A Marvel Fanboy

Friday 12/23/11 Numbers

Yes 3-day. 28m is like a blockbuster opening considering the market fall down.

Well, MI4 already has money in the kitty so $28 mio weekend is good. It`s new movies that should be very very worried (considering their low PTAs which don`t bode well for legs that some desperately expect).

Don't the numbers usually get skewed today because of Christmas Eve but then rebound on Christmas?

of course but none of these movies is in for some out of this world turnaround. I mena, since MI4 is far and away the most popular choice, the demand for the rest just isn`t strong. Nothing is going to Avatar all of the sudden.

Well, MI4 already has money in the kitty so $28 mio weekend is good. It`s new movies that should be very very worried (considering their low PTAs which don`t bode well for legs that some desperately expect).

In 2005 most movies increased, so let's hope they increase over 10%.

In 2005 most movies increased, so let's hope they increase over 10%.

Why would 2011 be comparable to 2005? And even with 10% increase, there will be no breakouts. That ship has sailed. Only MI4 can be called one given the anti-Cruse sentiment in years prior to its release.

That's true. I'm just happy that MI:4 appears to be the film that will win the holidays. If you told me that about a year or so ago it wouldn't have been my choice, but I'm such a fan of Brad Bird and that he's made a successful leap over to live action.

Why would 2011 be comparable to 2005? And even with 10% increase, there will be no breakouts. That ship has sailed. Only MI4 can be called one given the anti-Cruse sentiment in years prior to its release.

Because the dates are the same. The 24th was on saturday like this year.

Regarding DT, I wonder just how much the sex/rape scenes are keeping people away. I've spoken to a few friends who were thinking of seeing this but decided against it because of how graphic they heard things were.

Rape isn`t in the trailers or is it? Either way, this isn`t a four quadrant. Even if it manages an Oscar nom, it won`t draw anyone but certain demographics.What keeps people away is that book obviously isn`t as cared for as previously thought, no stars, festive season that favors lighter movies, 3 hours of tedium and depression.

Next weekend could 30 % more than this weekend.

For everything. Look, Salander didn`t break out. Check the PTA. It`s pretty damn low even though it`s playing in fewer cinemas than MI4 and SH2. So I doubt that itl`l keep full theater and screen count after holidays. There are no signs of Slumdog legs or run or whatever. Plain and simple, the thing got overhyped, expectations got out of hand and so did the budget. Now reality kicked in. Internet hipster chicks swear by Salander. The rest of the world swears by Bella.