The Stingray

BOF's Top 25 Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century | COUNTDOWN

OK somebody help me with Sunshine. I don't understand why it's in a top 25 list. There were a number of films I saw on people's list's that I had not seen. So I gathered up the repeat offenders and started viewing. I don't get Sunshine as a top 25. I'm not saying it's a bad film. It's just completely devoid of anything original or exceptional. It's very competent film. It does have some nice visuals and cinematography but what else? 

The characters have zero development. The story premise is old hat to me. Practically the same as something like "The Core".  There are no real interesting concepts or theories. There's no great reveal or twist. The antagonist, Mark Strong is totally wasted in this film. Could have been any actor in hamburger patty makeup. Not to mention the the whole 3rd act is a total mess. It went from slow and deliberate to a slasher film? 

I don't see anything here that is ground breaking or worthy of emulation. The acting was flatlined. No fault of the actors. There's just nothing to chew on. The only conflict is Mr. Crispy showing up to stab everyone. By the way, did the "sun" give Mr. Crispy super human strength? Maybe it's a Darkman thing. No nerves left to feel the muscle fatigue? Bleh. 

I could go on and on about what's NOT special about Sunshine but I'm not trying to just Mitch about it. Please if you like it tell me what I'm missing cause I just don't see it.

OK somebody help me with Sunshine. I don't understand why it's in a top 25 list. There were a number of films I saw on people's list's that I had not seen. So I gathered up the repeat offenders and started viewing. I don't get Sunshine as a top 25. I'm not saying it's a bad film. It's just completely devoid of anything original or exceptional. It's very competent film. It does have some nice visuals and cinematography but what else? 

The characters have zero development. The story premise is old hat to me. Practically the same as something like "The Core".  There are no real interesting concepts or theories. There's no great reveal or twist. The antagonist, Mark Strong is totally wasted in this film. Could have been any actor in hamburger patty makeup. Not to mention the the whole 3rd act is a total mess. It went from slow and deliberate to a slasher film? 

I don't see anything here that is ground breaking or worthy of emulation. The acting was flatlined. No fault of the actors. There's just nothing to chew on. The only conflict is Mr. Crispy showing up to stab everyone. By the way, did the "sun" give Mr. Crispy super human strength? Maybe it's a Darkman thing. No nerves left to feel the muscle fatigue? Bleh. 

I could go on and on about what's NOT special about Sunshine but I'm not trying to just Mitch about it. Please if you like it tell me what I'm missing cause I just don't see it.

I liked but since 2000 there hasn't been lot of good sci-fi movie. 

• Like 1

I liked but since 2000 there hasn't been lot of good sci-fi movie. 

Yeah it's not like there's a lot of groundbreaking, exceptional sci-fi movies since 2000.  Sunshine is a solid film that isn't terrible or boring, thus it makes my list.  It seems like most people downgrade it because of the sudden change in tone in the 3rd act.  Since it didn't bother me when I viewed it other than an initial 'wtf is going on here', I didn't lower it on my list.

• Like 1

All right list, but Cloud Atlas.  What a mess of a film. And I forgot about the HG films.  CF would have been on mine.

Frequency I can tell didn't make it. Please check it out if you haven't seen it.  It's fantastic!

Minority Report for the surprise win!

Ah, ok, I was trying to track down if it was just a limited release or not.  How weird to not release it wide considering the budget.

It was a U.K. production, so Fox couldn't care less how much it made. Hence why they dumped it.

Edited by Pokearcher

I wish we could have used 2014 movies as well. I feel like Interstellar and Edge of Tomorrow would have made the list. Maybe Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, but I haven't seen that yet.

If we could have used 2014 I would have added interstellar, Dawn of the planet, guardians (if we were willing to say it was more sci fi than franchise), and probably edge of tomorrow

I'm hoping eternal sunshine can manage to win, that or children of men.

Eternal Sunshine be #1 would be fantastic.

Although knowing how these lists usually go, it'll probably be Inception or something.

Edited by Pokearcher