Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Aw, sweet.  Not only are people bitching about the RT score being too high, they're bitching when it is sub-50

ZDn8riK.gif

Not even gonna touch that debate.

I'll go ahead and make a quick comment to the following since I already addressed this in thread last night.

12 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Campea says in his review that AWIT is almost unwatchable, so...

I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply I gave some hours ago:

17 hours ago, Porthos said:

What annoys me, and I can now see it coming from a mile away, is folks trying to ascribe motivations to people who don't thrash the film when they give it a middling or average review.

It's entirely possible to say "A lot of this film doesn't work, but there's enough good things here to give a passing grade or make it worth seeing if its the type of film one likes."

I mean, the bitching that is probably coming over "Reviewer gave it a 2.5/4 and still gave it a fresh rating!11!11!" is gonna get real old real fast. 

It's even older when the RT is sub-50, for the record.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Every single movie there are countless of twitter movie reviews way way worse than that. rememberer Collin Tervorrows last movie? Plus that critic reviews things like that all the time. 

That girl is LOON the problem with the world today. SHES WHITE, she should shut the fuck up. He didn't bring up Ava or race ONCE! And yet shes saying he's an asshole and racist. LOL Imagine if she said that in person? She's the asshole. 

I don't agree with people attacking Trevorrow or whoever either. 

But the verbiage used to attack DuVarnay is gender-specific or loaded towards being so, whether the original tweeter meant it or not. That's worth noting.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

She thought she can turn this into something great with Oprah's blessings and Disney backing her. LMAO. 

Really should have just worked with Fiege on BP. But then we wouldn't have gotten MBJ as KillMonger. Let's face it, that dude didn't had to audition for the role. He came along with Coogler. A package deal.

Yeah, BP turned out the way it did cause it came in the right time meaning right director for the job emerged, right cast, right composer, etc. Many of them were unknown previously so likely wouldn't factor in the casting (director+actors+composer+ etc) process if the movie was made few years ago. So it's really a win for everyone (the team + fans + GA) and doubtful TWIT is going to hurt Ava's career anyway. TIt's likely going to do a decent business regardless of reviews. Family movies and critics don't see eye to eye many times anyway (Boss Baby, anyone?).

20 minutes ago, kells said:

Hyping bad projects is why actors get the big bucks. I think most would agree that part of the job is usually harder than the actual filming. I don't begrudge them doing whatever they have to to sell, sell, sell. 

Large part of the check is doing the long world press tour no matter what yes. It must be way harder for a bad movie, specially one that you do not like the result either and agree with the critics, but the consequence of letting financier down (specially if you feel a bit guilty for the movie bad reception) must be a strong enough incentive to keep going and studio/financier 's must really love the Arnold/Dwayne Johnson of the world that keep pushing and pushing no matter what and reward them for it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Alli said:

I don't know how actors/directors can keep a straight face hyping a movie they know it's not that good. And getting all these covers. I guess the Disney machine is behind it and I know everybody does it in their work field, but it gotta feel strange to promote a movie on a worldwide stage when you know the film is just not gonna be loved

This has zero to do with Disney and everything to do with the business. If you're not willing to promote your work, good or bad, then good luck finding a studio that's going to give you work. Besides, being able to promote your movie allows you to network and opens up the door for you for other opportunities with other studios. Some of the more popular actor and actresses aren't where they are because of their talent but because of their ability to network while promoting their projects. Then when these big execs see so and so promoting a film enthusiastically, they're more likely to hire them versus the person who looks like they'd rather be anywhere but promoting their film. I mean the reality is that not even the studios can predict how a movie is going to turn out so why waste time and money on actors/actresses who only want to promote movies that are perceived as good. Finally if you're not excited about your own movie, why on the earth should anyone else be? 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think legs are really going to be determined by how much families embrace the movie rather than just general audience reception. 

Peter Rabbit was pretty much universally embraced by families for the past month which is why I think it did its 4x

Even Tomorrowland legged it out to a 2.83x, so yeah, maybe.  

(Hell, even Alice Through the Looking Glass managed to pull off a 2.87x)

((It started at 27m, so that's not exactly great, mind))

Family films are just leggy even when they're critically panned.  If it's visually appealing and has a message that doesn't actively turn off its core demos it should draw in the families taking their kids even if it doesn't come close to reaching its full potential.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

This has zero to do with Disney and everything to do with the business. If you're not willing to promote your work, good or bad, then good luck finding a studio that's going to give you work. Besides, being able to promote your movie allows you to network and opens up the door for you for other opportunities with other studios. Some of the more popular actor and actresses aren't where they are because of their talent but because of their ability to network while promoting their projects. Then when these big execs see so and so promoting a film enthusiastically, they're more likely to hire them versus the person who looks like they'd rather be anywhere but promoting their film. I mean the reality is that not even the studios can predict how a movie is going to turn out so why waste time and money on actors/actresses who only want to promote movies that are perceived as good. Finally if you're not excited about your own movie, why on the earth should anyone else be? 

How does Kristen stewart keep getting work then?  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 40% range it's hovering in is a bit on the low side for live action Disney fantasy fare, but as I said awhile back, 50-60% is pretty standard for them (i.e. Alice, Maleficent, Oz, Narnia sequels, etc). At least this one doesn't sound like it's just a big meh like those films. The highs sound like they're higher even if the lows are lower. Will be interesting to see this one. 

And I'm done even attempting to engage in this #MESS of reactions by some here and on social media to the critic's reviews. 

• Like 1