Avatree

The IMAX General Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

They must make new screens that size because a new one is getting installed in Sydney.  The old one is gone.  The new screen will be slightly smaller then the old one.  

Yeah but is it the only one?

20 hours ago, cannastop said:

@redfirebird2008

@DeeCee

Do they even make new 60ft (18.3 meters) tall IMAX screens anymore? Outside of the one in Australia of course.

Also I can't believe the fucking nerve of IMAX to tell Japanese theaters that they can't disclose to movie goers how small their screens are.

It’s rare to see a new installation of real IMAX these days. Theater owners don’t want to pay the extra money to build them the right way. 

22 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It’s rare to see a new installation of real IMAX these days. Theater owners don’t want to pay the extra money to build them the right way. 

Glad they built a genuine one in my neck of the woods in 1999 then.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

@redfirebird2008

Another problem with building genuine IMAX screens is that they might actually be unnecessary? I think the majority of metropolitan areas in the USA have one that show mainstream movies and not special documentaries (not that documentaries aren't cool). NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Boston, Phoenix, San Francisco all have at least one.

Some of them haven't upgraded to laser though.

Edited by cannastop

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@redfirebird2008

Another problem with building genuine IMAX screens is that they might actually be unnecessary? I think the majority of metropolitan areas in the USA have one that show mainstream movies and not special documentaries (not that documentaries aren't cool). NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Boston, Phoenix, San Francisco all have at least one.

Some of them haven't upgraded to laser though.

These days you can get some pretty awesome theater brand PLF screens. There is a place in southwest Houston that features 6 screens at 85 feet wide. They are maybe 45 feet tall. It’s not 60 feet of height like the old school real IMAX screens, but still pretty badass. And 6 of them at one location, meaning people have a variety of different movies to watch on those huge screens. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

These days you can get some pretty awesome theater brand PLF screens. There is a place in southwest Houston that features 6 screens at 85 feet wide. They are maybe 45 feet tall. It’s not 60 feet of height like the old school real IMAX screens, but still pretty badass. And 6 of them at one location, meaning people have a variety of different movies to watch on those huge screens. 

hmm cool. I wonder how big the screens at Atlantic Station are. I haven't been to an IMAX or RPX there.

There's also something called Screen X but it's bullshit, in my opinion.

The Lockheed Martin IMAX in DC is shorter than 60 feet, but it still was the first in the USA.

Edited by cannastop

I saw Spidey in Dolby yesterday. Normally I go for Imax but Dolby seem way better than Liemax. Sound system was spectacular which picture was sharp and bright. Also recliner seats were great. Only negative was smaller screen. I wish they create 50% bigger screen than this and that would be awesome. Are there other PLF formats with screen sizes similar to large IMax with Dolby level sound. That would be the best combo.

I checked out Dolby as tracking Spidey I found Dolby filling out faster than even Imax. Now I understand why.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Are there other PLF formats with screen sizes similar to large IMax with Dolby level sound. That would be the best combo.

Try to find an IMAX with Laser. They upgrade the sound too.

Just try to find an IMAX screen built before 2005 or so.

Or the The TCL Chinese IMAX, which while its screen is only about 40 feet tall, is an epic experience I've heard. But being from the 1920s, its acoustics might be odd.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Yeah I don't think giant tv screens are the future.

its not a tv. Microled is used in super large displays in Times Square and Stadium displays. Its probably future of TV's(Taking over from OLED) once they figure out mass production at right sizes. I think since its design is plug and play, I see the screens getting bigger as well. You are talking about format with infinite contrast and deep blacks. However good laser projection is its no patch on display that can switch off its pixels.

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Try to find an IMAX with Laser. They upgrade the sound too.

Just try to find an IMAX screen built before 2005 or so.

Or the The TCL Chinese IMAX, which while its screen is only about 40 feet tall, is an epic experience I've heard. But being from the 1920s, its acoustics might be odd.

I am in SF Bay area. AMC Metreon is Imax Laser but its still too far from south bay plus you dont want to go to city to see a movie. All liemaxes around me suck.

I did catch Dunkirk on tech museum which is 15/70 film. Screen curves above you. My wife got motion sickness watching it and had to close her eyes :-). I enjoyed the experience but would like Lincoln Sq or Metroen type of screen.

That said Dolby is brighter and sharper than even 15/70 screen.

20 hours ago, cannastop said:

@redfirebird2008

What should we call former IMAX screens that aren't IMAX anymore? Like Fernbank near Atlanta? Are they Liemax or something else?

Something else. The Large Format Examiner website lists those type of screens based on the projector brand. LieMAX is unique to IMAX brand. 

5 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Something else. The Large Format Examiner website lists those type of screens based on the projector brand. LieMAX is unique to IMAX brand. 

Wow, I didn't realize Large Format Examiner gave out exact measurements of the screens.

My mother complained that the seats in the IMAX theater in Mall of Georgia were uncomfortable, and you know what? They were. Close together and narrow. Little leg room.

Problem is that if they installed those sofas you see in other theaters, they would make a whole lot less money. Decisions, decisions.

Have you seen an IMAX theater that gut renovated its seats?

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

My mother complained that the seats in the IMAX theater in Mall of Georgia were uncomfortable, and you know what? They were. Close together and narrow. Little leg room.

Problem is that if they installed those sofas you see in other theaters, they would make a whole lot less money. Decisions, decisions.

Have you seen an IMAX theater that gut renovated its seats?

Take a pic next time and send it to them.