kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

So TMNT is winning again?  damn americans like their garbage 

I'm not surprised at all. Most parents taking their kids to see this movie grew up on Turtles(I was a huge fan 20 plus years ago as a kid for example). While it's very popular with kids according to my wife who runs a daycare. The film might not be a masterpiece, but it's entertaining enough for adults and most kids like it. So it's not going to just tank like many of you guys want. It's a kids film and they will find It entertaining. While it has a nostalgia appeal for adults. It didn't have to be a great movie for this franchise to sell, just appealing enough.

Edited by gb0708
  • Like 1

So TMNT is winning again?  damn americans like their garbage 

Which would also explain why GOTG is doing so well.  It's the Walmart of summer movies.

• Like 2

I've spoken to three different sets of parents who took their kids to see Turtles.  They said they liked it fine enough but their kids loved it.  I know this is hard for some to grasp.

• Like 5

The Giver could have been an excellent movie.  At the time when the book first came out, it made a major impact as a YA dystopian novel.  There wasn't much around like it at the time and a lot of other, more recent books, actually take a lot from it.  Unfortunately, as The Giver is being released after movie versions of those other books, it's bound to be seen as derivative (or at the very least, all of the tropes are now well saturated in the YA market which takes away the impact of them).  It's kind of the John Carter effect all over again.  People thought John Carter relied on too many common sci-fi tropes... but the fact of the matter is that it was responsible for popularising a lot of them over the years.

With The Giver, the movie adaptation also suffers from the filmmakers' apparent need to bring it up to the 'standards' of the modern YA movie.  Case in point (and no spoilers for the movie, specifically because this is material from the trailer), in the trailer it is stated or at least implied that Jonas - who is eleven in the book, btw, certainly not anything like as old as the actor playing him - finds the giver because he's doing something rebellious and going where he ought not...  because rebelliousness is obviously a necessary trait for a YA hero.  In the book, he is assigned to be the Giver's protege.  The trailer also implies a lot more action and tech/explosions then there were in the book, which is honestly a bit cerebral at times.  The greyscale to colour jump is in keeping with the books, but the trailer doesn't do a good job of making it clear why this element exists.  (In and of itself, the use of greyscale and colour in such a manner is not without precedent.  See Pleasantville.)

Overall it's just highly disappointing, especially considering some of the cast members are actually well fitted.  The Giver could have been a good movie and a good adaptation of its source material.  Done right, it might not have been a major box office success but could still have been a critical one and been a possible award winner (as the book was). Instead they watered it down, added overplayed YA tropes and basically made it into a movie that is The Giver by name and doesn't capture the spirit or intent of the original.

• Like 2

I've spoken to three different sets of parents who took their kids to see Turtles.  They said they liked it fine enough but their kids loved it.  I know this is hard for some to grasp.

When I was a kid I'm sure I watched only the most critically acclaimed and award-winning movies.

• Like 2

Exactly it's a movie made for kids. Of course adults who are comparing it to movies that's made for adults and teens. Well it's not going to be as well liked in comparison. But kids are really enjoying it and compared to most movies adults bring their kids too. Well I think they're enjoying this enough, even if it's only for nostalgia reasons.

• Like 1

The Giver could have been an excellent movie.  At the time when the book first came out, it made a major impact as a YA dystopian novel.  There wasn't much around like it at the time and a lot of other, more recent books, actually take a lot from it.  Unfortunately, as The Giver is being released after movie versions of those other books, it's bound to be seen as derivative (or at the very least, all of the tropes are now well saturated in the YA market which takes away the impact of them).  It's kind of the John Carter effect all over again.  People thought John Carter relied on too many common sci-fi tropes... but the fact of the matter is that it was responsible for popularising a lot of them over the years.

With The Giver, the movie adaptation also suffers from the filmmakers' apparent need to bring it up to the 'standards' of the modern YA movie.  Case in point (and no spoilers for the movie, specifically because this is material from the trailer), in the trailer it is stated or at least implied that Jonas - who is eleven in the book, btw, certainly not anything like as old as the actor playing him - finds the giver because he's doing something rebellious and going where he ought not...  because rebelliousness is obviously a necessary trait for a YA hero.  In the book, he is assigned to be the Giver's protege.  The trailer also implies a lot more action and tech/explosions then there were in the book, which is honestly a bit cerebral at times.  The greyscale to colour jump is in keeping with the books, but the trailer doesn't do a good job of making it clear why this element exists.  (In and of itself, the use of greyscale and colour in such a manner is not without precedent.  See Pleasantville.)

Overall it's just highly disappointing, especially considering some of the cast members are actually well fitted.  The Giver could have been a good movie and a good adaptation of its source material.  Done right, it might not have been a major box office success but could still have been a critical one and been a possible award winner (as the book was). Instead they watered it down, added overplayed YA tropes and basically made it into a movie that is The Giver by name and doesn't capture the spirit or intent of the original.

Nice first post and welcome to the forums...but in the future, if you want to review a film, go to the Grade the Movie forum.  :)

Posted Image

That's when Arsenio was bad ass.  He could interview Eddie Murphy, presidential hopeful Bill Clinton, Michael Jackson and fucking Jason Voorhees.  He was the best, imo, when he was on TV in the 80's/90's.

• Like 2

Nice first post and welcome to the forums...but in the future, if you want to review a film, go to the Grade the Movie forum.   :)

Thank you for the welcome.

I haven't seen the film, nor do I intend to.  I'm just stating that these are the reasons that this movie will not do well, not among those who aren't familiar with the source material and will find it to be just another attempt at getting a piece of the YA movie market, and certainly not among those who enjoy the book and will not appreciate so many needless deviations.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

I've spoken to three different sets of parents who took their kids to see Turtles. They said they liked it fine enough but their kids loved it. I know this is hard for some to grasp.

Kids like all kinds of shit B, they're kids! I can't even begin to list the crap that I loved as a kid.

Thank you for the welcome.

I haven't seen the film, nor do I intend to.  I'm just stating that these are the reasons that this movie will not do well, not among those who aren't familiar with the source material and will find it to be just another attempt at getting a piece of the YA movie market, and certainly not among those who enjoy the book and will not appreciate so many deviations from the book.

Sorry, yes, I just reread your post.  My apology.

Kids like all kinds of shit B, they're kids! I can't even begin to list the crap that I loved as a kid.

And?  What does that mean?  That's why some films are made for you and some aren't.