eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

I try to respect everyone on here's opinions (not to say I don't engage in these debates as well) but when you go out of your way to mention how "unique" your taste is and how pretentious it is to like movie A or brand B... that in itself is kind of pretentious and the word we typically use to classify this mindset is "hipster". 

• Like 2

Holy shit, it is over 100k lower than the estimate. When I thought it couldn't go any lower, it just did :lol:

GotG is also deeper than in the title. One user here or on one of the GotG threads already mentioned something about Sunday estimates too high....

I try to respect everyone on here's opinions (not to say I don't engage in these debates as well) but when you go out of your way to mention how "unique" your taste is and how pretentious it is to like movie A or brand B... that in itself is kind of pretentious and the word we typically use to classify this mindset is "hipster". 

Did I ever use unique my taste is in film?  I hope that's not directed at me because a lot of what I like is massively grossing films.

• Like 2

Great chart, but this August is going to kick every others ass. No need to be pessimistic about this month.

Yeah. I mean why didn't the chart state that 1) an August release is the highest earner for the summer, and 2) that TMNT is also an overperformer. And a pretty huge one? Yes, it's true that fewer movies are released in August, but no one expected GOTG, even at it's best prediction, to hit as high as it did, and others thought TMNT would flop on its ass. Which it didn't.
  • Like 1

Great chart, but this August is going to kick every others ass. No need to be pessimistic about this month.

Not this month :wub:  (as a sum, not so good for some studios and cinemas contracted by distributers to show certain movies for a contracted time), but this season.... :(  ('summer' is a rather important season IMHO)

=> not pessimistic, but aware :thinking:  (and annoyed about  anti... see the other posts) ;)

Did I ever use unique my taste is in film?  I hope that's not directed at me because a lot of what I like is massively grossing films.

I didn't direct it at one person in particular, it just seemed relevant to post.

Edited by Mango

Baumer, you should really make a list of every movie you seem the only one to hate/dislike but almost everybody else seems to love.You throw knives at popular/beloved movies here and there but we really want to know how your movie DNA taste is made of.

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/16054-the-baumer-loves-and-hates-movie-thread/#entry1659961

But who said their taste in film is unique?

Just an example, but I have seen a few people on here mention that they have "unique" tastes before. Which is all fine, that doesn't rub me the wrong way at all.

Yeah. I mean why didn't the chart state that 1) an August release is the highest earner for the summer, and 2) that TMNT is also an overperformer. And a pretty huge one?Yes, it's true that fewer movies are released in August, but no one expected GOTG, even at it's best prediction, to hit as high as it did, and others thought TMNT would flop on its ass. Which it didn't.

I think it was not the goal of that article (I think it was Blomberg = business), plus it was created (see remark) 3 weeks in August...

I added it, as some seem have not totally been aware about this summers details and I think it shows rather obvious this summer's situation.

I like chart presentations and such....

The Hundred-Foot Journey $5,339,006 -26% 1,944 -99 $2,746 $32,527,210

4 Maleficent $591,073 60% 344 100 $1,718 $237,602,294  

Love Pixar, but Ratatouille is the critically acclaimed one I don't care for.   Wall-E is one of my favorites.

You get the numbers, but the movies don't get all allowed, or a good date (not the date the studios would like) and it's limited on the few weeks. Very very seldom a movie can get an extension.It's not a 'blanket', it's influencing/restricting how much a movie can make, usually used after one movie did 'too good'.

But again:

the numbers itself are credible (after a time, some countries do not report as regular or in another rhythm as the most other countries do.

The numbers are credible of course...but if the most important market on the OS stage is artificially effecting the potential gross in its country, that diminishes the reliability of WW numbers as an indicator of demand for a movie.

Love Pixar, but Ratatouille is the critically acclaimed one I don't care for.   Wall-E is one of my favorites.

The numbers are credible of course...but if the most important market on the OS stage is artificially effecting the potential gross in its country, that diminishes the reliability of WW numbers as an indicator of demand for a movie.

That I agree whole-heartedly to

So basically as long as I post opinions that agree with yours, then it's okay with you?

No.  As long as you post REASONS instead of one sentence "this is terrible" or "this sucks".  

I find the constant "Turtles sucks, it looks like crap, etc" to be just as bothersome as "Pixar is terrible" even though I enjoy some Pixar and I think Turtles is just a middling movie that has too much Megan Fox.

And I'm not even a huge Pixar fan, if that gives some context.  Everyone I know loves Incredibles.  I thought it was boring and trite and definitely not anywhere on my top ten or even top twenty-five list of superhero films.  I thought the opening of Up was well done but the majority of the storyline lost a lot of the charm of the first ten minutes.  I readily admit that the only reason I found Cars amusing was because I'm a Nascar fan.  I certainly don't think that Pixar is the be-all end-all of movie studios, animation studios or even kiddie-movie producers.

I don't even mind hearing a contrary opinion to mine.  Hell, I welcome it.... IF it's thought out and has points that I can examine and maybe say "yeah, I can see where this person is coming from".  It's the "I don't like this therefore I will say it is terrible regardless of context/conversation/setting" that bothers me.  I welcome your analysis of Pixar if it's an actual analysis.  I don't even care if you say "I don't like it" or "I think it's bad" on something like that ONCE in a conversation, even if I think it's a waste of a post to have just the single sentence "this thing sucks".  But c'mon man.  Repeating it over and over is dull and cumbersome and doesn't give anything to work with in a conversation.

I'm not asking for the same opinion.  I'm asking for some EFFORT.

• Like 1