Avatree

The IMAX General Discussion Thread

hello

not sure if this is the right place to ask, but seems like the best one

im finally getting an imax relatively close by, but it looks like ticket prices are gonna be mad expensive so no way I make it my standard format

does a site that "reviews" movies on "imax" and tells us which movies are worth watching in that format exist?

thanks

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

hello

im finally getting an imax relatively close by, but it looks like ticket prices are gonna be mad expensive so no way I make it my standard format

does a site that "reviews" movies on "imax" and tells us which movies are worth watching in that format exist?

thanks

Kind of?

https://lfexaminer.com/theaters/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues

http://cinematreasures.org/

These can all help tell you about the experience in the theater.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

hello

thanks

I'm not too sure if there's particular sites but I'm a big fan of the original format and how it was used.

So buckle in for a lengthy breakdown.

There's very few 'true' IMAX films that actually release on an IMAX screen due to IMAX's diluting of the brand to sell you on watching more films in their theatre.

It's quite difficult to shoot a feature film entirely on real 65/70MM IMAX.

Hasn't been done yet, it took IMAX slapping an IMAX sticker on the digital Arri Alexa 65 (still a great digital camera) to claim a film was shot entirely on IMAX.

A lot of the theatres they've built are also only capable of expanding to the 1:90:1 ratio rather than the taller 1:43:1, again because of the dilution of the brand.

Aspect Ratio Guide

https://i.redd.it/mhmkq9vvker71.jpg

There's even the careful wording of 'IMAX certified' or 'IMAX quality' cameras now to sell you on more films that fall outside of the Arri IMAX.

Then you have formatted for IMAX which just means they uncrop/unmatte the picture no matter what you shot on. Both of these are usually only for the digital IMAX ratio (1:90:1).

It's very rare to get a digitally shot film with scenes intended for the full 1:43:1 aspect ratio. Dune is recent example where the idea of the increased height isn't a complete afterthought and hold the same genuine artistic integrity of shooting on real 65/70mm IMAX.

The 65/70mm IMAX cameras are still incredibly loud/cumbersome and basically the same ones from 2008. It makes dialogue difficult to shoot.IMAX are currently working with a bunch of filmmakers to develop a new 65/70MM IMAX camera that they're hoping will be quieter.

This is a pretty good list here of films shot on real 65/70MM IMAX (and also the digital IMAX-certified line)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_films 

The list below has every film released in IMAX, obviously a majority don't have special formatting for the screen and just release in their standard aspect ratio. But you can find the formatted for IMAX films here.

In the notes it will highlight if it was shot on something IMAX related and if/how much of the film is in one of the IMAX ratios. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_released_in_IMAX

Really your choice comes down to is the film worth the audio and visual experience for what you're cashing out. So your selection whittles down to the filmmakers and creators who are trying to create a genuine theatrical experience, and for some that will define the choice as to whether to even make a trip to the cinema let alone IMAX.

Because all the rattling on about dilution of the brand is not even important in the end. IMAX is bigger screen and bigger sound and if you're watching a film that delivers both visually and auditorily it will feel worth it, no matter what it's shot on, or whether it has expanding ratio or not. 

Films like The Batman (despite not even having an expanded ratio), Top Gun: Maverick, Nope (Shot on real 65/70MM and expands to full 1:43:1), Avatar the Way of Water were defining IMAX experiences for me last year and delivered on the experience. 

Whereas I also went to see Doctor Strange on IMAX because it was directed by my boi Sam Raimi and even though it was visually more competent than you average Marvel film, I didn't find it to be demanding of the IMAX experience. The Marvel sound mix and visual style seems increasingly more for TV than the theatres for me and the increased ratio is such an afterthought I find it hurts the cinematic nature of the film more than enhance it. 

This is where dilution of the brand comes back into play a little bit because IMAX will tell you that both Ant Man and the Wasp: Qauntamania and Interstellar are both shot on IMAX. But you put the two side by side and the visual difference is astounding.

This year I imagine that Mission Impossible, Oppenheimer and Dune will the most demanding of a big screen experience. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2014 at 8:55 PM, RthMav said:

Prasads Imax Hyderbad India                                 95ft x72 (6840) (one of the highest grossing cinemas in the world)

does anyone know what happened to this theater? Did it get decommissioned from IMAX?

39 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Metreon was simply glorious. I wish it is not in SF city. Had it been in some suburbs I would see every big movie over there. 

The Metreon is kind of hard to get to from the Caltrain service.

It's somewhat accessible by BART though. Exiting at Powell

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The Metreon is kind of hard to get to from the Caltrain service.

It's somewhat accessible by BART though. Exiting at Powell

I parked at Daly City Bart which was free during weekend and took bart to Powell Station. It was ok for one movie but not something I want to do it normally. Overall it took me 6-7 hours Door to Door. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I parked at Daly City Bart which was free during weekend and took bart to Powell Station. It was ok for one movie but not something I want to do it normally. Overall it took me 6-7 hours Door to Door. 

oh man... that sounds like an ordeal.

But I had a thing with public transit too to get to my Mall of Georgia, which is in a very far away suburb of Atlanta. Took me about 3 hours one way, with walking transit and riding in my mom's car.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:52 AM, cannastop said:

Yes. They only announced it yesterday. First film was Avatar 2. Oppenheimer is screening. 

• Like 1

Ooh if anyone is in Melbourne this seems really cool

https://imaxmelbourne.com.au/movie/best-biggest-imax-film-festival

Across Jan and Feb, we'll be showing: 
- Our 1570 OPPENHEIMER Presentation
- Opening Night Gala BLADE RUNNER & BLADE RUNNER 2049 - DOUBLE FEATURE 
- TRON: LEGACY 3D
- THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY - 1570 FILM
- TOP GUN & TOP GUN MAVERICK - DOUBLE FEATURE
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY