Avatree

The IMAX General Discussion Thread

On 7/6/2019 at 7:37 AM, redfirebird2008 said:

Something else. The Large Format Examiner website lists those type of screens based on the projector brand. LieMAX is unique to IMAX brand. 

I don't think LieMAX is a brand. its a just a way to ridicule the small IMax screens. I am sure they won't mind calling some other screen lieMAX 🙂

That said what did the theater do. Just use the same screen but changed the projector. What is the type of new projector(Real 3D, some form of PLF projector with Dolby sound etc).

25 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I don't think LieMAX is a brand. its a just a way to ridicule the small IMax screens. I am sure they won't mind calling some other screen lieMAX 🙂

That said what did the theater do. Just use the same screen but changed the projector. What is the type of new projector(Real 3D, some form of PLF projector with Dolby sound etc).

Yes, LieMAX is just a nickname but it is specifically for smaller IMAX branded screens. 

Museum theaters that changed their projector from IMAX to something else can use the phrase “giant screen.”

I saw The Lion King in IMAX with Laser and uh.

I wasn't that impressed. I assume it actually was IMAX with laser too, because it filled the entire big screen, and the IMAX website said it was.

Maybe it's because I didn't like the movie that much. I still would prefer the 70mm stuff, but I know that's impractical.

I can say for sure at AMC, Dolby way more popular than Imax even in plexes with big Imax screens(not lie max). Picture is brighter and sound is better at Dolby despite having smaller screen. Reason why Imax popularity is not at the same level when TDK/Avatar were released bcos they were the only players and there were under 100 of them(TDK only had 63). So people used to travel long distances to watch in Imax. I remember traveling 50 miles to watch at Jordan Imax at Reading MA in mid 2000's. Now your neighborhood Plex has a Dolby then its hard to stand apart.

That said I dont see same level of demand at Regal RPX or Cinemark XD. There are others like 270 ScreenX and Samsung Onx(which uses Microled screens and so no projection). But they are in early days yet.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 4:59 AM, CloneWars said:

IMAX really exploded after TDK and Avatar, but it seems in the last few years, IMAX ha really slowed down. They had the big screen market cornered. So, what happened?

Theater brand large format screens. Easier for theater to build their own version of IMAX than to pay the IMAX Corp a bunch of royalties.

As @DeeCee mentioned, this all goes back to IMAX Corp's decision around 2008 to change the definition of what IMAX actually is. It used to mean 60 foot tall screens. Now it's more like 25-30 foot tall for many of the newer IMAX screens that were built from 2008 to now. This smaller size screen is much easier for a theater owner such as AMC or Regal to copy and create their own branded large screen, while charging a lower ticket price than IMAX. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Theater brand large format screens. Easier for theater to build their own version of IMAX than to pay the IMAX Corp a bunch of royalties.

As @DeeCee mentioned, this all goes back to IMAX Corp's decision around 2008 to change the definition of what IMAX actually is. It used to mean 60 foot tall screens. Now it's more like 25-30 foot tall for many of the newer IMAX screens that were built from 2008 to now. This smaller size screen is much easier for a theater owner such as AMC or Regal to copy and create their own branded large screen, while charging a lower ticket price than IMAX. 

Dolby is not cheaper than Imax. At most places they are at same price. Dolby is also not owned by AMC its owned by Dolby labs.

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Dolby is not cheaper than Imax. At most places they are at same price. Dolby is also not owned by AMC its owned by Dolby labs.

I'm aware of that. AMC has other premium screens that aren't Dolby Cinema. Point is AMC, Regal, any theater company can create whatever theater they want and not have to pay royalty to IMAX. AMC seems to be OK with paying royalties to IMAX/Dolby. 

Another angle that some of the theaters probably dislike with IMAX is that they force you to show a specific movie. A number of years ago, there was a Terminator movie that got released in IMAX around the same time as a Despicable Me sequel. The Terminator movie was a flop, but theater owners were forced to show it on IMAX screens. I am guessing they wished they had control of the screen to be able to put something more popular in the auditorium.