CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I wish they would at least tell us what the hell is going on with that Ta-Nehisi Coates project. That thing was announced over a year ago, and we’ve had practically no updates, other than some vague claims from the supposed scoopers. Is it moving forward or not?

No updates means...no successful progress.  The longer that goes on that we don't hear about it, the less likely it is to get made (as a rumor or two indeed already states!) 

And the timing of Zaslav-new-glam-Discovery-takeover is not uncoincidental.  I'm thinking he has everything in the DC-adapted feature realm (that is not already in production) currently on hold until he finds a new figurehead/leader and they come up with a new plan.  

Edited by Macleod

I also think Zasleve will play is safe with the big DC movies, and not take chances with "New and Different Takes". He might allow that on the DC TV shows and with minor chatecters, but not with the biggies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

What is baffling is that Henry obviously wants to come back so why the hesitation?

I don't know if he does, for all the posturing he says about wanting to return...he hasnt. No Snyder Cut reshoots, no cameos, nothing. If they can bring back Affleck multiple times, Cavill should be way easier since he didn't have so much emotional turmoil making those. I think he's likely being difficult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

I don't know if he does, for all the posturing he says about wanting to return...he hasnt. No Snyder Cut reshoots, no cameos, nothing. If they can bring back Affleck multiple times, Cavill should be way easier since he didn't have so much emotional turmoil making those. I think he's likely being difficult.

It has to be this, it’s obvious his team and himself are trying to get more control with the character but WB(rightfully so) isn’t giving in. I liked him as Superman a lot and would love for him to come back but as I’ve said many times The character > the actor, just get me another Superman movie already please. 

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

If the scoopers are to be believed, Cavill and his team have a specific set of demands that they want WB to accept before he comes back as Superman. Specifically, Cavill wants more money, a solo film and creative input for the character. 

I'm with Henry Cavill on this. Man Of Steel and Batman v Superman broke opening weekend records, his version of the character has mass appeal no matter how much people try to paint those movies as a financial failure. There's no reason for him to accept any contract offered to him, he should be paid what any actor who can secure an over $100m opening would. If he really loves the character he is right to try to secure a new solo film, and not sign on to just small cameos. And after what happened with the Justice League reshoots, he also deserves to demand a creative imput. Those actors signed on to work with a director who was colaborative and let them have a say in the creation of their characters, and ended up finishing the film with someone who not only didn't care for their opinion, but was also shitting on what they had built together with Snyder. Ben Affleck left, Ray Fisher refused to co-star in The Flash, and Gal Gadot secured creative control for her Wonder Woman films. Henry is not being unreasonable here. They signed on to a promise that was broken, and WB let them be subjected to disrespect and humiliation despite being the stars of one of their biggest franchises. I understand fans being frustrated over this, I'm desperate for him to return too, but he should be fighting for what he's worth financially, and for what the character deserves creatively.

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

If the scoopers are to be believed, Cavill and his team have a specific set of demands that they want WB to accept before he comes back as Superman. Specifically, Cavill wants more money, a solo film and creative input for the character. 

And all of this sounds completely reasonable.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I'm with Henry Cavill on this. Man Of Steel and Batman v Superman broke opening weekend records, his version of the character has mass appeal no matter how much people try to paint those movies as a financial failure. There's no reason for him to accept any contract offered to him, he should be paid what any actor who can secure an over $100m opening would. If he really loves the character he is right to try to secure a new solo film, and not sign on to just small cameos. And after what happened with the Justice League reshoots, he also deserves to demand a creative imput. Those actors signed on to work with a director who was colaborative and let them have a say in the creation of their characters, and ended up finishing the film with someone who not only didn't care for their opinion, but was also shitting on what they had built together with Snyder. Ben Affleck left, Ray Fisher refused to co-star in The Flash, and Gal Gadot secured creative control for her Wonder Woman films. Henry is not being unreasonable here. They signed on to a promise that was broken, and WB let them be subjected to disrespect and humiliation despite being the stars of one of their biggest franchises. I understand fans being frustrated over this, I'm desperate for him to return too, but he should be fighting for what he's worth financially, and for what the character deserves creatively.

