Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

"Some language". As in if there were no "damn"s and "shit"s, this would be a PG movie.

It didn't stop them from giving We Bought a Zoo the PG rating :lol:

I do agree they should have just gone with a PG if some profanity is the only reason for a PG-13. With zero family-friendly competition other than LEGO Batman between New Year's and the Oscars ceremony, it could have drawn in a new audience alongside the typical adult crowd that flocks to Oscar contenders during Jan-Feb. And we'd likely have our first PG-rated Best Picture winner since Driving Miss Daisy. 

1 minute ago, mahnamahna said:

It didn't stop them from giving We Bought a Zoo the PG rating :lol:

I do agree they should have just gone with a PG if some profanity is the only reason for a PG-13. With zero family-friendly competition other than LEGO Batman between New Year's and the Oscars ceremony, it could have drawn in a new audience alongside the typical adult crowd that flocks to Oscar contenders during Jan-Feb. And we'd likely have our first PG-rated Best Picture winner since Driving Miss Daisy. 

From the trailers, this really doesn't strike me as something kids would like. They'd probably find it boring. Heck, I think lots of 30-year-olds are going to find this movie boring.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

"some language" makes it sound like it contains a language they don't understand or know what it is so they gave it the rating just to be safe.

Gosling recites a poem in Klingon. Clearly it sounded like swearing to the MPAA.

• Like 6

Isn't it a thing where studios will actually push for a movie to get a more adult rating than the one it might have otherwise gotten, in order to get across that the movie is "mature" even though in contains no profanity/sex/nudity/violence etc., or simply to not confuse the audience? I think that's the only real reason There Will Be Blood got an R instead of PG-13 (or even PG), they just didn't want teenagers wandering in. Maybe this got PG-13 because they feel that's their audience even though it would have probably been G in 1960s.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

From the trailers, this really doesn't strike me as something kids would like. They'd probably find it boring. Heck, I think lots of 30-year-olds are going to find this movie boring.

I guess I'm thinking of Life of Pi and Hugo - two PG-rated films with minimal kid appeal. I don't think many kids enjoyed either one of those, yet they still contended for the bigger Oscars. I don't think the PG-13 will hurt it, but the weak rating reason makes it seem as if the film didn't need to go higher than a PG. 

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

Isn't it a thing where studios will actually push for a movie to get a more adult rating than the one it might have otherwise gotten, in order to get across that the movie is "mature" even though in contains no profanity/sex/nudity/violence etc., or simply to not confuse the audience? I think that's the only real reason There Will Be Blood got an R instead of PG-13 (or even PG), they just didn't want teenagers wandering in. Maybe this got PG-13 because they feel that's their audience even though it would have probably been G in 1960s.

I also think it happens with most PG-rated, family-friendly films. 

Hence, why Minions, Despicable Me 1/2, Secret Life of Pets, Finding Dory, Tangled, Frozen, Wreck-it Ralph and some others get a PG instead of the G they would have received if they'd been released prior to 2001/2002. And why parents get upset about Rango, Coraline and HTTYD2 being rated PG when all three of those actually warrant something higher than a G. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

I guess I'm thinking of Life of Pi and Hugo - two PG-rated films with minimal kid appeal. I don't think many kids enjoyed either one of those, yet they still contended for the bigger Oscars. I don't think the PG-13 will hurt it, but the weak rating reason makes it seem as if the film didn't need to go higher than a PG. 

Yeah, but those movies starred young people. It would be kind of weird to have a PG movie that only featured adults, even if that's the kind of movies that were made in the past.

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

If it's a live-action movie that doesn't have prominent kid's roles, it's at least PG-13. End of story.

Although since this is supposed to be a throwback, it would cool as a novelty if they could have literally released this movie as "G".

I don't think it even has to do with kid's roles (does Oz the Great and Powerful star any kids? Does The Muppets?) as much as with genre. If it's a fantasy, an adventure, or otherwise conventionally "family-friendly" it can get a PG. If La La Land were purely an old-fashioned inoffensive precious musical, it might have gotten a PG, but since it also has the relationship drama element they probably decided they don't wanna confuse the audience, even though technically nothing in the film absolutely warrants a PG-13. ("Some language" is the weakest excuse possible). Makes sense, though personally I'm not sure it benefits the movie all that much, it shouldn't be PG-13 just because it feels like it should. I remember from experience that just because a movie's subject matter doesn't seem to be for kids doesn't mean a kid can't get something out of it. Would have been neat if a PG actually encouraged some of them to go check this out. Adults who are interested would all go see it in any case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

(does Oz the Great and Powerful star any kids? Does The Muppets?)

Both come from properties that are intended for kids in some way.

Anyways, even if La La Land was rated PG, I'm not sure if it would be popular on CJohn's 2am turf. Parents who want to take their kids will do so anyways. A PG rating might help a precocious 10 year old talk his parents into taking him to it, though.

Just now, cannastop said:

Both come from properties that are intended for kids in some way.

Anyways, even if La La Land was rated PG, I'm not sure if it would be popular on CJohn's 2am turf. Parents who want to take their kids will do so anyways. A PG rating might help a precocious 10 year old talk his parents into taking him to it, though.

Nice burn @CJohn

Less than 9 hours until the screening. :OMG:

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Already topped $100K in advance sales at the Archlight alone. Coming to kick ass and take names.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/office-christmas-party-la-la-land-moana-weekend-box-office-1201865842/

Isn't that where the film would perform strongest anyhow?

I'm sure the LA and NY crowds will love it, but will Middle America want to watch emaciated Emma Stone singing?