Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

So is the movie set in modern times, or is it set further in the past, like the 1950s?

in modern times, with characters using iPhone and stuff, all contemporary. but it has the timeless vibe to it as if it's from any era, but mostly it's an homage to the 50s-60s classics.

2 minutes ago, yjs said:

can you imagine a Miles Teller version of the scene where

Hide contents

Sebastian just rudely passed over Mia after he got fired

that would have been soooooo painfully douchebagary  

this is the second movie I liked Ryan Gosling in this year.  The first was Nice Guys.  He is good at playing likable but imperfect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trifle said:

This movie is sheer fun and beautiful.  Having grown up in the Hollywood Hills, where a lot of it was filmed, didn't hurt.

I was mere a tourist in LA somewhat recently and even I felt nostalgic for some sceneries. 

that Griffith observatory scene tho, it didn't add up. there were precisely 2 million people when I got there....

• Like 1

Just now, trifle said:

this is the second movie I liked Ryan Gosling in this year.  The first was Nice Guys.  He is good at playing likable but imperfect.

yeah, I totally agree. I think his own persona really makes those imperfect characters much more bearable and even likable.

Oscar Isaac comes close for that feat in my mind. If it weren't for him I would've despised the character Llewyn Davis so much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yjs said:

I was mere a tourist in LA somewhat recently and even I felt nostalgic for some sceneries. 

Hide contents

that Griffith observatory scene tho, it didn't add up. there were precisely 2 million people when I got there....

Lol!  true.

Spoiler

But once they broke in at night and the other time was not in summer, so crowds would be lower, and they weren't in front of the Observatory, but on one of the paths.  I'll suspend disbelief!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yjs said:

yeah, I totally agree. I think his own persona really makes those imperfect characters much more bearable and even likable.

Oscar Isaac comes close for that feat in my mind. If it weren't for him I would've despised the character Llewyn Davis so much.

I like him, as well.  But Miles Teller would not have been right for this movie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We almost had Eddie Redmayne in this too and thank god that didn't happen. Not a fan.

yikes. I have no problems with him but no Eddie for this role. No offense but it would've felt kinda shrill.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Incarnadine said:

There's already one pic from the movie that is already well on its way to becoming iconic. There are already so many versions of this shot already...

8b7c3d519518414.jpg 1d6bb8519518415.jpg

That scene is gonna become one of those scenes that is featured in every famous movie montage.

It's so rare that you come out of a movie thinking that you've just witnessed the birth of a classic, but in this case, it's completely justified.

36 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm gonna assume this is a typo and that you meant to write "good" instead. :lol:

And yes, you bet your ass it is. It's the perfect date movie.

Nah, I meant hood. Me and my home dawgs from da hood are gonna go see this.

Ugh that was painful to write. Anyways, I'll probably go see this along with Passengers for a date night double feature