OW records followed by record second weekend drops and non existent legs.

Only demand Cavill should have is to keep Snyder far away from Superman, which is completely reasonable since he hates the Superman character and turned Superman into a sad sack. Get a different director and the character is viable, in Snyder's hands not so much.

The guy screwed up the first meeting of Batman and Superman, takes a special talent to do that.

56 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Only demand Cavill should have is to keep Snyder far away from Superman, which is completely reasonable since he hates the Superman character and turned Superman into a sad sack. Get a different director and the character is viable, in Snyder's hands not so much.

The guy screwed up the first meeting of Batman and Superman, takes a special talent to do that.

I mean he did with with McQ and WB put out some stuff about him wanting too much control, not enough "comic book accuracy" and not being in line with dceu and they turned him down

There is a certain irony in the fact that WB apparently isn’t very keen on giving in to Cavill’s demands, even though they seemed pretty insistent on keeping Ezra Miller around, to the point where they sided with them over John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein. That just goes to show that WB really doesn’t have any faith in Superman. He’s the quintessential superhero, and he’s currently reduced to faceless cameos. 

Hell, we can’t even get a new Superman video game, unless you count him being in Multiversus. Rocksteady supposedly wanted to make a Superman game, but WB told them to make a Suicide Squad game instead.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, grim22 said:

What gets to me about the Snyder fanboys is they just don't accept that Snyder is not getting the DECU back. He was too divisive.

And Cavill does not have the kind of muscle he thinks he has.  Muscle is dependent on box office, and his last film as Supes was an box office failure.

Cavill will have a place In Superman history like Timothy Dalton in the 007 franchise..he could have been one of the greatest to play the role, but was tripped up by not ever  having a really good script to work with..

17 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

There is a certain irony in the fact that WB apparently isn’t very keen on giving in to Cavill’s demands, even though they seemed pretty insistent on keeping Ezra Miller around, to the point where they sided with them over John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein. That just goes to show that WB really doesn’t have any faith in Superman. He’s the quintessential superhero, and he’s currently reduced to faceless cameos. 

Hell, we can’t even get a new Superman video game, unless you count him being in Multiversus. Rocksteady supposedly wanted to make a Superman game, but WB told them to make a Suicide Squad game instead.

Supes is a hard charecter to write for. How do you keep from mkaing him too goody goody? What Marvel did with Cap serves as template, but it would still be tricky.

I also think the contract situation with Miller was different. They had him under contract for a certain number of films, I think Cavill's contract had been fulfilled.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Supes is a hard charecter to write for. How do you keep from mkaing him too goody goody? What Marvel did with Cap serves as template, but it would still be tricky.

I also think the contract situation with Miller was different. They had him under contract for a certain number of films, I think Cavill's contract had been fulfilled.

Miller’s contract was in danger of expiring back in 2019. 

They really should've let ezra's contract expire huh.. As for Cavill, honestly I don't think anyone is in love with his version of Superman to the point where he can make crazy demands. He's not RDJ Iron Man, heck he's not even Chris Evans Cap or Hemsworth Thor. 

On 8/1/2022 at 2:38 PM, Rebeccas said:

They really should've let ezra's contract expire huh.. As for Cavill, honestly I don't think anyone is in love with his version of Superman to the point where he can make crazy demands. He's not RDJ Iron Man, heck he's not even Chris Evans Cap or Hemsworth Thor. 

Other problem is the brining back Cavill is not a good long term solution to the problem. He is going to be to old for Supes in another couple of years and they will have to recast.

I'm OK bringing him back in a Multiverse type thing, but as the lead Superman in the DCU I think the age is a real problem for Cavill.

k

Edited by dudalb