Lazer

Movies that you changed your opinion of over time, for Better/Worse?

Titanic (for better) I was 10 when I saw it (back where girls had cooties and all romance was stupid) I used to love Matilda, then I didn't like it for a while, but now I love it again. Also, August Rush, which I didn't hate, I only thought it was okay, but now I LOVE it.

My example that immediately comes to mind: Tim Burton's Batman movies. I really liked them in that post-B&R era when the Schumacher movies were fresh in the mind (or rotten in the mind, as it were). They were still the DEFINITIVE Batman movies for me. Then, as I got more into reruns of the animated series, and especially in the months leading up to Batman Begins, I grew to quite dislike them (Laundry list at the time included: Batman kills people! The Prince songs! Joker shoots down the plane with one shot from a gun in his pants! Why does Bruce Wayne sleep upside down like a bat in that one scene? The Penguin is a Tim Burton freak stereotype! Selina Kyle magically resurrected by cat licks! Why did the Penguin bite that guy's nose off?! Penguins with rockets strapped to their backs! The Penguin "driving" a ride-em toy Batmobile! Batman record-scratches on a CD! They're really no less campy than the Adam West show!) There was some interview with Mark Hamill where he ripped into the Burton movies, and at the time I believed myself to be in total agreement with the stuff he said. Then, at some point after TDK, I gradually came back into realizing that flawed as they may be, I did not hate them, and was willing to enjoy them for what they were. So I've reached a happy medium.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 5

Titanic (for better) I was 10 when I saw it (back where girls had cooties and all romance was stupid) I used to love Matilda, then I didn't like it for a while, but now I love it again. Also, August Rush, which I didn't hate, I only thought it was okay, but now I LOVE it.

Titanic is my biggest one. I was about 14 when I first watched it, and claimed the sinking was the only good bit. When the rerelease trailer came out, I got excited to have the opportunity to re-evaluate it because it was a hell of a trailer. Actually seeing it in the theatre as an adult was an incredible experience, and turned it from a film I loathed to a film I'm very comfortable calling my third favourite of all time.
  • Like 2

Up- First time I watched it with some family members I was quite annoyed with it(probably because I had wanted to watch something else) because I didnt like the bird or the kid. The second time I watched I hated it even more, everything I didnt like about it the first time became magnified. But the third time I watched it I fell in love with it, and saw the deeper meaning. It even made me a little teary eyed. 

It jumped from a C- to an A in that third viewing for me

• Like 2

Up- First time I watched it with some family members I was quite annoyed with it(probably because I had wanted to watch something else) because I didnt like the bird or the kid. The second time I watched I hated it even more, everything I didnt like about it the first time became magnified. But the third time I watched it I fell in love with it, and saw the deeper meaning. It even made me a little teary eyed. 

It jumped from a C- to an A in that third viewing for me

Good story.

Question though.  If you didn't like it the first time, what drove you to see it a second and especially, a third time?

Edited by lilmac

My example that immediately comes to mind: Tim Burton's Batman movies. I really liked them in that post-B&R era when the Schumacher movies were fresh in the mind (or rotten in the mind, as it were). They were still the DEFINITIVE Batman movies for me. Then, as I got more into reruns of the animated series, and especially in the months leading up to Batman Begins, I grew to quite dislike them (Laundry list at the time included: Batman kills people! The Prince songs! Joker shoots down the plane with one shot from a gun in his pants! Why does Bruce Wayne sleep upside down like a bat in that one scene? The Penguin is a Tim Burton freak stereotype! Selina Kyle magically resurrected by cat licks! Why did the Penguin bite that guy's nose off?! Penguins with rockets strapped to their backs! The Penguin "driving" a ride-em toy Batmobile! Batman record-scratches on a CD! They're really no less campy than the Adam West show!) There was some interview with Mark Hamill where he ripped into the Burton movies, and at the time I believed myself to be in total agreement with the stuff he said. Then, at some point after TDK, I gradually came back into realizing that flawed as they may be, I did not hate them, and was willing to enjoy them for what they were. So I've reached a happy medium.

