CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Here's something I can tell you - WB Discovery didn't want to do SDCC this year for DC because of the entire company leadership being in flux post the merger. But The Rock gets what The Rock wants. Which is why we got the bare minimum with the New Line properties. 

Ya I assumed this tbh. Since we don’t really know who’s gonna be running  dc studios I assume they want that to happen first before we see anymore announcements, wether it’s Hamada or whoever else they choose. 

Edited by cax16

Haven't the slightest idea why fans keep insisting Warners is in the wrong regarding Cavill. They most certainly are not.

People vote with their wallets and Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Justice League all failed to meet financial expectations nor were they received positively by audiences/critics.

Cavill just never took off in the public's eyes as Superman, and he refused to come back unless he got paid the fee he felt he was owed. Hence how he bailed on the Shazam cameo at the zero hour.

Sincerely hope fans finally clue in on the obvious and accept the reality that is staring them blankly in their faces.

But... they won't.

9 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Haven't the slightest idea why fans keep insisting Warners is in the wrong regarding Cavill. They most certainly are not.

People vote with their wallets and Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Justice League all failed to meet financial expectations nor were they received positively by audiences/critics.

Cavill just never took off in the public's eyes as Superman, and he refused to come back unless he got paid the fee he felt he was owed. Hence how he bailed on the Shazam cameo at the zero hour.

Sincerely hope fans finally clue in on the obvious and accept the reality that is staring them blankly in their faces.

But... they won't.

then why don’t they just recast and make a new movie with a new actor?  No, I think WB simply has no clue what to do with the character outside faceless cameos 

Edited by John Marston

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

then why don’t they just recast and make a new movie with a new actor?  No, I think WB simply has no clue what to do with the character outside faceless cameos 

Why would any actor want to take over playing the same version of Superman as Cavill when his take/films didn't work?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

They have no clue what they're doing as a company right now, overall, or what DC characters on screen will be doing overall, so the pause in PR makes sense...as mentioned by Grim above.  

Man of Steel did better relative to its production budget than Batman Begins did and it also had the stink of Superman returns to deal with like the BB did with B&R, BvS and JL failed cause Snyder/the scrip were just ass and WB greedily wanting to do event films like marvel without proper buildup like marvel.

The simple solution would just be to get some new director in their (McQuarrie who actually pitched or maybe Vaughn/Kosinski) and let them reboot the character with Cavill like Taika did with Hemsworth

16 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Why would any actor want to take over playing the same version of Superman as Cavill when his take/films didn't work?

really? Are you telling me there is no actor, especially an up and coming one, would be thrilled at getting to play by version of Superman? Doubt it 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Money, Fame and with the right director any project can work, superman isn't some impossible project to succeed with it, hell MoS turned a profit and it was mixed in terms of receptions

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Man of Steel did better relative to its production budget than Batman Begins did and it also had the stink of Superman returns to deal with like the BB did with B&R, BvS and JL failed cause Snyder/the scrip were just ass and WB greedily wanting to do event films like marvel without proper buildup like marvel.

The simple solution would just be to get some new director in their (McQuarrie who actually pitched or maybe Vaughn/Kosinski) and let them reboot the character with Cavill like Taika did with Hemsworth

The big difference between Batman Begins and Man of Steel is reception, one was extremely well-liked, the other was very mixed. 

7 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

The big difference between Batman Begins and Man of Steel is reception, one was extremely well-liked, the other was very mixed. 

and yet mos did almost 3x its production budget and the plan should have been to address the stuff people didn't like from the movie in sequels and not to try and cheat Event films but alas here we are

1 hour ago, BruiseCruise said:

Here's my take on the MoS thing, it's a take I've had since 2013 prior to MoS release and you can check my comments here to see that I've been consistent on this one point.

MoS and Pacific Rim should have switched dates. That's literally all that needed to happen for a MoS2 to happen. MoS gets the July slot and the last big movie of summer legs and makes it past 300/700 which would have been enough for the sequel greenlight. Monsters University and a stronger than expected WWZ killed it on second weekend by hitting all the demos it needed and it never recovered in a loaded June.

Make that one release date swap and MoS now comes out during Comic Con, so no need to announce BvS either, you just bask in the big opening weekend instead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Here's my take on the MoS thing, it's a take I've had since 2013 prior to MoS release and you can check my comments here to see that I've been consistent on this one point.

MoS and Pacific Rim should have switched dates. That's literally all that needed to happen for a MoS2 to happen. MoS gets the July slot and the last big movie of summer legs and makes it past 300/700 which would have been enough for the sequel greenlight. Monsters University and a stronger than expected WWZ killed it on second weekend by hitting all the demos it needed and it never recovered in a loaded June.

Make that one release date swap and MoS now comes out during Comic Con, so no need to announce BvS either, you just bask in the big opening weekend instead.

Wouldn’t the bigger than expected Despicable Me 2 also hurt it opening prior?

Now that the Cavill rumor turned out to be nonsense (big surprise), I guess that means we can go back to wondering what the hell this J.J. Abrams/Coates project is supposed to be, or if it’ll even get made.

Seriously, has Ta-Nehisi Coates ever even written a movie before? I find it so perplexing that WB would get him to write a script for a Superman movie, especially when he doesn’t seem to have much interest in the character. 

4 hours ago, cax16 said:

This basically sounds like nothing is happening with cavill in the nicest way possible. 

The Rock's answer is hilarious. It's like asking someone what's 1+1 and him reciting the entirety of Fiddler on the Roof.

Edited by grim22
  • Haha 2

I'm so done with Cavill. He clearly has no interest in Superman but 12 people on Twitter swear that it's WB fault.

He said no to Shazam, Peacemaker, Snyder Cut, Black Adam, Fury of the Gods and I'm sure he will be the only one to not appear in The Flash next year. While busy actors like Viola Davis and Gal Gadot and others who film even via phone like Ezra did for the Snyder Cut, all because they love their characters.

Just recast and tell a new story with the character. He deserves it.

55 minutes ago, belblazer said:

I'm so done with Cavill. He clearly has no interest in Superman but 12 people on Twitter swear that it's WB fault.

He said no to Shazam, Peacemaker, Snyder Cut, Black Adam, Fury of the Gods and I'm sure he will be the only one to not appear in The Flash next year. While busy actors like Viola Davis and Gal Gadot and others who film even via phone like Ezra did for the Snyder Cut, all because they love their characters.

Well, it may not be quite that simple, but yes, the evidence sure seems to be evident in looking at what every other existing cast member seemed/seems willing to commit, even for small cameos.  They all seemed to work it out despite busy schedules.  So... ?  There's clearly a fork in the road between Cavill and studio brass...through multiple studio regimes over the past few years...so that says something in itself!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belblazer said:

Yeah. Snyder Cut is the big one for anyone trying to say it's because he doesn't want to return without Snyder.

That movie had to recycle Cavill from alternate takes on MoS and BvS. If ever he was going to return, it logically would have been for that since he was even involved in presenting the announcement.

If I'm in WB, I basically set September as my deadline. He agrees by September, quickly arrange a shoot to insert him for one scene in Black Adam and bring him back in, else publicly announce that Cavill is done and who is the new Superman will be either announced at the same time if an actor is ready to go or within the end of the year.

• Like 1