rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

And-now.jpg

39. Forrest Gump (1994) 28 points- 12 votes

"My name's Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump."

Forrest-Gump-Poster.jpg

Forrest Gump is a simple man with a low I.Q. but good intentions. He is running through childhood with his best and only friend Jenny. His 'mama' teaches him the ways of life and leaves him to choose his destiny. Forrest joins the army for service in Vietnam, finding new friends called Dan and Bubba, he wins medals, creates a famous shrimp fishing fleet, inspires people to jog, starts a ping-pong craze, create the smiley, write bumper stickers and songs, donating to people and meeting the president several times. However, this is all irrelevant to Forrest who can only think of his childhood sweetheart Jenny Curran. Who has messed up her life. Although in the end all he wants to prove is that anyone can love anyone.

Trivia: When Forrest gets up to talk at the Vietnam rally in Washington, the microphone plug is pulled and you cannot hear him. According to Tom Hanks, he says, "Sometimes when people go to Vietnam, they go home to their mommas without any legs. Sometimes they don't go home at all. That's a bad thing. That's all I have to say about that."

Ruk's Comments

"Sorry guys, I've still not seen this one yet. I could make another Monty Python reference maybe?"

• Like 13

Huh.  Well, I went 1 for 4 on my guesses.  

Like others I'd have preferred to see Wrath of Khan in that spot, but I actually really did like the 2009 movie.  If for whatever reason it gets the Star Trek "slot" then I don't really object to it.  Alien was *awesome* and I have no objection to both it and Aliens being on the list.  

Forrest Gump is kind of a troublesome movie to rate.  It was really good, but its sort of hard to evaluate as an actual movie since its like a movie-ized version of REM's "Its the End of the World as we know it" instead of a conventional film.  

• Like 2

Gump is a good choice to be on this list.  I think it's sometimes forgotten how good Hanks was in the film.

The scene(tagged for Ruk) 

where he finds out he's a father still gets to me.

Alright, I'll spoiler it as well.

"Is he stupid?  Like me?" That line retroactively made the whole movie work, because it revealed that while Gump may have been beatifically placid on the surface, internally he had his demons just like everyone else.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 5

Gump is a good choice to be on this list.  I think it's sometimes forgotten how good Hanks was in the film.

The whole ending of Forrest Gump was emotionnal. One of the reasons it did gangbusters business.

• Like 2

You know how them hipsters just love to hate on movies that are universally loved...

• Like 1

You know how them hipsters just love to hate on movies that are universally loved...

Really Forrest Gump gets hated on because it beat Pulp Fiction and Shawshank for BP. If it hadn't won, I don't think it would be remotely called underrated. 

Easily one of my all-time favorites. 

Gravity better than Spiderman 2, TDKR, Bourne Ultimatum, Frozen, Curse of the Black Pearl???

Not to mention some movies that didn't make the list at all... *cough*Transformers *cough *

Yeah Gravity is definitely a better movie than all of those combined. Gravity is a deserving choice unlike the others you mentioned.

Transformers is trash.

• Like 6