filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

...Maybe I'll just lock this thread until we get official estimates tomorrow morning.

omg noooo my boyfriend is out of town and my parents are dead and it's raining and i have a cramp in my index finger

this was supposed to be my night

• Like 2

Box Office Friday: ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Surprises With $55M to $60M+; ‘Guardians’ $42M On 55% Drop

Talk about putting Rocket Raccoon back on its paws — Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles started out in matinees strong and may end up taking in around $22M to $24M (which includes $4.6M from last night) today. That would give the Michael Bay production an estimated three-day total of about $55M to $60M+ to surprisingly (and easily) swipe the box office crown away from Guardians of the Galaxy after only one week. Some estimates have it around $53M to $58M, but methinks it will be a tad higher when family moviegoing goes full swing on Saturday and Sunday. Who woulda thought that the 25 and and 35 year-olds would have propelled the franchise (which started out in a comic book 30 years ago) to this height. But kids grew up with it on Saturday mornings so they have soft spot for the Italian-named turtles. It will be interesting to see the CinemaScore on Turtles later tonight as critics have been calling it merely a soft-shell appetizer  — Paramount wisely kept it away from most reviewers until late in the game and its marketing department did a great job attracting the family audience. A higher CinemaScore usually translates into a higher multiple.

In its second weekend out, Guardians is expected to drop about 55% for a total take of $12.5M Friday (it doesn’t have the advantage of counting in its late nights), for a tidy $42M to $43M three-day. Its two-week cume should put it right around $177M+.

After the dueling tentpoles, it’s a big step down. In third place will be Into The Storm, Warner Bros.’ tornado disaster pic which should blow in with $6M+ Friday and land a $16M to $17M+ weekend gross. Next up is Disney’s The Hundred-Foot Journey starring Helen Mirren in a story about culture clashes and food fights (er, cuisine competition). The film, advertised heavily as being produced by Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey and based on the best-selling novel, will take in around $3.5M tonight for a three-day gross of maybe $11M in its first week of play for DreamWorks/Participant. Better than had been hoped for.

1). Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (PAR), 3,845 theaters / $22M to $24M Friday (includes $4.6M late nights) / 3-day est. cume: $55M to $60M+ / Wk 1

2). Guardians of the Galaxy (DIS), 4,088 theaters (+8) / $12.5M Fri. / 3-day cume: $42M to $43M (-55%) / Total cume: $177M / Wk 2

3). Into The Storm (WB), 3,434 theaters / $6M Fri. (includes $800K late nights) / 3-day cume: $16M to  $18M / Wk 1

4). The Hundred-Foot Journey (DIS), 2,023 theaters / $3.5M Fri. (includes $310K late nights) / 3-day cume: $8.5M to $11M+ / Wk 1

5). Lucy (UNI), 3,147 theaters (57) / $2.5M to $2.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $8.6M to $9M / Total cume: $97M / Wk 3

6). Step Up All In (LGF), 2,072 theaters / $2M to $2.7M Fri. (includes $375K late nights) / 3-day cume: $5.5M to $6.5M / Wk 1

7). Get On Up (UNI), 2,469 theaters (+1) / $1.6M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.5M (-60%) / Total cume: $23.5M / Wk 2

8). Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (FOX), 2,306 theaters (-977) / $1.27M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.5M / Total cume: $197.9M / Wk 5

9). Hercules (MGM/PAR), 2,896 theaters (-699) / $1.3M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.3M / Total cume: $62M / Wk 3

10). Planes: Fire & Rescue (DIS), 2,280 theaters (-961) / $800K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.7M / Total cume: $53.3M / Wk 4

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3