iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

I personally think Mulan's a better LGBT analogy. Although the late 80s/90s weren't a very accepting time so I don't know if any of it is really intentional from Disney.

I kinda agree about Mulan, but I do think he is right saying Ariel is a better analogy than Elsa. You are right that it probably wasn't intentional.
  • Like 1

We are still waiting for an openly gay character in animation, heard Pixar was considering it for one of their movies.

Hopefully, sometime soon there will be one and I think it would be great if Pixar was the first studio to do it.

We are still waiting for an openly gay character in animation, heard Pixar was considering it for one of their movies.

Well there was that one dude from ParaNorman:

Posted Image

They didn't really make it a big part of his character though, which I think is a good thing.

• Like 3

I personally think Mulan's a better LGBT analogy. Although the late 80s/90s weren't a very accepting time so I don't know if any of it is really intentional from Disney.

From the executives at Disney no, but subversively from some of the creators like Ashman (still very much missed) I think the layers are meant.

• Like 3

From the executives at Disney no, but subversively from some of the creators like Ashman (still very much missed) I think the layers are meant.

Didn't know who he was so I googled him:

On the night of the Academy Awards, Ashman told Menken that they needed to have an important talk when they got back to New York, where he revealed to Menken that he was HIV positive. He had been diagnosed in 1988, midway through the making of The Little Mermaid. During the making of Beauty and the Beast, the Disney animators were told to go work with Ashman at his home in Fishkill, New York, but nobody told them why they were being flown out there. A lot of the animators thought it was because he was a big shot, but then it became clear to them that he was seriously ill. He grew weaker, but he remained productive and continued to write songs. On March 10, 1991, the Disney animators had their first screening for Beauty and the Beast and it was an enormous success. Afterward, they visited Howard in the hospital. He was 80 pounds, had to wear adult diapers, lost all of his sight, and could barely speak. His mother showed the animators that he was wearing a Beauty and the Beast sweatshirt. The animators told him that the film was incredibly well received by the press and described to him in detail how it had gone. He nodded appreciatively to the news. As everyone said their goodbyes, producer Don Hahn leaned over to Howard and said, "Beauty and the Beast is going to be a great success. Who'd have thought it?", to which Ashman replied with "I would have." Four days later, on March 14, Ashman died following complications from AIDS at the age of 40 in New York City.[4] Beauty and the Beast is dedicated to him: "To our friend Howard, who gave a mermaid her voice and a beast his soul, we will be forever grateful. Howard Ashman 1950–1991."

Ashman was survived by his partner Bill Lauch, his sister Sarah Ashman-Gillespie, and his mother Shirley Thelma Glass .

Wow how devastating.
  • Like 7

People hate to admit it, but the only reason Disney had a renaissance was Jeffrey Katzenberg, there s a whole documentary about it and it is quite fascinating.The studio was in shambles when he took the reins over the old geezers of the disney board.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

People hate to admit it, but the only reason Disney had a renaissance was Jeffrey Katzenberg, there s a whole documentary about it and it is quite fascinating.The studio was in shambles when he took the reins over the old geezers of the disney board.

That's definitely true about Katzenberg, but he needed artistry of Howard Ashman, Alan Menken, John Musker, Ron Clements and others to usher in the magical Renaissance. It was a wonderful situation of the right people coming together at the right time.

• Like 5

Yes but that talent had to be there though Katzenbery was smart enough to pluck Mencken & Ashman off Broadway after The Little Shop Oh Horrors (brilliant) success.

As great as The Lion King was and as good as other Disney films have been since, the music in The Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast and the best three songs from Alladin (lyrics by Ashman) have yet to be matched

• Like 3

The real reason was because of An American Tale. When Eisner took over, he and Katzenberg were thinking about not making any more animated films. They were convinced that animation wasn't profitable any more. Then, An American Tale came out. It did well at the BO, and Eisner and Katzenberg decided that Disney should still make animated films because animation was still profitable.

I agree about Katzenberg being very important to what happened to Disney animation after that. However, An American Tale was the film that led to what Katzenberg ended up doing.

• Like 1

Katzenberg was hard and he was deeply involved in all the classics from the renaissance, he was at every artistic meeting with Disney teams and he was calling the shots every single day, the man is a control freak and a workaholic.Without his demented energy, we don t know what would have happened ...

• Like 4

Check out this amazing video of Ashman coaching Jodi Benson's (Ariel's voice actress) recording of "Part of Your World". He wanted the lights out in the studio so that Benson could get a feeling of being "trapped underwater" in the darkness. He really wanted everyone involved to pour their heart and soul into the song:

We lost him too early. :(

• Like 5