iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

#58: Monsters University (2013) - 221 Points

Country of origin: USA (Pixar)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A look at the relationship between Mike and Sulley during their days at Monsters University -- when they weren't necessarily the best of friends.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Monsters University is the second lowest ranking Pixar film in the Top 100, after Cars.

IMDB trivia:
John Ratzenberger makes his traditional Pixar film appearance, reprising his role as Yeti (a.k.a. The Abonimable Snowman) from Monsters, Inc. (2001). Yeti's job in the Monsters, Inc. mailroom is a nod to John's famous role as postman Cliff Clavin in Cheers (1982). Yeti warns Mike and Sully that tampering with the mail is punishable by exile to the human world, foreshadowing his exile in Monsters, Inc.

BOF User Review:
B+ / A-

Thought it was great, much better than the last 2 outings from Pixar for sure, but it lacked that magical touch the first one had - something about exploring the monsters in the closet that they just couldn't recreate.

-narniadis, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 16

#57: Brave (2013) - 225 Points

Country of origin: USA (Pixar)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A look at the relationship between Mike and Sulley during their days at Monsters University -- when they weren't necessarily the best of friends.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Brave is separated by Monsters University by a mere 4 points. They have very similar critical and audience reception as well.

IMDB trivia:
This is the first Pixar film set entirely in the historic past.

BOF User Review:
I give it an A. Critics overanalyzing, people expecting Brad Bird to come back from the dead or something. Jeebus.

At my viewing, there were clapping at the end, there were even tears from some folks nearby.

Personally I loved it. And you know what, I'm not even going to go with the whole "Not as good as other Pixar" thing because I definitely thought it was; I think the rotten reviews did actually help me in that I went into it with lower expectations. At this point I'd rank it higher on my list than quite a few of them, even WALL-E which I loved. IMO it fits in the Pixar mold and I don't know what the hell everyone's up in arms about. 

This feels like when Cars came out and there were "mixed" reviews, and after I watched it I thought, WTF critics? But I feel like in Brave, it's even worse because at least I understood where some critics just couldn't relate to Cars and there were pop culture jokes and references in it (which I didn't mind, I just understood). Maybe I'm just biased, but I think I can confidently say the critics can suck it on this one. 

-whoot, 2012

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 11

#56: Cinderella (1950) - 246 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
When Cinderella's cruel stepmother prevents her from attending the Royal Ball, she gets some unexpected help from the lovable mice Gus and Jaq, and from her Fairy Godmother.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Cinderella has the biggest point jump from the previous position in the list so far. It received 22 more points than #57, Brave. As we move to the upper positions, the points jumps will become even larger. Released in 1950, it also edges out Alice in Wonderland as the oldest film on the list so far.

IMDB trivia:
The transformation of Cinderella's torn dress to that of the white ball gown was considered to be Walt Disney's favorite piece of animation.

BOF User Review:
A classic film. I love the mice. 

-Captain Jack Sparrow, 2013
(even a year ago, you were describing everything as "classic" :P)

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 15

#55: Lady and the Tramp (1955) - 263 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
The romantic tale of a sheltered uptown Cocker Spaniel dog and a streetwise downtown Mutt.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Lady and the Tramp and Cinderella are back-to-back Disney animated films from the 1950s. Every single 1950s Disney film made it on to this list, it was another golden period for the studio.

IMDB trivia:
Walt Disney originally didn't want to include the 'Bella Note' spaghetti-eating scene, now one of the most iconic moments in the whole Disney canon.

BOF User Review:
There's a lot of nostalgia involved with this, like with most Disney-movies. I remember both loving this movie and being scared of it as a kid. The scene with all the crying dogs at the pound and the giant rat really fucked me up when I was a kid, but fortunately there was a happy ending and cue puppies to even things out. Its a classic, and a great movie to show to your kids I imagine

4,5/5
-Jack Nevada, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 17

Monsters University and Brave definitely are over-disliked here based on what the shouting people say

Yeah, they're not Pixar's best, but even their 'mediocre' efforts are miles above most other animations nowadays. I think their placing is about right.

Edited by darkelf
  • Like 4

#54: The Land Before Time (1988) - 266 Points

Country of origin: USA (Amblin Entertainment)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Five orphan dinosaurs travel the ruins of their world, while grieving the loss of their families and banding together to face the odds of survival.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Land Before Time is the highest ranking (and probably most well known) Don Bluth film on the list. There's a dozen more direct-to-video sequels, but only The Land Before Time II made received any votes, and ranked at #222.

IMDB trivia:
Judith Barsi, who did the voice for Ducky, was murdered by her father four months before the film's release. Judith was only ten years old. :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 19