grim22

Weekend Estimates: Annabelle - 37.2M | Gone Girl - 38M | Equalizer - 19M | Maze Runner - 12M | Left Behind - 6.8M

Weird. I don't think Affleck character came out that bad. 

Now Pike I hated. What a total bitch and that scene where she plays up the 'rape' for the video cameras was chilling.

He was a

self-absorbed asshole and that never really changed. While Pike's character obviously did worse deeds, I had a certain admiration about how completely she went for it -- at first to succeed with her wildest dreams, and later to simply survive. There were really only two significant characters who I felt came off well: Go and Kim Dickey's detective.

• Like 1

*stares at Christoph Waltz, Monique, and Heath Ledger.* Uh...

I don't think Affleck will be nominated unfortunately. Pike though... that was a role and performance of pure iconicness

All three of those are significantly different. Waltz was a campy ham. Monique was a monster "redeemed" by her big Lifetime-movie speech at the end. Ledger was more of a symbol for chaos -- and comfortably outside typical everyday experience by being in a CBM. Plus, he died.

Pike (and Affleck) were not only

reprehensible characters (for different reasons), they were unrepentant, unchanged, and in fact "escaped" any sort of "movie justice" (which also separates them from Waltz, Monique, and Ledger). Not only that, but they both stand-in for exactly the sort of upper-middle class Americana that most of the Academy lives in.

• Like 2

I don't really think

Affleck ended up very sympathetic at all

. I thought the ending was pure poetic justice:

they deserved each other.

A better ending would've been:

Harris's character locking her up and keeping her ( they portrayed him as a little pycho also ) and Affleck going to jail.

Amy being able to fool the FBI so easily just didn't pass the smell test with me

A better ending would've been:

Harris's character locking her up and keeping her ( they portrayed him as a little pycho also ) and Affleck going to jail.

Amy being able to fool the FBI so easily just didn't pass the smell test with me

I thought that would've been poetic as well:

She, trapped in a paradise of elegance and lavishness... however, it lacks the added touch of each of them being the agent for each other's lifelong misery and distrust.

In terms of the FBI... I don't think anyone would say this is a purely realistic movie. But as a cynical commentary on gender and marital relations (to say nothing of middle-class fears and reassurances), the FBI being fooled fits perfectly. All the male agents being so eager to console and protect a beautiful woman who's reinforcing their every fear and concern about rape and sexual imprisonment. Pretty much every moment in the movie is about someone wearing a mask or persona to either society or another individual... while adopting conventions and behaviors that our culture deems "appropriate". All this focus on surface behaviors and appearances and personalities, while the darker currents go un-noticed... the FBI collectively merely acted as every person did individually.

• Like 1

All three of those are significantly different. Waltz was a campy ham. Monique was a monster "redeemed" by her big Lifetime-movie speech at the end. Ledger was more of a symbol for chaos -- and comfortably outside typical everyday experience by being in a CBM. Plus, he died.

Pike (and Affleck) were not only

reprehensible characters (for different reasons), they were unrepentant, unchanged, and in fact "escaped" any sort of "movie justice" (which also separates them from Waltz, Monique, and Ledger). Not only that, but they both stand-in for exactly the sort of upper-middle class Americana that most of the Academy lives in.

Okay, I can't really reply on Monique since I've never seen Precious - I just knew she was a villain :P Also not gonna touch on Affleck since I think he'll be lucky to get a nom.

At points, I thought Pike

was campy though. In the best way of course. Her monologues were delectably hammy at points and I loved it. I don't think Pike is gonna win, Tele (mostly because I believe Moore's movie is coming out), but I think she certainly has the best chance of the other major possibilities for BA at the moment. :)

You agree, babe?  :wub:

Yeah, Pike proved that she's a star with that role. Holy shit.

• Like 1

I don't really think

Affleck ended up very sympathetic at all

. I thought the ending was pure poetic justice:

they deserved each other.

In the book, both characters come off bad, but Afflecks performance and the trial by media stuff make his character the default hero.

It must be just me who

didn't dislike Affleck's character at all. Yes he cheated but he wasn't that bad.

Nope, me too. Thought that his punishment was the media stuff.

his character comes off as the defeated hero in the end.

Wow, that's an amazing Saturday for Annabelle! After Friday's numbers, nobody thought it'd be anywhere close to GG for the weekend!

Seriously, how the hell does a horror movie have that good of a hold on a Saturday? Let alone a sequel!

Holy smokes, 44% drop for Equalizer is fantastic going up against 2 other R-rated openers! Great second weekend for Denzel!

He may not want a franchise or a sequel, but he might get stuck with one anyways.

• Like 4

Great weekend all around! Two openers over 35, and great holds for Equalizer, Boxtrolls, Maze Runner, GOTG, and likely all the holdovers!

Fantastic weekend for the box office! What's going on here?

• Like 2