A Marvel Fanboy

Friday 12/23/11 Numbers

• Founder / Operator

It probably helped that last year's had a ton of mainstream appeal. King's Speech, True Grit, and even Black Swan had elements friendly to wide audiences. None of this year's do. Sadly, this Oscar season is looking like a pretty boring one in stark contrast to last year. The Academy is going to seriously regret their revoking of the 10 nominee rule, because unless Potter can sneak in with a nomination (and even that may not matter much) there's really no reason for people to watch the show this year.Well, other than Billy Crystal. :)

Edited by ShawnMR

• Founder / Operator

Tron had a solid marketing campaign. Tintin...I can't even begin to describe how awful Paramount has handled the film. Shame, too, because its quite good for the mo-cap animation genre.Then again, they probably saved some money by cutting back on the marketing...which might in turn help decide its fate when it comes to profitability. Still, chances of seeing that sequel aren't too good...and that kinda sucks, because this might have been the last best hope for mo-cap animated films.

It probably helped that last year's had a ton of mainstream appeal. King's Speech, True Grit, and even Black Swan had elements friendly to wide audiences. None of this year's do. Sadly, this Oscar season is looking like a pretty boring one in stark contrast to last year. The Academy is going to seriously regret their revoking of the 10 nominee rule, because unless Potter can sneak in with a nomination (and even that may not matter much) there's really no reason for people to watch the show this year.Well, other than Billy Crystal. :)

War Horse, Hugo, and even Dragon Tattoo all have elements friendly to wide audiences.

Tron had a solid marketing campaign. Tintin...I can't even begin to describe how awful Paramount has handled the film. Shame, too, because its quite good for the mo-cap animation genre.Then again, they probably saved some money by cutting back on the marketing...which might in turn help decide its fate when it comes to profitability. Still, chances of seeing that sequel aren't too good...and that kinda sucks, because this might have been the last best hope for mo-cap animated films.

yeah, but Tin Tin did have two huge names behind it.

yeah, but they don't look like they will break out. Hugo is a flat out financial failure. No other way to describe it

I know. What I was saying is mainstream appeal is not the sole reason last year's Oscar contenders broke out. Because this year we have quite a few that SHOULD appeal to a relatively wide audience, but they're not.

I know. What I was saying is mainstream appeal is not the sole reason last year's Oscar contenders broke out. Because this year we have quite a few that SHOULD appeal to a relatively wide audience, but they're not.

well I hear Dragon Tattoo is a very dark depressing film and it is also based on a book so I don't see why it would break out. War Horse looks rather cheesy and ham fisted from the trailers IMHO so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't break out. Hugo I am indeed confused why it is not doing better. I agree that there is a box office slump in general and maybe more people would check films like these out in a good box office year like 2009 or 2002 for instance

I don't think Jackson is a big name at all and Speilberg's name has been way overused this year.

He's a big name. I have no doubt that people know who he is. But that doesn't mean people are going to show up to everything he does outside of Tolkien. Same with Spielberg. As sad as it is, a director's name only draws people if it's paired with certain material.