Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

Tbh, way too many great films don't get nominated for BP. The Witch won't. 10 Cloverfield Lane won't. Kubo won't. Deepwater Horizon won't. The Shallows won't. Lights Out won't. War Dogs won't. Snowden won't.

I finished watching The Witch last night.

MY EYES! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST WATCH?!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It was more of a family drama with a pissed off goat.

Also not enough scenes with the Witch.

The movie was complete and pure terror throughout.  Every single scene had a sense of dread to it.  It didn't need every single scene to be with the fucking witch.

• Like 5

On December 1, 2016 at 5:53 PM, That One Guy said:

Tbh, way too many great films don't get nominated for BP.  The Witch won't.  10 Cloverfield Lane won't.  Kubo won't.  Deepwater Horizon won't.  The Shallows won't.  Lights Out won't.  War Dogs won't.  Snowden won't.

Popstar, Girl on the Train and Sausage Party won't :ph34r:.

I can't believe you mentioned LO as a BP worthy movie, and TC2 don't. And it's easier a YA movie get a BP nominatio than a horror movie get a nomination, no matter how good they are.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I can't believe you mentioned LO as a BP worthy movie, and TC2 don't. And it's easier a YA movie get a BP nominatio than a horror movie get a nomination, no matter how good they are.

Haven't seen Conjuring 2.  Lights Out was just absolute pure fun and terror.  I loved it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, That One Guy said:

The movie was complete and pure terror throughout.  Every single scene had a sense of dread to it.  It didn't need every single scene to be with the fucking witch.

Thought the film did a terrific job of immersing the viewer in the time and place.  Great period detail.

• Like 1

The sequence is an appropriate opening salvo for a film that’s primarily about the idea of its own miraculous existence, an early-aughts Gap ad blown up into a grand scale as a diverse flash mob of struggling actors clad in solid colors deliver a hollow vocal performance about the glorious “Technicolor world” of the movies (this one in particular).

:rotfl:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/la-la-land

Spoiler

Don't worry. If I see this movie, I'll come in with an open mind.

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This opens here on the 16th and won't wait until the 25th, thank god. Is it wrong that I'm much more excited for this than Rogue One? Like, my manhood should be taken from me or something?

If that's wrong I don't wanna be right.

• Like 1

This won't be the last bad review the movie will get but yeah Slant is pretty much "Contrarian: the Magazine". If there's a blockbuster/oscar movie/indie or even a foreign film with overwhelming response, Slant will find someone who hated it enough to write an article about why it sucks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JennaJ said:

This movie has 96% on RT, only three negative reviews, and two of those three negatives are from Slant.com.

Slant, indeed! Did this movie kill their dog?

I just went and looked over the reviews. The first rotten review is an incomprehensible mess, the last two are from Slant, one in Sept and one today (why do they get more than one?).

No matter how good LLL is it was always going to get a few bad reviews since not everyone likes musicals, but reading some of the other reviews it seems like LLL has swayed even a few of the critics who don't normally like musicals to gush over it.

At least LLL is still 100% among Top Critics at 11-0.:D

Is having special screenings hosted by celebrities a new trend or has it been around a while and I just never noticed before?

From what I can recall there have been special screenings of La La Land hosted by Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Lorne Michaels , Eddie Redmayne and last night the host for a screening was Anjelica Huston.

cd5cf9518922715.jpg

Edited by Incarnadine

41 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's been happening for a while. it used to be to help smaller films out (like i remember julia roberts was hosting screenings for biutiful) but now i guess they just do it for everything.

Well I think it is as old as the Oscars really, before DVD/VHS tapes there was no other way available.