Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

I don't know why people think this won't get a better multiplier than CF seeing how this is opening way under CF.

How high or low it opens doesn't mean much for its legs, especially since there isn't any reason for it to be opening this low except for a decrease in interest (And time isn't going to increase that interest).  Catching Fire had glowing WoM, Mockingjay Part 1 isn't getting close to that reception.  There also isn't much to the movie that'll make people excited, it's kind of like filling up the tank and getting it ready to run.  It is all build uo.

MJ1: its not a "terrible" movie, I'd rather watch it 100x versus watching Twilight once. That being said, its incomplete, dissapointing, and builds and builds and builds, but never releases. Obviously didnt need to be split, but even if they split it, they couldve condensed it so much more and got into the good stuff. Instead its obvious theyre saving it for part 2, so it kinda slaps this one in the face.

After it ended literally the first person that got up said "not as good as the 2nd" and that sounded like the general consensus. The ending they went was lame, and not a hook ending at all. Acting pretty good, the score was good, this one looked cheaper than CF for some reason though. Lionsgate couldve done alot better. And Peeta didnt have to be the focus so hard. Its not his story.

Numbers numbers numbers

• Like 2

At the end of the day, I think perhaps the easiest answer would be to just admit that the first two films were freakish anomalies. No series has managed anything close to doing 3 $400m films. Maybe it was unreasonable to have expectations that it'd match CF/THG in the first place.  :unsure:

Before I read Mockingjay, literally all I heard about it was that it was much different from the other two and a letdown. I still gave it a chance and went in with an open mind, and thought it was horrid. I think it's a case of a book having bad WOM, which in turn hurt the film.

I don't believe that. The only people who care about the books are Hunger Games fans - all of whom will watch Mockingjay regardless of the source material's quality. You can't seriously think there are Hunger Games fans out there who loved the first two books and films but don't want to watch the third one on screen.

• Like 1

Because this forum never gets these films right. How certain were people that the Hunger Games would not make 400 milion? Or that CF would drop compared to first? Or the freak out during CF's opening weekend. When we are done with meaningless "multipliers" you have a film that will be making a lot of boxoffice through Thanksgiving and the holidays and will have a lengthy run.  

How are multipliers meaningless?  They are strong gauges on how well the movie played.  Both Catching Fire and the Hunger Games had a 2.7x multiplier, however both had strong WoM and Catching Fire in particularly escaped having sequel legs due to glowing WoM.

Mockingjay's is seeming fairly lackluster, and it's looking like the top of its opening weekend range is around 125m.  So let's say it does that and gets the best legs possible for it (2.7, the movie won't get any higher than that) and it caps out at 337.5m.  That's its ceiling.

You're using anecdotal "remember whens" to back your logic, im simply using logic and statistics based on what we have and what's happened before.

• Like 5

I don't believe that. The only people who care about the books are Hunger Games fans - all of whom will watch Mockingjay regardless of the source material's quality. You can't seriously think there are Hunger Games fans out there who loved the first two books and films but don't want to watch the third one on screen.

That's not what I'm saying though. I'm saying that non-Hunger Games fans got word that the third book blew and decided to avoid the film. Maybe not a huge number, but enough to make a difference.

You never attack movies, you re the zen guy of this board but pretending that CF was not loved by GA and that CF hadn ' t very good legs by comparing it with movies with big ow that were pop cultural phenomenons (TA, the 2 Dark Knights), really ?

I've never said anything about the GA, I was responding to your comment and that ending was incredible and made everyone want to see more. And I simply said that I didn't particularly feel that way and perhaps that was true of some percentage of others, and that why the OW dropped.

In terms of cultural phenomena, THG certainly ranks as such, so why shouldn't it be compared to others that opened as big as it did? It had better legs than Potter's finale, I'll certainly give it credit for that. You can't have it both ways: either THG is just another YA franchise that appeals to its core fans, or it's a significantly bigger phenomena that had a broader appeal (but also was more susceptible to franchise-sweatiness because of this).

• Like 4

Jandrew, definitely agree about the ending. Catching Fire had a killer ending. That's how you do a cliffhanger right there. MJ1's ending felt pretty low key in comparison. Still enjoyed the movie a lot more than most here, probably because I'm not that big of a fan of the games aspect of the story outside of what it represents as an idea (criticism on reality TV shows).

• Like 6

How are multipliers meaningless?  They are strong gauges on how well the movie played.  Both Catching Fire and the Hunger Games had a 2.7x multiplier, however both had strong WoM and Catching Fire in particularly escaped having sequel legs due to glowing WoM.

Mockingjay's is seeming fairly lackluster, and it's looking like the top of its opening weekend range is around 125m.  So let's say it does that and gets the best legs possible for it (2.7, the movie won't get any higher than that) and it caps out at 337.5m.  That's its ceiling.

You're using anecdotal "remember whens" to back your logic, im simply using logic and statistics based on what we have and what's happened before.

More historical than anecdotal. And multipliers don't mean much when talking about individual films. These films are not frontloaded and they have shown late legs. I guess we'll see.  

With clearly worse WOM than the others I think it won't reach that multiplier

That's absolutely ridiculous to declare right now, especially since it looks poised to have around the same Saturday hold as the first two. Nothing yet indicates "clearly worse WOM." Saturday range show its holding like a typical THG movie so far.

• Like 4

More historical than anecdotal. And multipliers don't mean much when talking about individual films. These films are not frontloaded and they have shown late legs. I guess we'll see.

But giving MJ1 CF's multiplier (which is both reasonable and generous) shows only a 330 total or two. It would have to demonstrate significantly better legs to go higher. This is possible, but unlikely. Edited by Telemachos

Just got out of BH6. The wife hated it, in fact hated may be too weak a word. Throughout our drive back home she was just picking the hell out of the plotholes and the issues she had with it. She did love the short "Feast" which was shown before the movie.

I enjoyed it, not great or bad IMO.

• Like 2

Jandrew, definitely agree about the ending. Catching Fire had a killer ending. That's how you do a cliffhanger right there. MJ1's ending felt pretty low key in comparison. Still enjoyed the movie a lot more than most here, probably because I'm not that big of a fan of the games aspect of the story outside of what it represents as an idea (criticism on reality TV shows).

Yup. They couldve easily made the movie feel like a stand alone and not a first parter...but they didnt. Like I said, not a bad movie, but never reached even 3/4 of its potential, which is a shame. But CF is a tall order anyway. That movie is so damn good, it always wouldve been hard for MJ1 to get near that level with the split.