grim22

Weekend Estimates: Annabelle - 37.2M | Gone Girl - 38M | Equalizer - 19M | Maze Runner - 12M | Left Behind - 6.8M

That's a good exception... but exceptions prove the rule, not to mention he was already such a towering juggernaut of an actor he's basically the front runner of any movie he's in.

Yeah, Day-Lewis for TWBB was simply too big and too good to ignore even for the voters who don't vote for Villain Protagonists.

Usually the assholes are consigned to Supporting Actor.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3

I think I've seen several Fincher movies and I only figured out they were all by him about 3 months ago, he's not exactly public.

And when you have the amount of work, wealth (seriously, look up his net worth), and power of Tyler Perry, not knowing a particular director by name seems understandable.

I think it's f**king embarrassing. U been in the game for years and you don't know who one of the premiere directors in your own field is.

I think it's f**king embarrassing. U been in the game for years and you don't know who one of the premiere directors in your own field is.

Tyler Perry is in a position where he just doesn't need to know people's names.

• Like 1

That whole quote read like an insult of it to me. Like he wouldn't want to work with Fincher (not did he know who Fincher was??) and didn't want to do a movie based on a popular book.

He didn't want to do a part based on his assumptions, but he did it and hasn't said a bad word about the experience.

I didn't want to take a job with a certain company based on what I knew of the company, I still took it and I love it. It's the same thing.

• Like 1

The character in There will be blood was not a bad guy to me.

He was just the perfect representation of what America has been about since its inception.

You bet the old farts at AMPAS saw a little bit of them in the character.

With some awards talk in this thread; Oscar voters watch Gone Girl and.. don't bet on wins? :lol:

"I didn’t want to know anything about the movie before I saw it, but I kept hearing people talking about Ben Affleck’s penis," one academy member, a screenwriter, said. "Now I know why. It’s a more fully realized character here than the one Pike plays."

“What did I just see?” one Oscar-nominated producer asked, walking along Wilshire Boulevard to his car. "That's it? Really? I've seen better social commentary in a good episode of 'Bob's Burgers.'"

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/goldstandard/la-et-mn-gone-girl-academy-oscars-20141004-column.html

Tyler Perry is in a position where he just doesn't need to know people's names.

If you work in a field you should know the big names of your respective field. Obviously you won't know everyone but David Fincher is a very big name

• Like 1

If you're a physicist and don't know who Hawking is, you wouldn't call that weird? Or say a football player who don't know Messi?

Why should he care? He should know the filmmakers competing with his movies, but I just don't know why Tyler Perry would have to know who Fincher is. He's done pretty well not knowing.

• Like 1

Why should he care? He should know the filmmakers competing with his movies, but I just don't know why Tyler Perry would have to know who Fincher is. He's done pretty well not knowing.

It's not that they compete, it's that Fincher is a highly influential director. Any serious director should at least recognize the name.

• Like 3

If you're a physicist and don't know who Hawking is, you wouldn't call that weird? Or say a football player who don't know Messi?

C'mon. Hawking and Messi are way, way bigger than Fincher. Even people not into those things knows those guys. Fincher is kinda known, but you have to be into movies

Perry makes movies in his bubble. trying to tell me he should know who fincher is just because they both make movies is fucking ridiculous. My friend works in telecommunications, I don't think he could tell you any of the biggest names of his field. You guys are just looking for a reason to rag on the guy even though you don't have a good one.

• Like 2

He seems quite grateful to be in the movie now. But I understand where he's coming from.

I dont get it. Why would Perry have a problem with Fincher?

• Like 1

C'mon. Hawking and Messi are way, way bigger than Fincher. Even people not into those things knows those guys. Fincher is kinda known, but you have to be into movies

Perry makes movies in his bubble. trying to tell me he should know who fincher is just because they both make movies is fucking ridiculous. My friend works in telecommunications, I don't think he could tell you any of the biggest names of his field. You guys are just looking for a reason to rag on the guy even though you don't have a good one.

It'd be like working as a research physicist and not even being familiar with the name of Erik Drexler then.

Or being an NFL player who doesn't know Tom Brady.

Fincher's been up for quite a few Oscars and made a lot of well known films, he is definitely up there in directors you should know.

• Like 3

I dont get it. Why would Perry have a problem with Fincher?

The type of movies he makes, compared to that of Tyler Perry is used to seem vastly different. He probably expected a sodomy filled, gore fest.

• Like 2