eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

TMNT looks like a lock to outgross Dragon 2 domestically. I'm shocked, a combination of a movie which people enjoy and choosing a good release date is working wonders. TMNT has a chance at a 3 multiplier. Safe to say no one saw that coming.

I really thought it was going to collapse in it's 2nd weekend, but its overperforming every week. In this rate 200m isn't that far away. 

• Like 2

In a decade, when people are looking back at the summer of 2014, they'll notice that two August releases really set the box office on fire.  GOTG obviously will stand out but TMNT, whether it grosses 180 mill or 200 mill, will also be a nice story.

• Like 9

Hmmm, maybe other estimates, but see the other little strange (atypical for him) mistakes = maybe ill or ... :P for another reason not fit ;)

• Like 1

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice 7 mins

LOVE IS STRANGE opened with an estimated $126,552 this weekend from 5 locations. #LoveIsStrange

When is this expanding?  Is it getting a wide release?

Also has anyone here seen it?  They must drop a lot of F-bombs in this movie to get an R-rating because there's no violence, sex or nudity and we all know that the MPAA wouldn't possibly bump this up to R just because it's about a married gay couple.

In a decade, when people are looking back at the summer of 2014, they'll notice that two August releases really set the box office on fire.  GOTG obviously will stand out but TMNT, whether it grosses 180 mill or 200 mill, will also be a nice story.

You are right, besides them this summer has been pretty boring to look at boxoffice wise.

• Like 1

This August is really reminding me of Rush Hour 2/American Pie 2 back in August 2001, but on a higher scale. Those two (along with The Princess Diaries and The Others as leggy hits) did a lot to redeem an otherwise meh month.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

It is always a possibility if the humor hit the - in a lot of Asian countries often totally other way to feel / sense humor - their way of humor too. GotG had varying success in different Asian markets, but rather good ones in Europe (as far as released) and again from record breaking to middle in South America

WOM is very important, but see: what is humor / funny, .... wait and see how especially China see it and I am really curious about Japan as well. Beside their rather big love for Spider-Man they usually prefer animated/non-live action movies, if it's about action-comedy-and-so-on mixes, but there are exceptions.

Same counts for Germany and Italy as well, can be big, but in no way is a guarantee that it will be big. Depends also on the quality of the dubbing (the German one doesn't look that good to me)

What the hell is wrong with all the other country's, we don't dubb, we see the movie in englisch with subtitles, way better.

K, kids movies are dubbed but that's they can't read or understand it.

• Like 1

See the post about the comparisons of August 2014 to 2013 and 2012.

Top 10 vs. 2013 100,055,000 83,820,528 19.4            

Top 10 vs. 2012 100,055,000 76,007,064 31.6

Such numbers in a year, where till then the year was minus 20% => it didn't avoid the complete minus. but it helped noticeably

:wiggle: = me seeing the August sum numbers (not some of the details :sick: )

• Like 1

lol TMNT is going to have one of the best legs among summer films. It is also going to finish close to TASM ll and GODZILLA. No one saw that coming. Or did you Baumer?

Hell no.  I didn't even have it in my top 15 in May.  I had no idea it would do this well.

• Like 2

That's a first. GOTG, TMNT and to some extent LUCY are the victors.

Yeah, forgot about Lucy. It did come out last weekend of July, where it made most of its money, but in a way it might have helped out this month a bit. 

• Like 1