filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

On the other hand, Fox this year is an excellent example of what happens when a major studio is filmmaker-friendly. DOFP, HTTYD2 and Apes all represent some genuinely great things that can be done within the borders of franchise filmmaking.

We'll never get anywhere if we're going to dump all franchise movies, all comic book movies, all YA movies, etc. into a single pile and then dismiss it all as trash. It's not easy, but you really have to look at each and every film and its own flaws and virtues. 

This is very true. DOFP, Apes, and GOTG are all my favorite movies of the summer. Putting them alongside the likes of ASM2 and TF4 would just be wrong.

• Like 2

Yeah, but one day these franchise bubble has to pop. People will eventually get tired of seeing the same old shit over and over again with the same "adapt, sequel, reboot" cycle, right? I mean that can't be the future of cinema.

Why would it???Some other property becomes hot???

If one franchise declines another appears. 

What is bigger then the Avengers film brand now currently? Nothing, that got really hot in 2012 and is burning hot now. Even if that dies  a lot, something else will take it place.

I been here on such forums since 2004 hearing the same comment and each year franchises dominate. 

• Like 2

Yeah, but one day these franchise bubble has to pop. People will eventually get tired of seeing the same old shit over and over again with the same "adapt, sequel, reboot" cycle, right? I mean that can't be the future of cinema.

Some people might get tired of it, but that's why they make new, fresh people all the time! I don't think they will run out anytime soon. :)

• Like 1

I think Turtles benefited from the trailer. It had that whole character's first interaction with the "thing" which I noticed works well with general audiences (TF1) .

Create a human connection to audiences. 

My child arrived just the other dayHe came to the world in the usual wayBut there were planes to catch and bills to payHe learned to watch movies while I was awayAnd he was talkin' 'fore I knew it, and as he grewHe'd say "I'm gonna be like you, DadYou know I'm gonna be like you"And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoonLittle boy blue and the man on the moonWhen you comin' home, DadI don't know when, but we'll get together thenYou know we'll have a good time thenMy son turned ten just the other dayHe said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's go watch the

Michael Bay Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles",

I said "Not today I got a lot to do", he said, "That's okAnd he walked away but his smile never dimmedAnd said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeahYou know I'm gonna be like him"And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoonLittle boy blue and the man on the moonWhen you comin' home, DadI don't know when, but we'll get together thenYou know we'll have a good time thenWell, he came from college just the other daySo much like a man I just had to say"Son, I'm proud of you, can you watch Star Wars: A New Hope?"He shook his head and said with a smile"What I'd really like, Dad, is to watch the live-action Pokemon movieSee you later, can I have money for the tickets?"And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoonLittle boy blue and the man on the moonWhen you comin' home sonI don't know when, but we'll get together then, DadYou know we'll have a good time thenI've long since retired, my son's moved awayI called him up just the other dayI said, "I'd like to see Lawrence of Arabia with you"He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the timeYou see Transformers is on and the kids are sick of Where the Wild Things AreBut it's sure nice talking to you, DadIt's been sure nice talking to you"And as I hung up the phone it occurred to meHe'd grown up just like meMy boy was just like meAnd the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoonLittle boy blue and the man in the moonWhen you comin' home sonI don't know when, but we'll get together then, DadWe're gonna have a good time then

:ph34r:

Okay so last night, I knew I recognized the lyrics from somewhere when I lurked one last time before bed, so I looked up this song and it made me really sad before falling asleep

So thanks Water Bottle?

Franchise is the only word studio heads use when they do their conference calls with shareholders, it is the only thing they think about.

Unfortunately, that is probably pretty accurate.
  • Like 1

There have always been franchises and movies considered "trash" that were among the most popular movies, as long as there's been a Hollywood. It may ebb and flow in terms of what sorts of easy money go-to categories happen to hit big in any given time, but the lament that Hollywood is more about commerce than art is nothing new. People watch TCM or look up the Scorcese/Coppola canon or whatever and think all movies were that good once upon a time, when the truth is that the quality stuff is remembered and 95% of the rest of it was popular in its time and faded from memory.

I would say the only difference is that TV has stepped its game up a lot, and a lot of dramas that would have been condensed into 2-3 hour movies in the 1970s or whenever, are being told in long form on cable or Netflix. So it's not that no one cares about drama anymore but the audience for it isn't necessarily getting its fix the same way they did 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 5

There have always been franchises and movies considered "trash" that were among the most popular movies, as long as there's been a Hollywood. It may ebb and flow in terms of what sorts of easy money go-to categories happen to hit big in any given time, but the lament that Hollywood is more about commerce than art is nothing new. People watch TCM or look up the Scorcese canon or whatever and think all movies were that good when the truth is that the quality stuff is remembered and so much more has faded away. I would say the only difference is that TV has stepped its game up a lot, and a lot of stories that would have been condensed into 2-3 hour movies in the 1970s or whenever, are being told in long form on premium cable or Netflix.

One of the best posts I've read in here.

• Community Manager

Hey Jude, don't make it badTake a sad song and make it betterRemember to let her into your heartThen you can start to make it better

Okay so last night, I knew I recognized the lyrics from somewhere when I lurked one last time before bed, so I looked up this song and it made me really sad before falling asleep So thanks Water Bottle?

• Like 2

Wow omg.There is some who posted like seven posts on dhd boxoffice comments and I agree with him wholeheartedly!Some pliz post his comments here am on a phone! His called joshua!I want people on the thread to look at his comments

• Like 2

On the other hand, Fox this year is an excellent example of what happens when a major studio is filmmaker-friendly. DOFP, HTTYD2 and Apes all represent some genuinely great things that can be done within the borders of franchise filmmaking. We'll never get anywhere if we're going to dump all franchise movies, all comic book movies, all YA movies, etc. into a single pile and then dismiss it all as trash. It's not easy, but you really have to look at each and every film and its own flaws and virtues.

I ran out of likes to give, but THIS POST x10000!!
  • Like 2

On the other hand, Fox this year is an excellent example of what happens when a major studio is filmmaker-friendly. DOFP, HTTYD2 and Apes all represent some genuinely great things that can be done within the borders of franchise filmmaking.

We'll never get anywhere if we're going to dump all franchise movies, all comic book movies, all YA movies, etc. into a single pile and then dismiss it all as trash. It's not easy, but you really have to look at each and every film and its own flaws and virtues. 

:worthy: Jake, I love you.  :wub:

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 3

I think Turtles benefited from the trailer. It had that whole character's first interaction with the "thing" which I noticed works well with general audiences (TF1) .

Create a human connection to audiences. 

Hey Lord Vegita!!! Preach it brother and that is why those who  think Avengers 2 wont be beaten will sadly realize the truth films that  draw in the youngest to oldest quadrants and make that human and spirtual connection cannot be beat...

I hope to see Juggernaut 2 and even  BVs S accompolish wonders. :)

Turtles is awesome 70M OW possible!!

• Like 1