CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

You could simply ignore them? I’m not sure what the point is in engaging in so much negativity. 

I literally have almost anyone blocked on Twitter who comes up and talks about Snyder so I do ignore them but it’s not my place to tell others what to do and because they’re so toxic I don’t feel bad when posts are shared of them looking like complete idiots. 

7 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I literally have almost anyone blocked on Twitter who comes up and talks about Snyder so I do ignore them but it’s not my place to tell others what to do and because they’re so toxic I don’t feel bad when posts are shared of them looking like complete idiots. 

From what I’ve seen, that particular tweet that was shared was in response to the controversy over Superman killing Zod. That person wasn’t arguing that Superman shouldn’t be allowed to saved the day, which is what he does in MoS anyway. Just that there’s nothing wrong with him having to make difficult decisions. 

Of course, it looks like that account has made some rather pot-stirring comments regarding DC and James Gunn, so they’re not exactly innocent, but that particular tweet seems fairly mild. 

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

From what I’ve seen, that particular tweet that was shared was in response to the controversy over Superman killing Zod. That person wasn’t arguing that Superman shouldn’t be allowed to saved the day, which is what he does in MoS anyway. Just that there’s nothing wrong with him having to make difficult decisions. 

Of course, it looks like that account has made some rather pot-stirring comments regarding DC and James Gunn, so they’re not exactly innocent, but that particular tweet seems fairly mild. 

I don’t even look into this stuff, I’ve seen that name before and know they’re an idiot so I have no doubts they’ve said a bunch of stupid things about Gunn/DC so again, I ignore most of the stuff and just laugh at other stuff I see shared here or on twitter without having to engage with any of them. 

Edited by cax16

Two things can be true, IMO:

1. The Snyderverse fans are a loud minority on Twitter which don't accurately represent the public perception of Superman. 

2. The public perception of Superman has been negatively affected by Snyder's take on the character. And now, Gunn will have the chance to (positively) shape it with his movie.

7 minutes ago, JWR said:

2. The public perception of Superman has been negatively affected by Snyder's take on the character. And now, Gunn will have the chance to (positively) shape it with his movie.

Did it really though? Superman has commonly been dismissed as “boring” by the general public for nearly 40 years. Despite the divisive at best reception to the Snyder films, I’m not sure how it hurt public perception of the character anymore than it already was. People like Frank Miller played a bigger role in damaging the perception of Superman. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Did it really though? Superman has commonly been dismissed as “boring” by the general public for nearly 40 years. Despite the divisive at best reception to the Snyder films, I’m not sure how it hurt public perception of the character anymore than it already was. People like Frank Miller played a bigger role in damaging the perception of Superman. 

Well, it hasn't exactly helped that perception either. If the movies were good, we might not have been in this scenario.

Edited by JWR

2 minutes ago, JWR said:

Well, it hasn't exactly helped that perception either. If the movies were good, we might not have been in this scenario.

Sure, they haven’t helped, but they weren’t the root cause of the problem. The whole purpose of MoS was to try and make the character relevant for a modern audience. It just didn’t succeed. Hopefully James Gunn will have better luck. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Sure, they haven’t helped, but they weren’t the root cause of the problem. The whole purpose of MoS was to try and make the character relevant for a modern audience. It just didn’t succeed. Hopefully James Gunn will have better luck. 

There's a difference between being the root cause and being so stuck on one particular interpretation that you refuse to accept anything else. Snyder fans have long since devolved into parody and so deserve to be humiliated for their stupidity.

I love MoS, will defend most things from that movie as well (except Pa Kent dying, that was stupid). I love the potential Cavill had as Superman which he never got to fully show off. But that doesn't mean I'm not willing to move on and see if something better happens.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There's a difference between being the root cause and being so stuck on one particular interpretation that you refuse to accept anything else. Snyder fans have long since devolved into parody and so deserve to be humiliated for their stupidity.

I love MoS, will defend most things from that movie as well (except Pa Kent dying, that was stupid). I love the potential Cavill had as Superman which he never got to fully show off. But that doesn't mean I'm not willing to move on and see if something better happens.

This is the thing a lot of people forget as well, there are many fans like you and I that love MOS but also hate how everything else was handled after.

I’ve long since moved on from Snyder, I wish his fans would be as dedicated to his Netflix movies as they are to being toxic towards Gunn and DC. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cax16 said:

This is the thing a lot of people forget as well, there are many fans like you and I that love MOS but also hate how everything else was handled after.

I’ve long since moved on from Snyder, I wish his fans would be as dedicated to his Netflix movies as they are to being toxic towards Gunn and DC. 

I think it's pretty much impossible to argue that Superman was anything more than a passenger after MoS. BvS was a Batman movie, or like 70/20/10 for Batman/Superman/Everything else and Superman was dead for most of JL (both versions). In fact the Joss JL is the closest we came to a good Superman characterization.

• Like 2

MOS is an awesome, enjoyable, and extremely flawed film. Pa Kent's death scene was absurd. For an mega expensive blockbuster, the film had like 2 jokes- 1 of which was Clark destroying a mans livelihood (even if the guy was a jerk). The 3rd act was a mess. Superman hurdles an oil tanker for it explode into a building behind him for a cool pose shot, as opposed to...stopping the oil tanker from crashing altogether. WTF did the "Codex" and "predetermined life path" have to do with anything? That was a pathetic attempt to come off as "deep" but it didn't click at all. Snyder also made the really weird choice to make Superman pale a ghost, give him an old school hairstyle, and not allow him to smile, gives Supes a very awkward presentation and energy. So bizarre.

Nolan, Goyer, and Snyder nailed the overarching concept that film is centered on, nailed the casting, and largely nailed the first 2 acts, but the 3rd act is really messy despite its incredible action scenes. Despite being extremely different than the ultra-boring Superman Returns, MOS was basically the same quality because it was devoid of the warmth and sense of humor that that film had. 

Lets hope Superman Legacy finally finds the balance.

Edited by excel1

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there's no way vin diesel hasn't asked him if he could play superman.

Bradley Cooper as Jor-el

Vin Diesel as lex Luthor

Anytime someone complains about how Clark destroyed the truck driver’s livelihood in MoS, I can’t help but feel like that’s a red flag. The man committed sexual assault, and tried to fight Clark when he asked him to leave. You actually can lose your job over that. Why would anyone other than Max Landis feel sorry for that guy? 

Anyway, that’s a big no on Vin Diesel as Lex Luthor. I think that’d actually be worse than Jesse Eisenberg. 

Edited by WittyUsername