Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

8 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I agree with the general sentiment: if Lala Land is the first time in 2016 that you experienced joy at the cinema, either you have a very narrow definition of 'joy' or you simply equate joy at the cinema with old-Hollywood-type musicals.

As for LLL, it's weird that, as much as I enjoy musicals in general, and in spite of how charming I find Stone and Gosling, all the clips and trailers I have seen have left me absolutely cold and unmoved.

Yeah this is my problem People act like this is the 2nd coming because it's  a tribute to old hollywood movies which wasn't exactly a better time in my opinion. I'm looking forward to this but I'm surprised Ryan and Emma are getting away with their mediocre singing. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ban1o said:

Yeah this is my problem People act like this is the 2nd coming because it's  a tribute to old hollywood movies which wasn't exactly a better time in my opinion. I'm looking forward to this but I'm surprised Ryan and Emma are getting away with their mediocre singing. 

Spoiler

Gosling's character posing as the parangon of jazz purity and supposed former (elitist) glory against his fellow black musicians (that are supposed to represent the populist mediocrity of contemporary music crystallized into his musical anti-thesis portrayed as a sell-out which is John Legend's character in a jest). Seriously? Whitesplaining a black music in 2016? GTFO with this shit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Spoiler

Gosling's character posing as the parangon of jazz purity against his fellow black musicians (that are supposed to represent the populist mediocrity of contemporary music crystallized into his musical anti-thesis portrayed as a sell-out which is John Legend's character in a jest). Seriously, GTFO with this shit.

Spoiler

really? Is this what it's about? Interesting....Are ALL the other musicians he works with black or is it just John lol? I already know Damien Chazelle is loves portraying jazz music through a white lens from Whiplash (which I did enjoy lol) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ban1o said:
Spoiler

really? Is this what it's about? Interesting....Are ALL the other musicians he works with black or is it just John lol? I already know Damien Chazelle is loves portraying jazz music through a white lens from Whiplash (which I did enjoy lol) 

Spoiler

Yes, at point in the movie Gosling's character lectures John Legend's about what is the true essence of jazz music, or something, about why everything sucks nowadays because Legend's represents the debasement of an once great music blablabla. (Gosling stars as a solo pianist but at one point, Gosling is invited to play piano along his musical nemesis Legend and his all-black band in the movie). I think the movie tries to portray Gosling as a pompous elitist asshole but still the gal and insensitivity that takes to frame the conflict and ethos like this when you know the racial implications behind and the history of jazz music, he's still the main character we're supposed to root for.

• Like 3

Spoiler

Yes, at point in the movie Gosling's character lectures John Legend's about what is the true essence of jazz music, or something, about why everything sucks nowadays because Legend's represents the debasement of an once great music blablabla. (Gosling stars as a solo pianist but at one point, Gosling is invited to play piano along his musical nemesis Legend and his all-black band in the movie). I think the movie tries to portray Gosling as a pompous elitist asshole but still the gal and insensitivity that takes to frame the conflict and ethos like this when you know the racial implications behind and the history of jazz music, he's still the main character we're supposed to root for.

Spoiler

lol "true essence" of jazz music. That shit sound hilarious. SMH the gentrification of jazz music is legit what killed the genre lol. But I guess we're supposed to view Gosling as an elitist asshole. 

• Like 1

I was very charmed when I checked that this had a pretty strong OW in South Korea last week, that being the only major market it's playing in wide so far (and one of only 2 major markets it's in, period).

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to believe this movie has explosion potential. Maybe not American Sniper/Revenant numbers, but it could go places if Lionsgate doesn't fuck it up for once.

Spoiler

Jeez, sounds a bit rough. Still very excited to see it, but I can already tell this is gonna annoy me.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yuck.

Thanks for this.

Like I said, the cliops I have seen have not moved me in the least, and I was confused, because I am certainly a fan of musicals.

Maybe it was Stone and Gosling's less-than-stellar singing or maybe it was the overall...pedestrian feeling of what I saw (in my opinion), but I definitely have no intention of watching it now. Hollywood always does this kind of shit in regards to whites being the saviors, the heroes, the virtuous standards that everyone should strive for. 

No wonder Hollywood itself is so enamored of this film.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Cochofles said:
Spoiler

Yuck.

Thanks for this.

Like I said, the cliops I have seen have not moved me in the least, and I was confused, because I am certainly a fan of musicals.

Maybe it was Stone and Gosling's less-than-stellar singing or maybe it was the overall...pedestrian feeling of what I saw (in my opinion), but I definitely have no intention of watching it now. Hollywood always does this kind of shit in regards to whites being the saviors, the heroes, the virtuous standards that everyone should strive for. 

No wonder Hollywood itself is so enamored of this film.

Spoiler

The movie is kinda lightly mocking that trope of the Gosling character tho. And then the Gosling character grows out of that white douche phase later too. I think one of the Chazelle's strengths as a director is that he never falls in love with his own characters, he rather stays stern and sober then subtely makes fun of them.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, yjs said:
Spoiler

The movie is kinda lightly mocking that trope of the Gosling character tho. And then the Gosling character grows out of that white douche phase later too. 

Spoiler

"kinda lightly" is right. And unless I missed something, there isn't anything that shows he grew out of that phase.

His ending

was a purist's dream come true, wasn't it? With an extra helping of white saviour coming to the rescue of all those unfortunate classic jazz black musicians who would probably be underemployed and underappreciated if it weren't for him giving them a magical new platform! :rolleyes:

• Like 2