rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

I think a lot of members here have not seen a lot of Hitchcock films

I never saw any of his films. :ph34r:
that's why I didn't send my list, I still have to watch a lot of films, it would just feel wrong.

His filmography is on my priority list though
Edited by Goffe R Swanson
  • Like 1

That makes sense for the lead characters... but directors is kinda iffy (Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, QT, etc). And Star Wars (OT) and the LOTR films should be excluded from the 1 per franchise rule. Same with Godfather, Toy Story and Man With No Name. Agree with the rest though 

Hunger Games shouldn't even be in the top 100  :ph34r: top 250 is fine I guess, but more top 1000 if anything. 

Then we'd wind up with just 5 Nolans. :lol:   This would just be a way to force some more diversity and make voters choose between favorites and spread the wealth a bit.

I could see The Godfathers being an exception (though I only voted for Godfather II since I implemented my own one per series rule) but I don't see why Star Wars, LOTR should be excluded any more than Indiana Jones, Bond, Iron Man or Batman etc except for personal preference about those series.    The Man With No Name though isn't a franchise and it's all different characters with actually different names, it was just a  marketing spin to pretend otherwise.

• Like 1

Then we'd wind up with just 5 Nolans. :lol:   This would just be a way to force some more diversity and make voters choose between favorites and spread the wealth a bit.

I could see The Godfathers being an exception (though I only voted for Godfather II since I implemented my own one per series rule) but I don't see why Star Wars, LOTR should be excluded any more than Indiana Jones, Bond, Iron Man or Batman etc except for personal preference about those series.    The Man With No Name though isn't a franchise and it's all different characters with actually different names, it was just a  marketing spin to pretend otherwise.

LOTR is really one film whereas Bond, Indiana Jones, etc... are separate installments with loose connections between films. But LOTR trilogy should be counted as one entry (all three films take one slot, with the votes for all three being tallied as one position on the list)

Star Wars is more because Episodes IV and V are both considered must-sees - even though V is considered the best, IV is still considered a landmark blockbuster. 

• Like 1

The Director rule sounds good, but you would need to make the quota at least 3 films, imo. Certain filmmakers do have 3 works that could be considered masterpieces, even in the rigid sense of that word (Spielberg comes to mind).

With the franchise rule, it should be 2 films at max. Certain franchises should count as one film, imo. (LOTR, the first two Godfathers, Toy Story) however if we're going in that direction, we need to figure out which franchises count as one film before we create lists, that way, tabulating points is easier.

As for how to deal with movies that are both loved and hated (TDKR/MOS) here's my suggestion: Every voter can get anywhere from 5-10 films that he or she could "strike". If a voter strikes a film, then the film loses some fixed amount of points from its total score at the end. If 2 voters strike a film, it loses double the fixed amount of points from its total score.

The problem, however, with adding all of these rules is that they make the list process way less fun. Also, suddenly lists become strategy as opposed to honesty. I really love TDK, and if all of these rules were implemented, I would probably rank it #1 (even though my #1 favorite film is The Matrix). Why? Cause I want to see TDK end up high up on the list. So IDK if these suggestions would help, but you can consider it when you try this next year.

• Like 1

quotas are a stupid idea. Trying to curb the list so it looks more like how you want it to look is dumb. You're essentially trying to muzzle people for liking the "wrong" things. So what if someone wants to put eight batman movies on their list?

• Like 3

I'd personally like to see people give their individual lists or put a spin on it, say the 100 best films since you were born?

My list would be pretty similar to my top 100 films list but people would be less upset with me for the things that I disinclude.

Same reason Man of Steel is on nearly every list, positive and negative. It very nearly made it onto this list (1 point and 1 vote away). Had it done so, my commentary on TDKR would've looked tame in comparison. 

If it had made it, it would have been deserving, Man Of Steel is a great film.

• Like 2

If it had made it, it would have been deserving, Man Of Steel is a great film.

Ahahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahaha hahaha hahahah hahahaha hahahaha hahaha hahahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahahahaha hahaha hahaha hahahaha hahaha hahaha hee hee hahaha hahahaha haha hee hee hee hahaha haw haw hee hee hahaha.

No. No it's not.

(I've also typed the word ha so many times it's now lost all meaning to me.)

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 1