CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

There's a long and glorious tradition of horror film directors directing big superhero films*. Maybe WB should continue the tradition here with Flanagan.

*Richard Donner; Guillermo del Toro; Sam Raimi; Zack Snyder; James Gunn; Ruben Fleischer; James Wan; David F. Sandberg; Nia DaCosta; Andy Muschietti.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 35MM-18 said:

There's a long and glorious tradition of horror film directors directing big superhero films*. Maybe WB should continue the tradition here with Flanagan.

*Richard Donner; Guillermo del Toro; Sam Raimi; Zack Snyder; James Gunn; Ruben Fleischer; James Wan; David F. Sandberg; Nia DaCosta; Andy Muschietti.

Flanagan is one of my favorite directors. He bring real emotion to his projects and his characters are actually layered and well developed...so why not?

On 12/22/2020 at 12:39 PM, cax16 said:

I won’t believe anything’s happening until something official is announced and even then I’ll be skeptical till production starts. 

THIS. All we have heard so far is just rumor and gossip. I will belive Cavill is back when I see the offical WB announcment.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TestPattern said:

I wouldn't exactly be said if they use this as a chance to get a new, younger Superman in Reeves' Universe

I'm sure that Cavill will end up being recasted like Affleck, but in other circumstances. And I also think that JJ is already hired for this one and WB will slowly build another universe on the same one as Battinson and maybe give us the BvS we all deserve.

Cavill is a legit draw in the role and there will be serious backlash if he does not return, especially after it widely shared on the internet that he was returning last year. 

They need to pay up. 

It's not about money only. Apparently he's asking for a high position in the production of the movie because he didn't liked what happened with the character in the past movies and WB is refusing to give him this kind of control and let's be honest they right. He's not even agreeing with the cameos.

This needs to move on and if he doesn't agree: bye. Just build another version with Michael B Jordan as Calvin Ellis on the same universe as Battinson and let's go.

Man of Steel will be turning 10 in less than 2.5 years and Cavill will be turning 40 around the same time. If they don't get something off the ground soon they'll likely just do a soft reboot or something along those lines with a younger up-and-coming actor.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Man of Steel will be turning 10 in less than 2.5 years and Cavill will be turning 40 around the same time. If they don't get something off the ground soon they'll likely just do a soft reboot or something along those lines with a younger up-and-coming actor.

Like I said a few posts ago, I feel like a new Superman movie will be part of the 2023 calendar. We just need to see if it's a sequel with Cavill or a soft reboot with another actor.

7 minutes ago, belblazer said:

Yeah. The Flash and Shazam 2 casting news will soon start as both productions starts in April, so let's see at least if the cameos happen...

Yup, that’s when we’ll really find out what’s going on. I think we should hear some stuff at the AT&T investors call at the end of the month(hoping for some announcements). 

10 minutes ago, belblazer said:

It's not about money only. Apparently he's asking for a high position in the production of the movie because he didn't liked what happened with the character in the past movies and WB is refusing to give him this kind of control and let's be honest they right. He's not even agreeing with the cameos.

This needs to move on and if he doesn't agree: bye. Just build another version with Michael B Jordan as Calvin Ellis on the same universe as Battinson and let's go.

If they were to do a new Superman in the Matt Reeves universe, I would want to see Bruce Wayne interact with Clark Kent before bringing in Calvin Ellis. 

To beginning, Michael B Jordan is a terrible idea.

The notion was that Cavill was asking for an executive producer credit and having an opinion on the film's production. 

Gal and Margott had this so why not Henry? The fact that Gal was in the first universally praised DCEU film that overperformed doesn't mean that she deserves more. It was Patty's movie after all.

Henry has been fucked up many times before. After the JL fiasco who can blame the guy? The caricature version of his face was everywhere. And had it not been for The Witcher his career would be severely damaged.

Now he is in an all time high and keeps on rising. He has millions of fans across different fandoms and target groups and is very well liked.

When someone like this tells you "Hey I have this awesome idea that I have worked on with this awesome director who get this...also wants to helm the film" you shut up and you listen. 

IMO, Hamada is acting like a businessman trying to make the most profit out of the least expenses. Understandable but if you want someone like Henry to star in multiple movies and make cameos then pay up. Not an unreasonable amount but it should surely be in the 8 digit area.

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

To beginning, Michael B Jordan is a terrible idea.

The notion was that Cavill was asking for an executive producer credit and having an opinion on the film's production. 

Gal and Margott had this so why not Henry? The fact that Gal was in the first universally praised DCEU film that overperformed doesn't mean that she deserves more. It was Patty's movie after all.

Henry has been fucked up many times before. After the JL fiasco who can blame the guy? The caricature version of his face was everywhere. And had it not been for The Witcher his career would be severely damaged.

Now he is in an all time high and keeps on rising. He has millions of fans across different fandoms and target groups and is very well liked.

When someone like this tells you "Hey I have this awesome idea that I have worked on with this awesome director who get this...also wants to helm the film" you shut up and you listen. 

IMO, Hamada is acting like a businessman trying to make the most profit out of the least expenses. Understandable but if you want someone like Henry to star in multiple movies and make cameos then pay up. Not an unreasonable amount but it should surely be in the 8 digit area.

To be fair, it’s just rumours going around that he isn’t happy about the cameos thing, I’ve heard others say that’s all he can really do at the moment cause of his filming commitment to Witcher over the next year or two.

Also, what gives me at least a little bit of hope is he doesn’t have much lined up besides the Witcher now, but we’ll see what happens. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

To be fair, it’s just rumours going around that he isn’t happy about the cameos thing, I’ve heard others say that’s all he can really do at the moment cause of his filming commitment to Witcher over the next year or two.

Also, what gives me at least a little bit of hope is he doesn’t have much lined up besides the Witcher now, but we’ll see what happens. 

Henry has said that he can do at least one movie in between filming the witcher. Last time, his role as Sherlock Holmes was announced right after the first season of The Witcher wrapped. So who knows?

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Assuming Henry Cavill wants to get a producer’s credit on a possible upcoming Superman film, they might as well let him have it. The man is a noticeably bigger star now than he was from 2013-2017, so I think he has enough clout for that at this point. 

For what is worth now he has a big following in an audience that is a tough cookie  to crack...and that the gamers/nerds. They literally worship him. He is only second to Keeanu Reeves.

The guy can really play to a very wide audience right now. And has appeal across multiple different target groups.