Good point.  I may have to add Batman 1989 to the list.  Not sure if you are old enough but at the time many of those quirks you mentioned didn't take away from the serious nature of the Batman films.  Despite the Burtonesque atmosphere, those first two Batman films were still dark and foreboding.  Perhaps Elfman had a little to do with that.  We just took it as a given that Gotham was a wacky town and characters like Penguin exists.  It made sense given Penguin's nature that there would be rockets strapped on penguins' backs.  Why not?  Burton did a good job of getting the audience accustomed to this world where yes, a woman could get resurrected by cat licks because we knew she would become Catwoman.  It was a different audience back then.  We were more willing to let the movie take us in weird directions.  On a related note, I'm surprised Terry Gilliam didn't have more boxoffice success back then.

Nowadays though, Batman Returns is unwatchable for me.

• Like 1

Up- First time I watched it with some family members I was quite annoyed with it(probably because I had wanted to watch something else) because I didnt like the bird or the kid. The second time I watched I hated it even more, everything I didnt like about it the first time became magnified. But the third time I watched it I fell in love with it, and saw the deeper meaning. It even made me a little teary eyed.  It jumped from a C- to an A in that third viewing for me

I'm the opposite when I first saw UP I loves it, same the second time. Rewatched it recently and the opening is still perfect but other than that it's only slightly enjoyable

Good story.

Question though.  If you didn't like it the first time, what drove you to see it a second and especially, a third time?

Second time my sister wanted to watch it again, i was stuck with some relatives again and didnt have much else to do. The 3rd time was with some similar aged teenagers for a church thing

Since I just posted about it yesterday, THE THIN RED LINE. I was pretty mixed about it overall when it first came out, in large part because I was in my mid-20s, I had never seen a Malick movie before, and I was expecting something more...normal. Sure, I was assuming it'd be a thoughtful look at how devastating war is, but my worldview about what meant were relatively typical movies like PATHS OF GLORY or even APOCALYPSE NOW (which is closer in tone to THIN RED LINE but still relatively conventional by comparison). So I found the multiple philosophical narrators annoying and/or stupid, I didn't really grasp the greater, more delicate thrust of what Malick was trying to do, the lack of main narrative plot was frustrating, and I was looking for something closer to SAVING PRIVATE RYAN except, you know, more arty.

Flashforward to 16 years later. I'm a different person now than I was, my tastes in movies have adjusted somewhat (and also broadened), I'm now not only familiar with Malick, I really love his stuff, generally, and so when I watched TRL again (for the first time since I saw it in theaters), it had a much more dramatic impact on me. I really loved it.

• Like 2

Better - Spiderman 2. When I was kid, I liked it, but it was "boring" to me, mainly when compared to Spiderman 1 and 3. Those were the "action packed" and "cool looking" ones. SM2 felt too...bore. Now, holy smokes is that a movie. I truly appreciate the train sequence, the Peter-MJ-Octavious relationships, the everything. I still don't know if I'd put it ahead of SM1. If I take out nostalga factor, then maybe. And yes, SM2 is cleary better than 3 to me now. As far as worse, IDK. Most movies aren't as good the seccond and third view, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head where I go "wow, that was actually pretty stupid. How did I like that." But I know there's some.

• Like 1

2012 - disliked it at first, not I think its a true guilty pleasure, pure enjoyable fun

TDKR - very disappointed at first, now I like it

Chronicles of Riddick - loved this film when it first came out, now I think its a horrendous piece of shit lol, funny that.

The Village - Hated it at first, though it was one of the worst movies id ever seen. After a few years break, I watched it again without the misleading marketing campaign and found it to be a very good/ well made film with some brilliant acting.

Edited by jessie

Titanic - masterpiece at first, then I felt meh about it for a short snobbish era- now Masterpiece again

Phantom Menace - worse over the years after having liked it a great deal as a 11 year old

The Lovely Bones - better over the years after I re-watched it without so many of the reviews in mind

Zodiac - okay at first, I believe it is a masterpiece now. Re-watched it close to 7-8 times.

Iron Lady - okay at first, total mess after re-watch

Downfall - not sure about the focus at first, grown fascinated by it over the years

Avatar - dislike it more and more... 

Edited by ShouldIBeHere