Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Seeing it in Imax. Oh wait...There's no real Imax screen in my town, I got to go to Disneyland Paris...239,22 miles away from home. :(

I read that as 239 thousand miles and thought the nearest imax to you was on the moon.
  • Like 4

Gotta LieMax here, but i dont wanna pay the extra money for that, especially if i have to bring my gf along...wait, my birthday is the next day...hmmmmm. But if i saw this in a real IMAX, it wouldnt fill up the screen right?

It'll be like any usual movie shown in IMAX... they'll crop/adjust the image so that it's closer to the aspect ratio of IMAX, and it'll be enlarged, but it won't be like native IMAX footage.

That being said, it's worth paying to see it on the biggest screen possible, whether that's LieMAX or not.

• Like 1

It'll be like any usual movie shown in IMAX... they'll crop/adjust the image so that it's closer to the aspect ratio of IMAX, and it'll be enlarged, but it won't be like native IMAX footage.

That being said, it's worth paying to see it on the biggest screen possible, whether that's LieMAX or not.

If they scale it though, wouldn't it lose resolution? Kinda like when you adjust a standard def TV channel to fit your HDTV, instead of leaving it 4:3? 1 "I"MAX ticket is $12, so thats $24 for two. I know you get vastly better sound, but is it really worth it? Also considering the runtime? Living here I'm used to conventional screens so will I really be able to tell to much of difference for $7 more? (regular student tickets are $8.50).

Edited by Twerkdrew

This is the Liemax in my town, Tele, and it doesn't look that much bigger than the conventional screens I'm used too. We had 2 real IMAX's here on the coast, but both have closed and the one here was strictly dedicated to documentaries anyway. Click the "ticketing" tab.

http://www.southeastcinemas.com/theater-charleston-citadel-mall.htm

Edited by Twerkdrew

If they scale it though, wouldn't it lose resolution? Kinda like when you adjust a standard def TV channel to fit your HDTV, instead of leaving it 4:3?

Kinda sorta, but not really. They basically do the equivalent of a really nice upscaling -- it's called DMR (digital media remastering). Since pretty much all movies these days have a digital intermediate instead of a release print (meaning their final master source is a digital file instead of film), IMAX DMR basically upscales/renders the whole movie at the new resolution. It looks pretty good, although it's not as nice as 15/70 IMAX film.

1 "I"MAX ticket is $12, so thats $24 for two. I know you get vastly better sound, but is it really worth it? Also considering the runtime? Living here I'm used to conventional screens so will I really be able to tell to much of difference for $7 more? (regular student tickets are $8.50).

I haz a sad. Here IMAX-3D runs you $20 or so for one ticket.  :mellow:

Depends on how big your conventional screens are at your local theater, and how good the sound system is. IMAX and LieMAX theaters have really nice (and loud!) audio. And LieMAX screens, while not real IMAX, should still be somewhat bigger than conventional theaters.

If money's really get, get your mom or dad to lend you the extra cash. :P Even a LieMAX is a pretty nice theater.

Edited by Telemachos

This is the Liemax in my town, Tele, and it doesn't look that much bigger than the conventional screens I'm used too. We had 2 real IMAX's here on the coast, but both have closed and the one here was strictly dedicated to documentaries anyway. Click the "ticketing" tab.

http://www.southeastcinemas.com/theater-charleston-citadel-mall.htm

For me, given the option between an average theater and a LieMAX, I'd pick LieMAX every time. Unless the normal theater is very nice, the LieMAX probably wins out in all areas: bigger screen (even if only slightly), bigger/more powerful sound system, better seats, etc. But it's your money, not mine (and I'm not a starving student any more). ;)

• Like 3

Kinda sorta, but not really. They basically do the equivalent of a really nice upscaling -- it's called DMR (digital media remastering). Since pretty much all movies these days have a digital intermediate instead of a release print (meaning their final master source is a digital file instead of film), IMAX DMR basically upscales/renders the whole movie at the new resolution. It looks pretty good, although it's not as nice as 15/70 IMAX film.

I haz a sad. Here IMAX-3D runs you $20 or so for one ticket.  :mellow:

Depends on how big your conventional screens are at your local theater, and how good the sound system is. IMAX and LieMAX theaters have really nice (and loud!) audio. And LieMAX screens, while not real IMAX, should still be somewhat bigger than conventional theaters.

If money's really get, get your mom or dad to lend you the extra cash. :P Even a LieMAX is a pretty nice theater.

Yeah I'm still enjoying the perks of cheaper tickets haha, for now atleast, but hmm I might consider it then. Money isn't an issue, I'm just very picky on how I spend it haha and if I'ma ask her to blow $24 for 90 minutes I wan't it to be completely worthwhile. That DMR sounds cool though and like the fact of upgraded sound, though in this case I wish you could actually clearly here whats going on space haha, but I might check it out. At this point I guess it depends on the date, my fall break is around that time and if im home on the 4th, then the next closest Liemax is 40 minutes, and I'm not driving that haha. I guess we'll see, thanks for the info though, T!

Edited by Twerkdrew

@gabbyringerr

that gravity movie rly confuses me

9/24/13 5:47 PM

@Trixie_666

so this movie gravity looks dumb as fuck. is it just george clooney and sandra bullock floating around in space the whole time?

@SavvytheNerd

The movie #Gravity makes no sense at all. You CANNOT move that fast in space. Just... :/

@thejenngeorgia

Gravity looks like THE dumbest movie ever. I hate Sandra Bullock

9/24/13 5:46 PM

@itsC_DUB

What is that gravity movie even about !?

9/24/13 5:46 PM

@vihveele

gravity looks like the stupidest movie ever why would i pay money to watch sandra bullock freak out in space for two hours

9/23/13 6:31 PM

@W_oolf

That movie called "Gravity" is so unrealistic because you can fall to earth you will have to be going faster than the speed earth goes.

9/17/13 5:25 PM

@UniqueCreator69

The movie " Gravity " looks retarded as fuck

9/17/13 5:11 PM

• Like 1

^^ Pacific Rim went through the same thing. I remember because I posted all the bad tweets haha, but those look like tweets from people who just watched the tv spot and didn't research the concept. I too am guilty of calling movies stupid looking then watching them and they end up great. I still think Gravity will open low - high 20 to mid 30's, but WOM will be like Argo. These people will be tweeting "retractions" soon.

Also, take a look yall at this. October is going to be crazy good this year, whether you're critcal moviegoer or a B-movie lover. Can't wait. http://jaysonb593.blogspot.com/2013/09/octobers-very-own.html Gravity and Captain Phil are most anticipated for the rest of the year.

Edited by Twerkdrew