference? If you can do it right now in the present day, how is that science fiction?

Edited by dashrendar44

Like ChD said, the wedding ring put all of this in "fanboy fantasy" realm theories.

(IMO, it would be lame if "all the movie is just a dream, folks!" because that's the lowest twist anyone can do while doing a movie about dreams.)

And the "dumb" part is your reply: "people don't drift in outer space on a daily basis ergo that's scifi." People can drift in orbital space if shit happens while working on a space shuttle. Can you see the difference? If you can do it right now in the present day, how is that science fiction?

Is there really anybody in this world that ever drifted in Space after an accident ?  :rolleyes:

This is not Space age. We are not there yet. Last time I check there are still 7 billions people down on Earth and barely none in Space. And last time I check Space exploration is still an sci-fi element. Maybe in 50 or 100 years, Gravity would be simply a thriller, but now it is a sci-fi thriller as most sites labeled it to be.

Edited by firedeep

Is there really anybody in this world that ever drifted in Space after an accident ?  :rolleyes:

This is not Space age. We are not there yet. Last time I check there are still 7 billions people down on Earth and barely none in Space. And last time I check Space exploration is still an sci-fi element. Maybe in 50 or 100 years, Gravity would be simply a thriller, but now it is a sci-fi thriller as most sites labeled it to be.

Oh god...Are you aware that we send people in space on a regular basis for 40 years from now, aren't you?

That there is an International Space Station with international crews that go there working in turnarounds on space shuttles on a regular basis gravitating in orbit all above your head?

Gravity is not about space exploration per se. It's two US astronauts from ISS going to work on Hubble in a routine procedure. Then something goes wrong, they drift. That's all. Last time I check Hubble telescope, space shuttles, astronauts and ISS are very real in our present day. It's a common procedure for NASA.

It's like saying a nuclear plant exploding on US territory is scifi because it never happened despite having a lot of nuclear plants in function on US territory actually.

Come on, stop being dense dude.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2