Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

52 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Now I am not saying this movie is some groundbreaking, Oscar bait movie, but it is what it is.

You have the bad guys wanting to take over  NYC (and it's explained that it was done by them before in history in Japan) so they created a chemical weapon to release on the public.  They also were making the mutagen that was the cure so they could control everything.  So the Shredder would get the city and the company would get the money by selling the "magic" cure.  Yes it does sound like the V for Vendetta plot a little bit ;)

The mutagen/cure was put into a rat and 4 turtles and I think you can figure out that part 

April's dad worked on the project so that is why she is involved since she took care of the turtles and rat, even feeding them pizza.  So she had a connection to them already.

April's dad found out he was working with the bad guys and decided to destroy the lab and notes so the mutagen was gone except it is in the turtle's blood so when they find out about them, they want to capture them to get cure out of their blood.

So basically that is the plot.  Pretty simple and straightforward.  Plus it's not really the reason anyone will see a TMNT movie :P

As for the turtles, they nailed their characters and the fights with Shredder and the snow scenes were really good.  Overall, the effects were impressive for the most part.

The acting was fine.  It was funny, even Megan Fox was ok.

It was fun and entertaining for what it is.  I enjoyed it and I am not even that big of a turtles fan.  As I said in the turtle thread, my friend who had zero desire to watch it, liked it enough too.  She was laughing at the right parts and to use her words, thought it was a cute movie.  So yes, it will most likely work for kids and turtles fans.

I would give it a B, possibly B+ because it kept me entertained and was good enough.

Edited by 75live
  • Like 3

Was a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles as a kid, so I had to check this out, wasn't expecting much, so I wasn't totally disappointed.

Effects are fine ... acting is meh ... watching that film, there's no doubt in my mind that in the initial script Eric Sachs was Shredder.  Everything with Oroku Saki outside the Shredder outfit felt off from the rest of the film.  Plus, didn't William Fichter essentially say he was  playing Shredder in an interview at some point?

Also, what we see is essentially 'Super Shredder'esque' so I wonder what the fuck the mutagen that was on his body when he 'died' will do to him for the next film.  (and with the story they're going with Shredder has to be in his 60's ... if he was a 'father figure' to Sachs.  

Things like that don't really add up if you think about it too much, but it's a film about 4 talking turtles, so whatever.

C

Was a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles as a kid, so I had to check this out, wasn't expecting much, so I wasn't totally disappointed.

Effects are fine ... acting is meh ... watching that film, there's no doubt in my mind that in the initial script Eric Sachs was Shredder.  Everything with Oroku Saki outside the Shredder outfit felt off from the rest of the film.  Plus, didn't William Fichter essentially say he was  playing Shredder in an interview at some point?

Also, what we see is essentially 'Super Shredder'esque' so I wonder what the fuck the mutagen that was on his body when he 'died' will do to him for the next film.  (and with the story they're going with Shredder has to be in his 60's ... if he was a 'father figure' to Sachs.  

Things like that don't really add up if you think about it too much, but it's a film about 4 talking turtles, so whatever.

C

Yeah the Japanese Shredder was put in because of the fan backlash against white Shredder. Eric Sacks is literally the romanization of Oroku Saki. 

Now I am not saying this movie is some groundbreaking, Oscar bait movie, but it is what it is.

You have the bad guys wanting to take over  NYC (and it's explained that it was done by them before in history in Japan) so they created a chemical weapon to release on the public.  They also were making the mutagen that was the cure so they could control everything.  So the Shredder would get the city and the company would get the money by selling the "magic" cure.  Yes it does sound like the V for Vendetta plot a little bit ;)

The mutagen/cure was put into a rat and 4 turtles and I think you can figure out that part 

April's dad worked on the project so that is why she is involved since she took care of the turtles and rat, even feeding them pizza.  So she had a connection to them already.

April's dad found out he was working with the bad guys and decided to destroy the lab and notes so the mutagen was gone except it is in the turtle's blood so when they find out about them, they want to capture them to get cure out of their blood.

So basically that is the plot.  Pretty simple and straightforward.  Plus it's not really the reason anyone will see a TMNT movie :P

As for the turtles, they nailed their characters and the fights with Shredder and the snow scenes were really good.  Overall, the effects were impressive for the most part.

The acting was fine.  It was funny, even Megan Fox was ok.

It was fun and entertaining for what it is.  I enjoyed it and I am not even that big of a turtles fan.  As I said in the turtle thread, my friend who had zero desire to watch it, liked it enough too.  She was laughing at the right parts and to use her words, thought it was a cute movie.  So yes, it will most likely work for kids and turtles fans.

I would give it a B, possibly B+ because it kept me entertained and was good enough.

Nice how was the connection between the boys and shredder and the action good buddy. Impressive 75?

Nice how was the connection between the boys and shredder and the action good buddy. Impressive 75?

The action and fights were good.  There was more connection between Shredder and Splinter than the Shredder and the turtles.  But of course they all had their fights ;)

• Like 1

The action and fights were good.  There was more connection between Shredder and Splinter than the Shredder and the turtles.  But of course they all had their fights ;)

Nice if Turtles make 500-600+M WW. We should get the budget for more teamwork and action and even better adventure. :)

Action wise yes. Not saying its a better movie but there's a lot of crazy action.

Loved it I give it about an 7.8-8.0 as well. Its in my top 10 favorites this year.

I so pleasantly suprise, if noot for  some juvenile moments and light story this could have been an A caliber film easily.

Wow it had a good monday drop as well. 8-9Mil ;)

• Like 1