iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

#62: Alice in Wonderland (1951) - 211 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Alice stumbles into the world of Wonderland. Will she get home? Not if the Queen of Hearts has her way.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Alice in Wonderland is the oldest film on the list so far. But there are even older films in the Top 100!

IMDB trivia:
In the Walrus and the Carpenter sequence, the R in the word "March" on the mother oyster's calendar flashes. This alludes to the old adage about only eating oysters in a month with an R in its name. That is because those months without an R (May, June, July, August) are the summer months in England, when oysters would not keep due to the heat, in the days before refrigeration.

BOF User Review:
I will never count this among my favorites, but it's still a solid entry in the Disney canon. B 
-DAR, 2014

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by iceroll
  • Like 10

#61: Grave of the Fireflies (1951) - 214 Points

Country of origin: Japan (Studio Ghibli)
Animation style: 2D Anime
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A tragic film covering a young boy and his little sister's struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Grave of the Fireflies is the only Studio Ghibli film not directed by Hayao Miyazaki to make the Top 100.

IMDB trivia:
Isao Takahata was the only living animator involved on the project who had survived bomb blasts.

BOF Blurb:
Iceroll:

Grave of the Fireflies is a movie that I think everyone should experience once in their lives. It masterfully tells this tragic story with such simplicity and nuance, which makes it all the more devastating. It won't be everybody's cup of tea, and it might not even be an enjoyable experience, but when a film is able to convey the amount of emotion that this one does, it's worth giving it a shot. Just make sure you don't have anything to do the next week that will be too affected by the crippling depression that this movie will cause :P

BOF User Review:
The only film that has ever made me sob. I could not stop crying for ten minutes after watching it. A masterpiece, and definitely one of, if not the best war film ever made. A stunningly beautiful work, and one of the most emotionally wrenching. You're going to want to watch this. It'll make you cry, but you'll be a slightly better person for it.

A+ 
-Noctis, 2012

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by iceroll
  • Like 13

#60: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009) - 216 Points

Country of origin: USA (Sony Pictures Animation)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
The most delicious event since macaroni met cheese. Inspired by the beloved children's book, the film focuses on a town where food falls from the sky like rain.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is the first and only film from Sony Pictures Animation to make the Top 100. Arthur Christmas and Surf's Up were close, at #101 and #113, respectively. CWACOM2 was at #250 (ouch).

IMDB trivia:
Earl Devereaux has the exact opposite hairstyle his voice actor, Mr. T. Instead of a T-shaped mohawk, Earl sports a T-shaped bald patch.

BOF User Review:
smart, creative, touching, pretty and funny, what else can I ask for an animation? A- (90)
-Goffe, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 13

#59: ParaNorman (2012) - 218 Points

Country of origin: USA (Laika)
Animation style: Stop Motion
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A misunderstood boy takes on ghosts, zombies and grown-ups to save his town from a centuries-old curse.

Iceroll's list trivia:
ParaNorman, the "underrated underdog" according to many of the posters makes an appearance in the Top 60! It's also the most recent Stop Motion film on the list, which is pretty impressive.

IMDB trivia:
During the last few weeks leading up to the film's release, Laika sent 49 packages to 49 people (including Neil Gaiman and Kevin Smith). Each package consisted of a wooden crate from "Blithe Hollow" full of "grave dirt" which recipients had to dig through to unearth a coffin. Inside the coffin was one of the seven cursed zombies, complete with background information and name.

BOF User Blurb:
Spidey Freak:

An underrated gem if there ever was one! What starts out as an innocuous little movie with a typical plot about awkward small town kid trying to fit in and find a sense of belonging, it rapidly moves into hilarious Scooby-Doo meets Shaun of the Dead territory, before culminating into a poignant and emotionally powerful tale exploring the evils of a hive mind stemming from societal conformity and the themes of forgiveness vs. an all-consuming need for vengeance. 

In an age where even a giant like Disney Animation shuts its doors on its non-CGI focused departments, to see a studio like Laika devote itself to exclusively making stop-motion features is not only commendable, but downright heroic! And ParaNorman is definitely the studio's most heart-wrenching and fun output so far. Go Laika!

BOF User Review:
I really liked this movie, even though a bunch of the jokes didn't work for me, only a couple really landed, but I got pretty invested in the story and it's got a great message. Really cool animation as well. 
-CoolioD1, 2012

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 13

This is why I don't feel comfortable ranking my top 100 films. I probably have 50-100 films I could put on a "top" list, but I don't think it's fair to give one film I really like a higher numerical rank over another film I really like. (For example, Ghostbusters and Back to the Future would be in my top 10 favorites, but I cannot with good conscience rank either one over the other.)

• Like 1

This is why I don't feel comfortable ranking my top 100 films. I probably have 50-100 films I could put on a "top" list, but I don't think it's fair to give one film I really like a higher numerical rank over another film I really like. (For example, Ghostbusters and Back to the Future would be in my top 10 favorites, but I cannot with good conscience rank either one over the other.)

That's why if you look at my scoring scheme, I gave points based on a range of ranks ;)

• Like 1

Eww, why is Pocahantas on here, that movie has one good song and that's about all the good it has

Because every Renaissance Era animated movie must be on here, otherwise Spidey Freak and Films and the rest of the Disney posse will come after you.
  • Like 2