CoolioD1

Weekend Actuals: Mockingjay - $121,897,634 (It Went SO Wrong!)

Finally read through the past 15 pages which I missed due to doing some actual work. This has to be the biggest underperformance in quite some time. No one saw it dropping more than HBP to DH1, or Whatever Twilight Installment to BD1, or DMC to AWE. 300 is definitely in jeopardy depending on how it does over the Thanksgiving holiday. I know someone brought this up, but I did hear the "Nothing happens" comment from my friends who went to watch it over the weekend. It may not be connecting outside the existing fanbase, the people who turned up thanks to the great WOM for the first and second movies probably stayed away till the final movie comes along.

If Hobbit 3 somehow beats MJ1 domestic, this board will witness what may be the most epic meltdowns ever. And some of the most epic servings of crow since Mattrek went crazy on MoS OW.

• Like 1

The Oscar race feels pretty tepid this year compared to the last 2.

I was far more interested in Tom Hanks driving a boat and Wolf of Wall St and American Hustle (before seeing it) and Her than by the stuff this year.

My favorite is still Her!

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but… I honestly just think it was splitting the movies up into two parts that killed the momentum and WOM.

I expect to see all these franchises who were breaking up their movies into multiple final chapters to change their tunes very soon. Marvel changing IW and giving both Avengers 3 and 4 distinct titles now. Tell one cohesive story in a movie, don't go breaking it up into two parts needlessly.

Can I ask… was it really Harry Potter that started this finale trend? Because it's so not good. Though DH1 was my favorite of all the Potter movies for some reason. 

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 3

I was far more interested in Tom Hanks driving a boat and Wolf of Wall St and American Hustle (before seeing it) and Her than by the stuff this year.

Last year was insane. October alone produced Gravity, 12 Years, and Captain Phil.

Say what?

When you said "art house", the awards season just automatically came to mind. Ik thats not what you were directly referring to.

The Oscar race feels pretty tepid this year compared to the last 2.

I agree. The movies which are frontrunners feel like Oscar bait. I know that is what Oscar movies are supposed to be, but it is pretty much spelled out that "This movie was made for Awards season" on something like "The theory of everything" or "Imitation Game" or "American Sniper". Birdman feels different for some reason, and Gone Girl of course was marketed as a tentpole.

But overall I agree, somehow the Oscar race isn't that interesting either, unless you are a member of the Cumberbitches.

BOYHOOD is better than all last year's movies too.

True. Other than Gone Girl and Boyhood I have no idea what the supposed Oscar race movies are

In the mix for BP:

Boyhood

Unbroken
Birdman
Gone Girl
Selma
The Imitation Game
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
Foxcatcher
Mr. Turner
Interstellar