Impact

Weekend Prediction thread 7/4-7/7 Independence Day weekend Play the Derby

4 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

It is estimated at 2,900 right now and given that Hands of Stone isn't taking up as many and other factors hoping that Sony pushed for more.  

Sony seems very confident in the movie. Hopefully they do push for more theaters.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Impact said:

What will be the next big opener? Sully? When the Bough Breaks? Magnificent Seven? (or maybe 20M+ opener or even a 30M+ opener-as I said for M7 it is stilly iffy even if it does amazing in the state I live in that means nothing elsewhere as westerns tend to always do well here)

Storks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The marketing for Don't Breathe has actually been really effective. Thrillers like this (that have a clear and marketable premise) usually do solid business at least ala The Shallows.

Agreed, and it is actually a really effective film that is better than most horror releases.  I'm not into horror, but it is well done and Stephen Lang is terrifying.  

• Like 1

Just now, nilephelan said:

Agreed, and it is actually a really effective film that is better than most horror releases.  I'm not into horror, but it is well done and Stephen Lang is terrifying.  

I'm actually really looking forward to it and I never see horror movies in theaters (except on rare occasions). Also would like to see Jane Levy get more movie work.

1. Don't Breathe - 18.7M
  2. Suicide Squad - 13.7M
  3. War Dogs - 8.5M
  4. Sausage Party - 8.3M
  5. Kubo and the Two Strings - 8.2M
  6. Hell or High Water - 7.2M
  7. Bad Moms - 6.0M
  8. Pete's Dragon - 5.8M
  9. Ben-Hur - 5.5M
  10. Jason Bourne - 4.9M
  11. The Secret Life of Pets - 4.1M
  12. Mechanic: Resurrection - 3.3M

There is a comparison that could work out to show how Don't Breathe breaks out opening weekend.  

When A Stranger Calls (2006) had a $21.6m opening weekend with a similar 2,999 theater count.  Simple, straight forward alone in the house with a psycho concept that had an effective marketing campaign and released by Sony the first week of February.  Plays to a diverse but younger crowd and is more of a thriller than a horror film.  

It was PG-13, but it had terrible reviews so that might be a wash. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nilephelan said:

There is a comparison that could work out to show how Don't Breathe breaks out opening weekend.  

When A Stranger Calls (2006) had a $21.6m opening weekend with a similar 2,999 theater count.  Simple, straight forward alone in the house with a psycho concept that had an effective marketing campaign and released by Sony the first week of February.  Plays to a diverse but younger crowd and is more of a thriller than a horror film.  

It was PG-13, but it had terrible reviews so that might be a wash. 

Lights Out only opened in 2818 theaters to $21.7M and just 6 weeks ago.

Don't Breathe has near 9M trailer views, FB likes are solidly above War Dogs (not sure where they were to Lights Out same point in the sales cycle).  It also showed up much earlier on Twitter than War Dogs and has been killing it on there the last two days.  Outperformed Rings yesterday with their trailer premiere going for them.  Lighting it up this morning too.

$16M-$20M seems almost a lock at this point.  $20M+ is going to be tougher, but definitely possible.  I read over on HSX that awareness is under 60% and I'm not sure where that info is coming from.  As far as the social media atmosphere is going, the kids are talking about it and that's all the awareness you need for this film.

• Like 2

Just now, lobogotti said:

Lights Out only opened in 2818 theaters to $21.7M and just 6 weeks ago.

Don't Breathe has near 9M trailer views, FB likes are solidly above War Dogs (not sure where they were to Lights Out same point in the sales cycle).  It also showed up much earlier on Twitter than War Dogs and has been killing it on there the last two days.  Outperformed Rings yesterday with their trailer premiere going for them.  Lighting it up this morning too.

$16M-$20M seems almost a lock at this point.  $20M+ is going to be tougher, but definitely possible.  I read over on HSX that awareness is under 60% and I'm not sure where that info is coming from.  As far as the social media atmosphere is going, the kids are talking about it and that's all the awareness you need for this film.

I'm all in on this and have been for a while now.  Hope it breaks out.  

• Like 2