grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

How is it a hit for Nolan ? If noting else , it seems like a flop to me , considering the hype and budget . I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Nolan like shyamalan . It' s not like inception was a huge hit and neither was batman begins or insomnia , he was just lucky with ledger's death before the dark night .

Oh and memento is trash .

Sometimes people withhold provocative opinions for a good reason. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 8

How is it a hit for Nolan ? If noting else , it seems like a flop to me , considering the hype and budget . I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Nolan like shyamalan .

Coming in 2016: Nolan directs The Happening 2.

It' s not like inception was a huge hit

check the numbers again, it was huge

• Like 5

How is it a hit for Nolan ? If noting else , it seems like a flop to me , considering the hype and budget . I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Nolan like shyamalan . It' s not like inception was a huge hit and neither was batman begins or insomnia , he was just lucky with ledger's death before the dark night .

Oh and memento is trash .

Laughable post. Nolan and Shyamlan's careers couldn't possibly be further from each other.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1

I'm fluttering on the edge of thinking that INTERSTELLAR is Nolan's worst movie.

I still want to see it a 2nd time before I truly start giving my opinion on it, but on a first viewing I'd say it's not too far off from his worst. Better than Insomnia for sure, but I think I prefer all his others. And not that that makes it bad to me because it is near the bottom. Nolan does have a pretty amazing filmography.

It's pretty much proved impossible for a live action movie to come out on top of a well-reviewed animated movie. Probably the only exception is DRAGONS 2, but I forget if it came out the same weekend as 22JS. This weekend furthers that argument.

It did, and I was disappointed by it's numbers.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 2

It's pretty much proved impossible for a live action movie to come out on top of a well-reviewed animated movie. Probably the only exception is DRAGONS 2, but I forget if it came out the same weekend as 22JS. This weekend furthers that argument.

Don't forget Kung Fu Panda 2/Hangover 2 as well. Dat DWA sequel curse. :unsure:

• Like 1

It takes away the kid audience and most parents will see the animated movie with there kids. 

• Like 1

48m is somewhat disappointing. Yes BH6 had some effect but I think it should serve as a good lesson to tell us AGAIN just how hard it is for a original movie to even come close to 100m OW, and how irrelevant the name of the director is.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

there's also scheduling; if it were Fast 6, not WWZ vs. Monster University, the result would probably be different.

and Fast 6 did beat Epic, which probably isn't qualified as "well-reviewed" animation feature?

Edited by teardropmina

48m is somewhat disappointing. Yes BH6 had some effect but I think it should serve as a good lesson to tell us AGAIN just how hard it is for a original movie to even come close to 100m OW, and how irrelevant the name of the director is.

Nolan is the reason it opened anywhere close to $50 million. It's not a cure-all, but it does matter.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 4

Nolan is the reason it opened anywhere close to $50 million. It's not a cure-all, but it does matter.

Of cause it matters, every bit matters, but it's rather irrelevant comparing to what really matters: the marketing. If the name of the director is an important role, then Interstellar should've opened higher than Inception unless Nolan actuallty got less well-known after Inception and TDKR.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1