Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Science Fiction Definition: Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginative content such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, parallel universes, extraterrestrial life, and paranormal abilities.Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possible worlds or futures. It is similar to, but differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).

By this definition, is HUGO (2011) a sci-fi ? 

I dont think it has to be futuristic setting and futuristic science and tech to be sci-fi ... morden setting and mordern tech, or archaic setting, can be sc-fi too.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/toronto-why-gravitys-alfonso-cuaron-619315

Alfonso Cuaron interview with the Hollywood Reporter.

The movie took 4 and a half years to make.

In the credits, you thank James Cameron. Why?

This film was a miscalculation. There was not technology for what we were trying to achieve. But [Cameron] was a big champion. He said, "Man, you're going to make this happen," and started giving me pointers. And we made it happen.

Edited by The Futurist

In Portugal there is only one IMAX screen and it is a LieMAX. Not sure if I am going to see this there. I was waiting to see if Thor was going to be there for one week only or not going to be there at all.

In Portugal there is only one IMAX screen and it is a LieMAX. Not sure if I am going to see this there. I was waiting to see if Thor was going to be there for one week only or not going to be there at all.

There is one real Imax left in Minnesota and I have heard negative things about it. 

No one has said that. I said, and dash agreed, that the two films are historical fiction.

Yeah I agreed on the "historical fiction" point. But then I added then that The Right Stuff would be classified as Scifi if the protagonists were not based on real people despite the fact that the movie would still be exactly the same. That tiny detail is what is scratching my head, making or breaking that Scifi etiquette regardless of the actual content. So if Gravity was based on a real event, it would be not considered scifi at all despite being the exact same movie with the same settings.

Edited by dashrendar44

By this definition, is HUGO (2011) a sci-fi ? 

I dont think it has to be futuristic setting and futuristic science and tech to be sci-fi ... morden setting and mordern tech, or archaic setting, can be sc-fi too.

Yeah Steampunk and retrofuturism are scifi. Like Steamboy or LXG.

Edited by dashrendar44

Wow. That trailer was insane. Finally a good movie on my birthday weekend. I was really impressed, this looks like one of the best if not the best thing coming out until 2014 IMO, but maybe I'm a little bias since I love astronomy, oh well. Really hoping this pulls some outstanding numbers and grabs awards.

And IMO Gravity is science fiction, no doubt. But, movies can have more than one classification. They can be Sci-fi and thriller. Or horror and comedy or western and drama, etc. Getting so bent over the classification doesn't matter when it won't be a factor with the GA. Sci-fi or thriller, doesn't matter. If it looks "thrilling" to people, than it will. If it looks "sci-fi", then thats how it looks.

Edited by jandrew

Why Gravity is different from Buried? Desloation, dealing with non movement, etc. One is set underground, other is set on Earths orbit. Both is fiction. So. Is Buried sf? If no, then why Gravity is sf?

Anything set in outer space is considered Science Fiction, so until that grave was in outer space, Buried shouldn't be Sci-Fi..

Yeah I agreed on the "historical fiction" point. But then I added then that The Right Stuff would be classified as Scifi if the protagonists were not based on real people despite the fact that the movie would still be exactly the same. That tiny detail is what is scratching my head, making or breaking that Scifi etiquette regardless of the actual content. So if Gravity was based on a real event, it would be not considered scifi at all despite being the exact same movie with the same settings.

Sci-Fi in its very nature is speculative fiction about a hypothetical science-based scenario. If something actually happened in real life, then it can't be sci-fi because it's not speculative, it actually happened.

Anything set in outer space is considered Science Fiction, so until that grave was in outer space, Buried shouldn't be Sci-Fi..

Why? Isn't people actually were in outer space? Isn't they floating around space shuttles, stations and satelites? Isn't story with floating debris technically impossible right now? Is in this movie anything that makes it impossible to happening right now in outer space?Or maybe yu're just ironic.

• Like 1

Why? Isn't people actually were in outer space? Isn't they floating around space shuttles, stations and satelites? Isn't story with floating debris technically impossible right now? Is in this movie anything that makes it impossible to happening right now in outer space?

Or maybe yu're just ironic.

Dude look. Science Fiction doesn't only involve things that haven't been done or are impossible. It involves certain locations...

Science fiction elements include:

• Like 1

So it's just my opinion of what SF is vs Encyclopedia-Britannicas'. I should give up right now and say: according to people wiser than me, Gravity is sf.But I will not. Earths orbit is just as normal enviroment as underwater, or high mountains, or large deserts. It shouldn't be considered as sf. ;)

• Like 1