Olive

Weekend Numbers THG: 123, BH6 20.1, IS 15.1 pg 205

125 is obviously disappointing for the franchise, although it's still a big number it's like 35 million less than CF and less than BD1 and DH1. And the final cross will be probably 90 from CF. no way that's nit disappointing. I'm sure lions gate will be a little disappointed, especially when most analysts were predicting 150-160.

lol That's stupid.

• Like 1

Because that's how people use it.

Which is wrong. People in these forums use the term flop so loosely. I won't even consider THG: MOCKINGJAY I a disappointment primarily because I expected 350 M months ago. 300 M, 310 M, 320 M whatever, these are still good numbers. It's just wrong to expect a THG: CF run from this. DH I and TWILIGHT taught us that.

• Like 3

oh boy it never fails , flop talk ? this is getting to be a tradition 

this forum has such high standards jeeze ! 

i'm planning on rewatching hunger games  and catching fire sometime this week to refresh my memory then go see mockingjay next weekend maybe not in a rush to see it , plus i'm in france now so there's literally no rush unlike on my home island where films stay around at max a month coz after 2 weeks all who wanted to see the film have seen it and films get shuffled down to smallest screen, i've seen films get the boot after 1 week , so yeah you always had to rush in case local audience didnt take with it !

• Like 5

Which is wrong. People in these forums use the term flop so loosely. I won't even consider THG: MOCKINGJAY I a disappointment primarily because I expected 350 M months ago. 300 M, 310 M, 320 M whatever, these are still good numbers. It's just wrong to expect a THG: CF run from this. DH I and TWILIGHT taught us that.

Doesn't matter if it's wrong.

Sing to me JLaw. Lul me into a trance away from this sorrow thread.

JLaw has eaten too much comfort food over her emotions from the numbers and has retreated into her cave to brood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-Cau8U2ho

• Like 1

JLaw has eaten too much comfort food over her emotions from the numbers and has retreated into her cave to brood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-Cau8U2ho

The numbers in her bank account? :lol: I don't think she cares too much, she's getting paid either way the big dough.

While 125M is a disappointing opening relative to the franchise past openings, it still huge. Let's not forget it is by far the biggest of the year and the only one to open over 100M.

transformers4_poster.jpg    

Opening Weekend:  $100,038,390

lulz
Edited by reddevil18
  • Like 10

Because that's how people I use it.

Sure, some people use flop as disappointment. But clearly by the debate going on here, a lot of other people use it as a film that fails to make a profit. There's no right way to use the word. If you use it to mean disappointment, then I concede that MJ1 is a flop, but I really don't think it matters cause it's the best flop ever. But if you use it to mean a film that won't make it's budget back, then it's not even close to being a flop.

• Like 2

While 125M is a disappointing opening relative to the franchise past openings, it still huge. Let's not forget it is by far the biggest of the year and the only one to open over 100M.

I think you forgot about Bay's baby. 

• Like 2

You don't get to that big of an opening unless you're a very highly anticipated sequel(usually). So The Hunger Games absolutely belongs in the same conversation as Avengers/TDK/TDKR as far as opening weekend and multipliers are concerned.

I'm not saying it doesn't belong in the same conversations but I'm saying those three films you just listed have MUCH greater factors working in their favor than this franchise EVER will.  When you draw straight line comparisons (i.e. CF had the worst multiplier of the 4) between them it seems ridiculous to me because of course it was going to.  The fact that it's even in the conversation when those films had so much more going for them is the feat.

Sure, some people use flop as disappointment. But clearly by the debate going on here, a lot of other people use it as a film that fails to make a profit. There's no right way to use the word. If you use it to mean disappointment, then I concede that MJ1 is a flop, but I really don't think it matters cause it's the best flop ever. But if you use it to mean a film that won't make it's budget back, then it's not even close to being a flop.

I don't think I've ever used the word.

• Like 1

We're getting how many next year? 2? 3? 4?

Opening above $100m:

Furious 7

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Jurassic World

Mockingjay Part 2

Star Wars

That's 5 guaranteed, plus any others that get lucky (e.g. Bond 24).

• Like 1